Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had a Freedom Elite which is the absolute cheapest of the many Thor models and I liked it fine - with the understanding that it was an entry level model. I had very few issues with it and I found Thor to be responsive and helpful with each contact. I traded it at a CW after about 8 months and 8000 miles because we had a better idea what our needs are and wanted a Class A several feet longer. We got nearly as much as we paid for the trade (though only 28% off sticker on the new coach). The new coach was a Winnebago and it had more and more serious issues than the Thor.

Motorhomes are not required to have all of the safety features of cars and trucks so that’s just the way it is.

You really need to understand what you’re getting into or you are likely to be one of our members who is just perpetually miserable and angry. But we’re glad you’re here and we’ll help all we can with the learning curve and the inevitable repairs. All the best.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:31 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Time to speak up...
Yes: I've got a Tiffin...
The build quality and materials are a whole lot better than what was in my Outlaw.
But the Dealership is what actually swayed us.
Well... That; and the floor plan.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #23

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I guess it is easy to criticize in generalities. Are some saying they bought a perfectly good coach and that it somehow started to fall apart after you owned it (took possession), or if the components failed?

Or are you saying you bought something that never should have passed PDI or that you feel that PDIs are not required (should not be) thus didn't do one and what you got was poor quality?

We looked at 100s of coaches, and lots of Thors. Had the 29M been about 10 inches shorter or the ladder on the driver side we would own a 29M today. I saw several that I would have bought. I could not go over 30' 3" to fit in pre-built spot.

The 2019 ACE 29.3 we wanted had issues and there was not very many to choose from. If we had bought the ACE 29.3 we saw, I would be in the complaint line too The Windsport 27B was a very clear upgrade and we just knew it was it (finally we get our RV) In fact, I came on this site and falsely proclaimed we had bought a 27B But the punch list had 50 plus items and they basically said they wasn't going to take care of it. They balked, we walked.

When we started to look at the Winnebago, we went to several dealers, and to a Tee all of the coaches were pristine, they just cost more When we 1st started we just assumed we couldn't afford the Winnebago But when push came to shove, and based on what we had learned over the past 12 months; we could not afford to pass up because we knew we were getting all of the things we wanted, and we did not have to worry about a long list of punch items to fix.

Mistake I see is people broad brushing the Mfgs for issues without so much the details or context. I can go to most any Dealer lot and pick out a coach that will pass my PDI and be issue free short normal product / component failures. Unfortunately, (maybe I should say fortunately in hindsight ) I was not able to go to a Thor's Dealer lot and find a coach that I wanted that cut the mustard.

I will give you an example of what we dealt with from a Thor Dealer.

We see a 27B online in Houston, perfect color, price etc. We drive 6 hours to see, and the Dealer pulled a switch on us, it was different color but he played it off as the coach I had asked about. I pulled email and showed him this was not the stock #; then he lies as he says he pulled the key with the stock number based on my email, this coach was cleaned and ready to go but it was NOT the cherry interior we wanted, I then see paperwork which proved the coach was another stock number; he reluctantly agreed so I said, why don't you just pull the other one around? He goes to check, comes back 30 min later and says that it was in the back!!! I am like..... look we drove 6 hours to see it, can we at least see it? So he takes us to the back to look at a new 2019 27B and 4 tires were flat. He said he could not find a key to open the door. The push buttons on hatch doors were rusted, they eventually got the door open and fridge bracketry was broken, some of the cabinet doors were broken and you wonder how would they fix, they spent an hour and could not get the engine or generator to start; but you get the idea. But on flip side if we wanted the light interior and different color they had a perfectly good 27B with a good price.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Dealerships...
Old 09-22-2020, 12:04 AM   #25

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
On my 2nd Thor now, Omni XG32. And I would purchase another Thor. They all have issues, fix them and go camping, some issues are so small they don't prevent you from using it, fix it at the end of the season.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:44 AM   #26

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Yep, and would do it again if I could buy this coach all over again. Couldn't ask for more. Only one wish and one thing that's on me.

Wish: it wasn't such a bear in crosswinds.

Thing: I should have gotten it aligned when it was fully loaded after I bought it. I got excited and over zealous about hitting the road and now will have to replace the front tires, perhaps more prematurely than I would have had to otherwise.

Issues: I don't want to jinx myself.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Hindsight is usually 20/20...

But if we learn from our mistakes: why aren't I a genius?
Old 09-22-2020, 01:25 AM   #28

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Because your last name isn't Einstein. How could you miss that?
LOL - JK.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:38 AM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
what if that was my middle name?
Old 09-22-2020, 01:46 AM   #30

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

... well don't they have to be smart mistakes never mind
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #31

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Well said! I also have Omni XG32 and love it. Is everything perfect? No, but is anything in life always perfect? Fix it and move on to next trip. Part of owning an RV is getting to know it intimately. LOL
Plus with all the help available on this forum makes everything alot easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
On my 2nd Thor now, Omni XG32. And I would purchase another Thor. They all have issues, fix them and go camping, some issues are so small they don't prevent you from using it, fix it at the end of the season.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Let's face it.
If it were a Perfect World: we'd all be bored out of our minds!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #33

THOR #6826
Quote:
Let's face it.

If it were a Perfect World: we'd all be bored out of our minds!

You know, that’s really true. I understand that some people despise fixing or upgrading stuff but if find it interesting, sometimes challenging but almost always rewarding. And I’ve learned SO much by working on my various units.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"What doesn't kill you: makes you stronger!"

Right??
Old 09-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #35

THOR #6826
Quote:
"What doesn't kill you: makes you stronger!"

Right??

Yup! And might as well learn to love it as there’s just no percentage in being frustrated all the time and dependent on others who may or may not have any more skills than I’ve got.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Amen...
Old 09-24-2020, 12:48 AM   #37

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have always liked taking things apart to see how they work and it is no different with my motor home. It can be frustrating but rewarding once done.

Paul
Old 09-24-2020, 01:38 AM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Lucky enough to take it apart, and smart enough to hide the leftover pieces."
Old 09-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #39

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Always!!
Old 09-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think I've got a sweatshirt for that...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1600950265
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curious enough....jpg
Views:	86
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	26277  

Tags
happy camper