Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I just traded my Axis in for A Winnebago Travato. We had a Vegas and Axis for six years - over 60,000 miles and loved them. Did I have some problems - Yes. Was I happy with Thor’s fit and finish - No. with their customer support - in the first year - Yes, after that - None. For the price and what I got, I was more than satisfied. I bought a Winnebago not because I would not buy another Thor, but because I wanted to downsize to a Class B and I liked the Winnebago over the Thor Sequence. We shall see.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I did not leave my Thor ACE due to quality, I found nothing wrong with it. I left because I found that I downsized to much and needed a little more room. Sorry frankgtx if I disappointed you.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I just traded my Axis in for A Winnebago Travato. We had a Vegas and Axis for six years - over 60,000 miles and loved them. Did I have some problems - Yes. Was I happy with Thor’s fit and finish - No. with their customer support - in the first year - Yes, after that - None. For the price and what I got, I was more than satisfied. I bought a Winnebago not because I would not buy another Thor, but because I wanted to downsize to a Class B and I liked the Winnebago over the Thor Sequence. We shall see.
Congratulations!
How about some pictures...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:32 PM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Week 1 of ownership is in the books. And, we still like it! Little things like a remote water pump switch in the bathroom and the wet bay are nice. Samsung flat screen tv's (that still work) :0. Comfortable furnishings that aren't peeling or split. Oh, an exterior finish that doesn't look like it has been sitting in the Arizona sun for 15 years. So, far very pleased with the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0221201551_HDR.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	22723   Click image for larger version

Name:	0221201552_HDR (1).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	22724  

Old 02-28-2020, 01:57 AM   #25

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Nice MH Dart!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:20 AM   #26

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The new Travato uses a 48 volt lithium battery system and no generator, I believe. The reviews I have seen, show the AC running off the 3600 watt inverter, but I wonder for how long. Be interesting to see if this is the beginning of a trend or???? I believe I saw that they added a 58 volt alternator to the engine, to charge the system while underway, in addition to some roof mounted solar.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:38 AM   #27

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Nice MH Dart!
Thanks, we are still pinching ourselves!
Old 02-28-2020, 02:45 AM   #28

THOR #1765
As with the Sequence, the Travato lithium 48v system is a very expensive upgrade and you don’t see many of them. With the Travato’s 200 watts of solar, that only needs to run the fridge and lights, unless you plan to run your AC, the lithium option seems like a very expensive overkill. Not that I wouldn’t love to have the system, I just can’t justify spending that kind of money for something that i think would be marginally useful. Living in Florida, it would be nice to be able to run your AC at night without being plugged in. However, you can stay in a lot of campgrounds with 30 amp electric before you come close to what you will spend on the lithium option.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:25 AM   #29
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
My Thor Citation Sprinter is great! Go away nattering nabobs of negativity.
As our Thor Siesta Sprinter!
Old 02-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Yes, the DW and I went window shopping and bought the coach attached to the windows. It's a 2014 Itasca Meridian 36M. We looked at it here in Yuma. We got the stars to align for a deal and made the commitment.
I wanted to ditch the ws31 before anything more went to Heck! Then, after a shower yesterday, I noticed water coming out under the bathroom wall into the kitchen. Sopped it up, then watched the floor,(THE FLOOR not her) as my DW took hers. Sure enough, more water. Then, outside I noticed a cute little trickle of water running down the side of the MH from the fresh water fill. Turns out the missus turned the water pump on for better pressure while hooked to city water. It is/was filling the fresh water tank and running out of the vent pipe. So, like I said, I'm done with the horrible quality of the Thor!
Wish us luck on the new venture into Diesel pusher ownership. And yes, I will stay here to read and help out as many as I have wisdom to help. So, as Mike on "Wheeler Dealers" would say, "Taa Laa"!
Always sorry to hear someone with troubles with their RV. We have owned 2 Thor RV's and would give them both a B+. The Windsport 29m is perfect for us. Doesn't matter what brand you get you will have issues and problems. Some of our problems were on Thor and they fixed them ALL, some even after the warranty was up and a lot were things that I screwed up or broke. Our dealer and Thor have been great. Yes, they are not a Provost or a Tiffan but I don't need that. Hope your new coach is all you expect and have many miles of fun and relaxation!!!! Bob & Wendy Trice
Old 02-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
The new Travato uses a 48 volt lithium battery system and no generator, I believe. The reviews I have seen, show the AC running off the 3600 watt inverter, but I wonder for how long. Be interesting to see if this is the beginning of a trend or???? I believe I saw that they added a 58 volt alternator to the engine, to charge the system while underway, in addition to some roof mounted solar.

