Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Anyone save gas $$ this way?

LIVINGSTON, Texas – Escapees RV Club, one of the longest-running RVing communities in the U.S., has been busy this quarter building out more benefits and discounts for the club’s 75,000-plus members. In addition to the new fuel program announced to members today (Dec. 7), savings on tires, route-planning tools, 24/7 RV technical assistance, and more have been added to the club’s many member benefits, according to a release.

After months of discussion and development, Escapees RV Club shared with members the new Escapees RV Club Discount Fuel Program. The Escapees RV Club Discount Fuel Program is powered by Fuel Access Network, a leader in using bulk buying power to bargain deep discounts on fuel. They have worked with over 5,000-plus stations including TA, Casey’s, and AMBEST to bring members exclusive discounts averaging $0.29/gallon on diesel and $0.12/gallon on gas and continue to work to bring more discounts and stations to the program. This program is the first of its kind to offer RVing customers savings on both diesel fuel and gasoline.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Gas stations make on average 15 cents per gallon sold - gross, before expenses.

Oil companies make about 7 cents per gallon sold.

Government tax is about 48 cents per gallon.

Who is giving up their profit?
Old 12-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There are a bunch of discount gas programs.

You can get a discount at Kroger stations (grocery store) if you're a member of the Kroger club.

If you have a BP card you can get a discount at BP stations (an even bigger discount if you use the BP app on your phone).

Costco members can get a discount there sort of--Costco gas is just less expensive but you have to be a member to use it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Although Escapee’s membership numbers are higher due to towable owners, FMCA’s member benefits programs have ran circles around the others.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I save on average $.25/gallon (gasoline) by simply passing by the gas stations that have what I view as a higher current price; in favor of the gas stations that post a lower current rate. I save even more by never buying a octane gas higher than 87 ( I will buy 85 or 86 octane). I also fill up with every stop. If I have used at least 35 gallons of gas and I see a very good price, I will stop and fill up. Lastly an I don't care to track the details, but I know my major credit cards offer some cash back (2%-5%), but I have honestly never used my credit cards because of cash back. I use credit cards for all my gas purchases for my security because I never trust gas stations owners.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #6

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I'm planning to use "tsp open roads" fuel card when I get my new Renegade. It'd diesel only and different savings depend on Station

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:41 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Someone told me recently, when I was getting a bit anal(and not in the fun way)about some silly small things, an adventure need not taken into confounding depths I cared not for:

Don't pet the sweaty stuff.

I don't buy at the offramp gouge places.
I stop easily and often.
I don't do discounts for age or other things readily.
I'm not loyal to any brand.
'My dad said' is not reasoning I often use.

Pull in, pump the 85, pull out.
The credit card cash back works somehow.

If discount cards worked everywhere, great. I'd be a fool to not have one.
But
I'll not be bound to a certain place, at a certain busy, with a certain bad driveway to save $2.50 a tank full.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #8

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Someone told me recently, when I was getting a bit anal(and not in the fun way)about some silly small things, an adventure need not taken into confounding depths I cared not for:

Don't pet the sweaty stuff.

I don't buy at the offramp gouge places.
I stop easily and often.
I don't do discounts for age or other things readily.

Pull in, pump the 85, pull out.
The credit card cash back works somehow.

If it worked everywhere, great.
I'll not be bound to a certain place, at a certain busy, with a certain bad driveway.

I agree but with the new mh being diesel and 38'plus the jeep I think Ill be using the truck pumps. The tsb app shows their prices so if another station is easier to get to and close in price Ill go there instead. And using my Costco visa with 4% cash back Ill be good.

Some of the tsb discounts are .60 cents cheaper which is a big discount.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #9

THOR #13932
If I had a diesel and access to the big buy pumps I wouldn't be without a discount card or two.
You have the best lane, the best pumps, the best access, the flatest concrete, the best egress, every time.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
LIVINGSTON, Texas – Escapees RV Club, one of the longest-running RVing communities in the U.S., has been busy this quarter building out more benefits and discounts for the club’s 75,000-plus members. In addition to the new fuel program announced to members today (Dec. 7), savings on tires, route-planning tools, 24/7 RV technical assistance, and more have been added to the club’s many member benefits, according to a release.

After months of discussion and development, Escapees RV Club shared with members the new Escapees RV Club Discount Fuel Program. The Escapees RV Club Discount Fuel Program is powered by Fuel Access Network, a leader in using bulk buying power to bargain deep discounts on fuel. They have worked with over 5,000-plus stations including TA, Casey’s, and AMBEST to bring members exclusive discounts averaging $0.29/gallon on diesel and $0.12/gallon on gas and continue to work to bring more discounts and stations to the program. This program is the first of its kind to offer RVing customers savings on both diesel fuel and gasoline.
We look at any opportunity. Currently in the Portland area TDS is still the best. I got fuel yesterday @ $3.19 with discount. The closest in a 50 mile radius was $3.59.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:24 PM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I agree but with the new mh being diesel and 38'plus the jeep I think Ill be using the truck pumps. The tsb app shows their prices so if another station is easier to get to and close in price Ill go there instead. And using my Costco visa with 4% cash back Ill be good.

Some of the tsb discounts are .60 cents cheaper which is a big discount.

