Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Rocks when stabilizers are down

My Hurricane 35C rocks more when walking in the RV whit the hydraulic stabilizers are down. Ii is level, but rocks. A light movement in the bunk bed rolls all the way down the body to the master bed.

The front tires many times do come up, but rears are always solid on the ground.

I thought the stabilizers both leveled and kept it from rocking (stable?).

Any ideals?

Old 08-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
First idea that comes to mind is that you may have air in the hydraulic system.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Our experience is that most motorhomes with hydraulic levelers will still have some movement when someone walks around or especially when someone enters or exits.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 AM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
My Hurricane 34J also rocks a little - not half as much as the old Class C (without leveler jacks ) did though!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Bleeding hydraulic systems (of air) is a common requirement, although some have self-bleeding capabilities built-in if working correctly.

Hydraulic fluid is essentially incompressible but a tiny amount of air can compress easily making a hydraulic cylinder act mushy, like an air spring.

I would hope the owner's manual addresses bleeding requirements if they are needed. In any case, I would look at the stabilizers (without getting under RV) while someone is moving around the RV to see if I can see any movement of the cylinder rod going in and out. It shouldn't move at all if working right.

It's hard for me to imagine that a hydraulic cylinder bolted directly to an RV chassis wouldn't be much stiffer than the RV's suspension and tire's if it's installed and working right.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #3681
Thanks for quick replies and yes I'll check about air and bleeding the system by seeing if the cylinders move at all.

It is odd as the chassis has a straight rod to the ground and when the tires are on the ground I should have more movement as I am on the suspension (springs/shocks..) then.

I also hear slight popping noises and see small movement when no one is inside it and it gets very hot (over 95) outside. Does seem like air expanding and then compressing.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
I also have noticed the rocking when my leveling jacks are down, however, I did notice that when the levelers don't have to lift much, its alot stiffer than when the tires are lifted off the ground, so I try to position my coach to make it as level as possible before deploying the jacks. Sometimes, I win, sometimes I lose!
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #8

THOR #1183
Leveling with jacks alone touching ground results in movement via the metal shafts flexing. Cut a bunch of 2x12 pieces to 12" long and put as many as possible under each jack foot/pad before leveling. Once level there is only a couple inches of shaft being used so less flexing. Whenever possible keep all tires on the ground for additional support. It will still move some - but not as much.

Tags
rocking, stabilizer