Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2024, 09:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32EW
State: Washington
THOR #32041
Shower leak

Hi folks,
I have a 2023 Thor Chateau 32 EW and I have an annoying leak where the water miser connects to the facet. This leak is with both the hot and cold knobs off and the divert in the off position. I have tightened the connection but still leaks. Anyone else run into this? I’d rather not take it in for warranty if it’s something simple that I’m missing!
Thanks!

Old 03-23-2024, 09:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Who put the water miser in? I haven't seen a Thor factory installation.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:56 PM   #3

THOR #32041
Factory installed. I believe it is a miser (blue connection that turns gray when hot) but maybe it’s just a diverter?
Old 03-23-2024, 11:02 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlewis127 View Post
Factory installed. I believe it is a miser (blue connection that turns gray when hot) but maybe it’s just a diverter?
I think you have a Shower Miser which is installed to the Output of the shower control valves - so there should be no water pressure on the Shower Miser unless it is installed incorrectly.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:52 PM   #5

THOR #32041
Thank you. The leak is where the miser connects to the shower control and there is pressure with shower control in the off position. My thoughts are the shower control may not be working correctly with pressure pushing past it? Looks like a trip to the dealer. Thanks so much for your input!
Old 03-24-2024, 12:06 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Try a couple wraps of plumbers Teflon tape on the threads. Just don't over do it, and be careful not to over tighten... you're dealing with brass threaded onto plastic.

I wouldn't take that "problem" back to the dealer... unless there's actually a cracked or stripped fitting.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:19 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Try a couple wraps of plumbers Teflon tape on the threads. Just don't over do it, and be careful not to over tighten... you're dealing with brass threaded onto plastic.

I wouldn't take that "problem" back to the dealer... unless there's actually a cracked or stripped fitting.
Yep what he said! Teflon tape, AKA plumbers' tape.

Also, when you take the hose off see if there is a gasket or an O ring missing or damaged.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:05 AM   #8

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Hi folks,
I have a 2023 Thor Chateau 32 EW and I have an annoying leak where the water miser connects to the facet. This leak is with both the hot and cold knobs off and the divert in the off position. I have tightened the connection but still leaks. Anyone else run into this? I’d rather not take it in for warranty if it’s something simple that I’m missing!
Thanks!
If the fittings are swivel fittings, tightening will make them leak more.

Undo them and see if there is a conical gasket inside- sure sign of a swivel fitting.
If it's a flat washer, replace the washer and try again. Don't overtighten. If it's the same as 16ACE27's pic, likely to be a flat rubber washer inside, probably missing or damaged.

Swivel gasket can also be replaced, and then hand tighten and add 1/4 turn.

A pic of the leaking fitting would be most helpful to see what kind of fitting it could be.
Teflon tape will not usually seal a swivel fitting, or flat washer type as the collar is where it leaks.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:49 AM   #9

THOR #32041
It is just like the picture. I fountd where the leak is at. On top of the black threaded piece that comes out of the shower control that the miser threads onto, there is a small hole. It almost looks like it’s supposed to be there like maybe a pressure relief? It seeps water constantly with water pump on and shower control and diverter in off positions? Thanks for the help!

As I look further, the black piece is actually a diverter and the miser threads onto it. So the small hole is in the top portion of the diverter. Sorry for the long story!
Old 03-24-2024, 04:43 AM   #10

THOR #16721
When I installed my ShowerMiser I replaced the cheap plastic faucet with a metal one from the Jungle site. My setup worked better with the ShowerMiser in a vertical configuration. Here's a pic during the install process... the screws aren't threaded in yet... but the new faucet eliminated that skinny tube which was just waiting to break!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230708_155134730.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	45596  
Old 03-24-2024, 10:16 AM   #11

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
It is just like the picture. I fountd where the leak is at. On top of the black threaded piece that comes out of the shower control that the miser threads onto, there is a small hole. It almost looks like it’s supposed to be there like maybe a pressure relief? It seeps water constantly with water pump on and shower control and diverter in off positions? Thanks for the help!