Jerry
Our local Costco is absolutely horrible to enter/exit, waiting 1/2 hour + to fill up, no way your getting a RV of any shape or form into it. It's not worth the couple dollars saving on a tank full or the cash back deal for me to sit in line all day to deal with all the heated tempers of the others waiting.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Our local Costco is absolutely horrible to enter/exit, waiting 1/2 hour + to fill up, no way your getting a RV of any shape or form into it. It's not worth the couple dollars saving on a tank full or the cash back deal for me to sit in line all day to deal with all the heated tempers of the others waiting.
Took the tbird to flagstaff.
Looked over at the Sam's Club pumps while there.
Easily a 40 minute wait with a major j turn to get to the pumps in anything oversized. 3.79 85 octane. I dont know what premium would have been.
Pass
Saw the truck stop from the freeway. Packed. A traffic circle to get in. $3.81
Pass
Drove on home. $4.15 regular, $5.01 for 93 octane.
I paid the $5.01. Just me at the pumps.
A convenience tax is how I justified it.

Diesel would have sucked at sam's IF you could have got to the pump.
Diesel would have been easy at the truck stop.
Diesel not available at my local station.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:22 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Price is not always how I shop for fuel. If it is convenient and reasonably priced I will stop and fill up. Hunting down discount card locations is not something I want to spend any time with. When you get 7 miles to the gallon, any discount is quickly eliminated by a short side trip just for the discount.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:24 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I have question that I hope is NOT

But for those that have Electric RV or Electric Vehicle. How much does it cost to get a full charge?

Do they charge by the # of AHs applied to the battery or something?

Also, if my RV had a electric engine, but it also still had a gas tank to supply a Onan Gas Generator, could I run the Genny to recharge the batteries to keep driving without having to stop to get electric charges?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:37 AM   #15

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Price is not always how I shop for fuel. If it is convenient and reasonably priced I will stop and fill up. Hunting down discount card locations is not something I want to spend any time with. When you get 7 miles to the gallon, any discount is quickly eliminated by a short side trip just for the discount.
The tsb app shows all the stations and prices. So no driving a round wasting gas trying to find them. Look at tge app and if another station is easier to get into then make your choice. Pretty easy

Not a lot of stations near my house but the pic should give you an idea how it looks

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211212-173452_Fuel%20Card.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	35201Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211212-173637_Fuel%20Card.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	35202
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-13-2021, 01:38 AM   #16

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Now a days every costco gas sucks. I fill up early or late in tge day to avoid the crowds

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-13-2021, 02:10 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

But for those that have Electric RV or Electric Vehicle. How much does it cost to get a full charge?

Also, if my RV had a electric engine, but it also still had a gas tank to supply a Onan Gas Generator, could I run the Genny to recharge the batteries to keep driving without having to stop to get electric charges?
Well there are no "Electric RV's" in the US...yet.

For EV's there are Tesla's and everyone else. Not sure the Tesla rate (I think you pay $X at purchase for a given number of kWh and then after that there is some charge--but I could be wrong, never driven a Tesla).

For everyone else not driving a Tesla you either charge at home at a rediculously low rate (I'm paying about $0.08/kWh so my 88kWh car costs about $7.04 to fill up at home).

Now if you're taking a road trip then you're using a DCFC (DC Fast Charger) and the charges there vary by state (because of state laws about dispensing electricity). Most states are moving to a per kWh rate. DCFC's do end up costing more than gas in many places.

As an example: Electify America (the network of DCFC's setup by taking the VW Dieselgate money and spending it on EV's) charges a $4/month subscription fee and then its $0.31/kWh (so for my 88kWh battery that would be $27.28 to fill it up from empty). If you don't want to spend the $4/month (say you're not taking road trips all the time) then its a bit higher at $0.43/kWh (so a fillup for me would be $37.84).

In my EV (a California Route 1 Mach-E) those 88 kWh will take me about 280 miles on the highway in the summer.

We have discussed at length in various topics about the viability of an EV RV and the consensus is that right now battery tech isn't there: You'd need a ton of batteries to make it worth it. In addition you'd need a way to charge that big battery pretty quickly...

Personally I think the sweet spot would be to take the hybrid powertrain out of the new F-150 and put that in a motorhome: Don't need a generator anymore just use the juice from the hybrid (much like the F-150 does with its "Power Boost" option).

Note that if you read the specs on the Mach-E they will say it has a 99kWh battery--Ford reserves the 11kWh to lengthen the life of the battery. So its a 99kWh battery with 88kWh "useable". (Much like you don't want to discharge a 12V lead acid battery below 50%.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:31 AM   #18

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Now a days every costco gas sucks. I fill up early or late in tge day to avoid the crowds

Jerry
Opens at 5:30am and closes at 9:30pm. Yep.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #19
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
From what I was told is that the stations that accept the deep (diesel) discounts are usually higher priced in the first place.
I use regular fuel and what I do is join all different gas stations, Krogers that offer a discount. Make sure you give them your phone number on the account. That way when you go to say Shell, all you have to do is enter your phone number and the discount comes up. No need to carry around discount cards. Also being a Good Sam's Club member, you get 5 cents off a gallon at Flying J and Pilot stations.
I also use my Sam's Club Mastercard. It gives me back 5% on all gas (as a credit card rebate) and that would be on top of the 5 cents off.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Wouldn’t running the genny to keep the vehicle running negate the “benefit” of “clean” energy. Might as well just have a gas motor.

Convert it to propane. Cleaner than gas or diesel. Still emitting fossil fuel emissions.

Burn natural gas instead of coal to produce electric. Still burning fossil fuel to charge your EV car.

Still think hydrogen is the power source of the future.

We’re killing ourselves with the crap in processed food long before a clean, coal burning power plant will.

Sorry, I digressed off topic. Otherwise, I pay to play. Otherwise would sell the coach and stay home.