Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2022, 04:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Anyone towing with an aftermarket bumper?

A couple of years ago, I bought an EAG front bumper Manufacturer Part Number: JJKFB039 for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. See the photo below.

At the time, I had asked the seller (Amazone) if I can flat tow with it and I was told yes, but now that I'm getting it ready to tow and double checking, I have discovered that the manufacture is claiming that it is not rated for towing.

This is a pretty beefy bumper, however it really concerns me that I'm now finding out that the bumper is not approved for towing. What concerns me is that the D-Rings are welded on...maybe that's not a big deal.

So today, I found on Craigslist a baseplate (Blue Ox) that the guy said he he had on his 2015 Wrangler (his is a 4-door, mine is a two door). I ended up buying it. I went to mount it and ran into some issues. One is that the base plate came with two spacers that are to go between the frame and the baseplate...but the passenger side has a factory welded plate right were the spacer goes...and the holes that have to be drilled, one is at the very bottom corner of the frame. So, something isn't right.

The other thing I noticed is that the baseplate is low, whereas if I connect up to the D-Rings on the bumper, I'm right in-line/level with the hitch on the coach.

So, my question is...anyone towing with an aftermarket bumper? I'm I being overly cautious...and is there such a thing when towing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	eag bumper.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	38890

Old 07-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Just my opinion...... if the tow hooks / D-rings were bolted to the frame, I would consider using them based on their weight rating but I would not use them welded to the bumper. I also wouldn't do it if the manufacturer did not rate the bumper for towing in their specs.

I installed a Roadmaster Direct Connect Base-Plate on my '18 Wrangler JL and it fit like a glove. I had to use a drop hitch to get my Nighthawk tow bar level but its a great setup overall.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #3

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Just my opinion...... if the tow hooks / D-rings were bolted to the frame, I would consider using them based on their weight rating but I would not use them welded to the bumper. I also wouldn't do it if the manufacturer did not rate the bumper for towing in their specs.

I installed a Roadmaster Direct Connect Base-Plate on my '18 Wrangler JL and it fit like a glove. I had to use a drop hitch to get my Nighthawk tow bar level but its a great setup overall.
Thanks for your input. That was the reason I bought the Blue OX....but with the problems I have encountered, I thought I'd throw this out.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:29 AM   #4

THOR #3923
Just to be safe, I installed a Blue OX baseplate BX1134 on my 2016 Jeep Wrangler which was a real pain and then some!

I had to remove my aftermarket bumper and then fish these nuts with a welded wire on them inside the frame of the jeep to mate up with bolts...seriously??

After I'm all done and thinking..."glad that is over", I go online to buy the removal arms/adapters to go from my roadmaster (Nighthawk) towbar to the Blue OX base plate, only to find that NOBODY...I mean NOBODY has the adapters that fit on my Roadmaster which is part number RM-031-5 (031-5 or 14-6291).

There is a part that can be used...part number BX88262...BUT...are you sitting down???
I ARE FREAKING KIDDING ME????? It comes with a tube of vaseline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue OX.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	38924