As I look further, the black piece is actually a diverter and the miser threads onto it. So the small hole is in the top portion of the diverter. Sorry for the long story!
I put a screw in that hole. I hate those damn water miser things in the shower and always remove them. When I removed it on our current RV that hole dribbled water because the water miser had been removed. I just put a screw in it.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:55 PM   #12

THOR #32041
Thanks Bob. I’m not a fan of the water miser either. We rarely dry camp and if you use it when hooked up to shore water it diverts a lot of water to the fresh water tank.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:08 PM   #13

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
The little hole is supposed to be there, it's a vacuum breaker. It sounds like it is not the shower miser it's the vacuum breaker doing what it's supposed to do,weeping. If you still feel it's the shower miser call them the customer service is great, Gus is very helpful.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:15 PM   #14

THOR #16721
A ShowerMiser serves two purposes... both are advantages for those who primarily boondock camp without hookups.

If you're always tethered to campground hookups, a ShowerMiser makes no sense... just as having a bank of LiFePO4 batteries and solar panels is unnecessary in a campground with hookups.

If you're hooked to city water, simply leave the handle on the ShowerMiser in USE POSITION. That way it's function is completely bypassed and the plumbing will perform EXACTLY like there was no bypass there. If the vacuum break hole is leaking, that's a separate issue not related to any type of water recirculation valve... especially if the recirculation valve is closed.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:49 PM   #15

THOR #32041
Thanks so much for the great advice from everyone. My main issue is the dripping all night from the vacuum break. This also cycles the pump about every 15 minutes or so when dry camping. Does this sound like the vacuum break is functioning correctly?
Old 03-24-2024, 03:59 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:
Thanks so much for the great advice from everyone. My main issue is the dripping all night from the vacuum break. This also cycles the pump about every 15 minutes or so when dry camping. Does this sound like the vacuum break is functioning correctly?
If your pump is cycling that often you have a leak somewhere that's bleeding pressure. And no I wouldn't put up with the vacuum break constantly dripping.

Don't leave your pump on continuously when dry camping. Get in the habit of turning it off if you're not going to be using water for awhile. For instance don't leave it on all night, and DEFINITELY turn it off while away from the camper (like while hiking, etc.). Turn it on to wash dishes, shower, etc., then turn it off.

The faucet is VERY simple to swap for a more robust residential style.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:02 PM   #17

THOR #32041
Thank you!
Old 03-24-2024, 04:30 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes, it sounds like the vacuum break is functioning properly. But it sounds like either your hot or cold shower shut-off valve is leaking - otherwise, there would be no water to drip.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:58 PM   #19

THOR #32041
Thank you, my thoughts exactly. New control valve ordered.
Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2024, 11:46 AM   #20

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I’m not a fan of the water miser either. We rarely dry camp and if you use it when hooked up to shore water it diverts a lot of water to the fresh water tank.
I am not talking about the shower miser but the water saving restriction they put inside the faucets. You must take the faucet apart to remove those. I always remove them and replace the shower head with a better shower head like the Oxygenic. That way I get a shower close to what we get in the sticks-and-bricks. When I removed the restriction that hole dribbled water so I plugged it with a screw. In your case something else is causing the hole to drip. It may be time to replace the faucet with a better one.

To keep the shower miser from filling the fresh water tank you should put the diverter valve in the bypass position. That would be the position it is in when water comes out of the shower head. The other position is to return the water to the fresh water tank while you are soaping to keep water flowing in the tankless water heater. That way when you move the diverter valve back to the shower position after soaping up the water will be warm. The whole concept of the shower miser is to keep water flowing thru the tankless water heater when dry camping without wasting water and filling the gray tank. If you are in a campground with full hook ups you just keep the shower going and don't turn it off. The water is not coming out of your fresh water tank and is not filling your gray tank. You should only use the shower miser when you are camping without a sewer connection and/or city water connection.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote