Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Question Anyone rent out their camper?

To me the idea seems crazy, but there is a lady that my wife works with that rents out her camper through one of those rental places. Apparently, she told my wife that with their 24ft bumper pull camper, on average they make around $2,000 a month by renting it out to people.

I’m sure there are extra insurance fees, repairs, and other things that come out of your profit.

I don’t think I could ever be ok with strangers towing my camper behind their vehicle, which may or may not be rated to tow it, by someone who may or may not have ever towed anything before, and could care less about beating it up and damaging it. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Does anyone have personal experience it this? Is it as bad as it sounds? There are some many little things I have to do with my camper as far as towing it, setting it up, using the heater/fridge/stove/oven…..having someone with no experience just hook up to it at take off down the road would scare the hell out of me.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

No one is gonna poop in my Missus' RV!
(She barely lets me use it...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
No, I don't rent out my wife or my RV.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah this is occasionally asked on here and the general consensus is "No way" (to which I agree).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:35 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Some folks do it! Not a snowball’s chance on a stove that I would. I do have an acquaintance who kept his TT when he upgraded because of it’s low trade in value. He loans it to friends and rents it freely. I can’t see it being worth it but he’s happy.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:23 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I could never rent our mh out. I don't like the way strangers treat rental units(cars) let alone my mh. Remember large rental companies usually rent out budget motor homes without slides on the class c units. There is a reason for that. Less chance of something getting broken or abused.

Paul
Old 01-07-2021, 02:18 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's sort of like letting a stranger wear your underwear, and use your toothbrush...
Old 01-07-2021, 06:20 AM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
No thanks. If they want to rent one, they can go to Cruise America. When I checked in renting a 35’ class c 10 plus years ago it was $1000 plus mileage.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Friend rented a smaller motor home (Holliday Rambler) with a one year agreement with a rental company

Said he was lucky to break even after the unnecessary wear and tear repairs were completed

After factoring in increased milage he lost money

Very risky and I wouldn't rent or loan
Old 01-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
IMO- i would never rent out my RV. Too many nuances and things that people could break. I also would never AirBnB my house- same issue. You need special insurance to cover RV rentals too
Old 01-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
renting out your RV

My insurance agent asked me twice if I was going to rent my motorhome.
He said if there was an accident and any one else but me or my wife was driving, my policy would be void. I asked if my kids could drive and was told only if they are named on the policy.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #12

THOR #10717
I have Progressive and so long as I gave permission for the person to drive the RV then i would have coverage. I think that Progressive does not provide insurance if you rent out the RV. This is just from memory with my conversations with Progressive and might not be correct.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
My insurance agent asked me twice if I was going to rent my motorhome.
He said if there was an accident and any one else but me or my wife was driving, my policy would be void. I asked if my kids could drive and was told only if they are named on the policy.
That can be a big issue in some States.
Here in New York; they've found a way to "fix" it...
Anyone that you give permission to drive your vehicle is covered!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:59 PM   #14

Model: Gemini TX
State: Ontario
THOR #13247
I Rent My Motorhome Out and It's FREE

2018 Thor Gemini TX - Mercedes Benz on a 2016 chassis

Yes, I rent my motorhome out and yes there are more small wear and tear usually caused by families aka small children.

Big problems not at all.

My $ 90,000 motorhome is now FREE as of this year.

3.5 years in the RVezy and Outdoorsy programme.

I generate approx. $25,000 per year with a rental season of May to November 1st.

I still use the motorhome to head to Florida from Toronto area Canada for the winters and selected weeks during the rental season.

I get to select my renters and yes I refuse over 50% as I feel they will be hard on the vehicle or their rental experience would be unhappy.

Most however are business owners, university professors, pharmacists, F1 Drivers etc.

Since they drive Mercedes or BMW as their everyday vehicle they too want to rent similar on the RV Vacations.

They are willing to pay a Premium for the Big Silver Star in the front along with it being fully kitted out with Safety to Pots and Pans etc.

Simple answer is if you are selective of "Who" rents your motorhome then as a "Mobile Home/ Toy": it is incredible.

My insurance is paid for, all my gadgets and upgrades paid for and all tax deducted as I am truly running "An RV Rental Business".

All the business deductions when I do research to RV sites and travel, because yes my renters want to know where I have been and can I recommend to them sites, locations etc.

Like the two weeks I spent at Walt Disney World campground doing a full review of course, and all the RV rental sites locally.

It is a business and all these things you will pay for on your own dime is now also legitimized for IRS CRA purposes.

You are running a business and you claim your telephone, (you receive calls from renters), fuel costs etc., a portion of your home as office space.

Those who have been in business let your imagination run wild.

Summary: Motorhome is FREE now,

I am buying a couple more for my mini fleet.

I have a YouTube channel, IKEA sort of manuals to this vehicle to take any newbie renter and turn them into an RV pro.

I am there to hold their hand 24/7 to answer any questions. If fact they sign a pledge on rental that they will call me with ANYTHING of note.

I put on a mini RV School.

FYI I own apartment buildings and home rentals, the motorhome is for my personal pleasure, but like many business men I have again run amok and yes I monetized what other wise is my toy. I tow behind this RV Sprinter my two BMW motorcycles in a motorcycle trailer when I toodle around at an area instead of a dingy.

To each their own. In fact I don't want you to rent your motorhome, the market gets crowded, daily rates will fall if everyone got on this band wagon.

Almost forgot, in the Rental programme, once the vehicle leaves my laneway it is insured by the Rental company upto $150,000 for the vehicle and I take a $2000 deposit for any interior damage.

Hope this reply adds a counter opinion.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #15

THOR #13247
Renting and Insurance

It is correct that not all carriers will handle a rental vehicle.

Statefarm in Canada will not.

However the Rental company RVezy, Outdoorsy will recommend insurers that will.

I have many policies with Statefarm in Canada from company vehicles to home insurance coverage, but they have contacted head office and they will not budge, even though the Rental Company's insurance takes over once it leaves the drive way.

My insurance in the rental programme is around $800 and if only $400 with Statefarm if I only drove the motorhome.

However one days rental is $269 per day and an average 7 day rental, this increase in insurance cost allows me to rent and also use for personal in a 12 month window for an additional premium of approx $400.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #16

THOR #13247
Thanks for the response, but much like home rentals or rental properties their is game to be played, or rules of business operations. The Newbies or the uneducated always get skewered. In my apartment rental business I have rescued so many small landlords for the same reason, it seems easy and is for those in the know, but those that think it is a quick buck, that it is not. I am really sorry your friend learned the hard way.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #17

THOR #13247
Rentals - Inside Scoop Part 1

It takes approx 6 hours to turn over a motorhome

1 hour to clean inside of unit

1 hour to do system vehicle checks (fluids turn signals etc)

1 hour on average for maintenance (oil and fuel filter changes)

2 hours for Motorhome RV School and Test Drive

1 hour for Miscellaneous - phone calls, office paperwork

Past 4 years averages 15,000 rental miles on the vehicle per year.

Average Rentals per season 14 rentals.

This year I have already two bookings for 30 days or greater from May to August 2021 rental season.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #18

THOR #13247
My Links That Might Help You Decide

https://www.facebook.com/clarkwoodRVrentals/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoJ...v1D52TA/videos
Old 01-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #19

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkwood View Post
Thanks for the response, but much like home rentals or rental properties their is game to be played, or rules of business operations. The Newbies or the uneducated always get skewered. In my apartment rental business I have rescued so many small landlords for the same reason, it seems easy and is for those in the know, but those that think it is a quick buck, that it is not. I am really sorry your friend learned the hard way.
exactly- you have to treat it as a business- create a LLC, business license, taxes, bank accounts, blahhh blahhh....
I think trying to do it half way wont work
Old 01-14-2021, 01:30 AM   #20

State: Arizona
THOR #18093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

No one is gonna poop in my Missus' RV!

(She barely lets me use it...)

Hahaha yep-that’s how I feel about it too!