This trend started at least five years ago and is just now gaining momentum at a much faster rate as prices are coming down, particularly in the Class B segment. I think it’s here to stay, but won’t replace Onan-type generators overnight.

Whether it’s 12V or 48V, most systems have a second high-capacity alternator to charge batteries quickly. It’s interesting that some manufacturers refer to it as an “under-hood generator”, while others prefer to label the motorhome “generator-free”. Technically the high-capacity alternator functions as a generator, even if indirectly. The Volta system used on Travato can produce up to 6,000 Watts according to their claims. I expect significantly less at idle.

How long these systems can power air conditioner from battery is the real question because that’s the main reason they exist. Obviously that depends on many factors, including battery bank size, air conditioner efficiency, weather condition, RV size and level of insulation, etc...

The Travato Volta has had 8.7 kWh battery capacity, but now there is an 11,600 kWh option. Volta rates at 90%, so that’s about 7.8 and 10.4 kWh useable. If compared to traditional 12V systems, that’s equivalent to 650 to 870 useable Amp-hours.

Because the cost of these systems is so incredibly high, it now makes more economic sense to spend much more money to design and build a more efficient RV air conditioner. New efficient A/C that run on 12 V or 48V direct current can operate longer off same batteries, but cost in range of $3,000 (more or less). At least they don’t require power from inverter, so the typical 3,000- to 4,000-Watt inverter is free to run other appliances at same time. With A/C running directly off battery bank, the inverter can power microwave and cooktop or coffee maker at same time. Divorcing A/C from inverter adds a lot more flexibility.

It will also make economic sense to spend more on efficient windows and insulation because it can reduce battery bank size, and thus costs.

I’ve read many reports of actual air conditioning results, but haven’t seen the largest battery option combined with dual pane acrylic windows and DC air conditioner. Based on other results, such an optimized Class B should run air conditioner overnight easily. It’s doable, but would cost +/- $25,000 extra.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #32

THOR #1765
Travato pics for Bob Denman
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5F8B3D4B-26ED-4321-8EC7-5B4E6BC18CB7.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	22735   Click image for larger version

Name:	92531DE3-AD86-49FA-BF4B-4135DB59F11A.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	22736  

Name:	FFAC373C-E6A0-40D0-9FA9-6C9DBE4B7F33.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	22737   Click image for larger version

Name:	977CDBC7-0F4E-4917-BB68-7E25188C96C9.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	22738  

Old 02-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1582912113
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	22739  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #34

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
My Thor Citation Sprinter is great! Go away nattering nabobs of negativity.
Hahaha... I'm really glad you got a good one! "Live long and prosper"!
Old 02-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #35

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Agreed.
I hope yours is meeting all your expectations! I really do. I was constantly wondering, "what's next"? Another jammed slide, leveling jacks fully extended and popped breaker! Oh, or the warped slide still leaking after adding 1" thick weather stripping seal.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:15 AM   #36

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Always sorry to hear someone with troubles with their RV. We have owned 2 Thor RV's and would give them both a B+. The Windsport 29m is perfect for us. Doesn't matter what brand you get you will have issues and problems. Some of our problems were on Thor and they fixed them ALL, some even after the warranty was up and a lot were things that I screwed up or broke. Our dealer and Thor have been great. Yes, they are not a Provost or a Tiffan but I don't need that. Hope your new coach is all you expect and have many miles of fun and relaxation!!!! Bob & Wendy Trice
Thanks! I really am happy for those of you that are having a good experience and enjoying your coaches!