Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2023, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #29803
Aria AC Issues

Hello All!

I have a 22 Aria 3901. The Ac works...I guess. Fan definitely blows, and the air is cold to the touch when you reach up to the vents. However during the day the inside (especially the front) can get up over 90 degrees. When I ask a mechanic he says "well u can feel it's blowing cold, just give it a while to catch up". Bullshit that ac runs 24 hours a day and can't ever "catch up". I am afraid the Conde sor might start to freeze over from being over worked, but it will act like that if I keep the ac off for weeks in the florida sun and run it all day. Could this be a freon issue?

Any help us much appreciated, the last thing I want to do is buy portable ac units to put in the middle of our rv.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Are you talking about the engine A/C or the two house A/Cs?

Condensers don't freeze up from being overworked - the A/C can run 24 hours a day for weeks.

Are the A/Cs working properly? Get a thermometer and measure air going into the unit (return air) and air coming out - you should see 15 to 20 degrees on a well functioning A/C.

If you do have a house A/C low on freon you are SOL with that unit as they are not serviceable (no high/low freon ports).

Most RVs are poorly insulated. This is especially true with the heat coming in through the windshield.

Windshield covers are your friend
Hanging thermal curtains behind the cab helps
Reflectix for windows and back of cupboards help.

Stay ahead of the heat - in the Florida sun in the summer if you let everything heat up in the RV to high 80's/low 90's you will never get the temperature down until the sun sets. Remember, you are cooling everything in the RV, not just the air.

There are several threads here that may help you with your A/C cooling problem - one is very long and contains all kinds of things to look for.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:05 PM   #3

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Are you talking about the engine A/C or the two house A/Cs?

Condensers don't freeze up from being overworked - the A/C can run 24 hours a day for weeks.

Are the A/Cs working properly? Get a thermometer and measure air going into the unit (return air) and air coming out - you should see 15 to 20 degrees on a well functioning A/C.

If you do have a house A/C low on freon you are SOL with that unit as they are not serviceable (no high/low freon ports).

Most RVs are poorly insulated. This is especially true with the heat coming in through the windshield.

Windshield covers are your friend
Hanging thermal curtains behind the cab helps
Reflectix for windows and back of cupboards help.

Stay ahead of the heat - in the Florida sun in the summer if you let everything heat up in the RV to high 80's/low 90's you will never get the temperature down until the sun sets. Remember, you are cooling everything in the RV, not just the air.

There are several threads here that may help you with your A/C cooling problem - one is very long and contains all kinds of things to look for.
unfortunately,... none of the threads address the problem, aira doesn't have the same system,... and nobody, I meaN NOBODY HAS ANSWERS TO HOW THE ROOF AIR IS CONNECTED TO THE ROOF.... not even thor will answer that question..
Old 06-06-2023, 11:58 PM   #4

THOR #12329
ok, got this figured out,... it's a faulty roof ac installation problem... the ac just circulates from the cold air to the return up on the roof...
Old 06-07-2023, 12:01 AM   #5

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria3901 View Post
Hello All!

I have a 22 Aria 3901. The Ac works...I guess. Fan definitely blows, and the air is cold to the touch when you reach up to the vents. However during the day the inside (especially the front) can get up over 90 degrees. When I ask a mechanic he says "well u can feel it's blowing cold, just give it a while to catch up". Bullshit that ac runs 24 hours a day and can't ever "catch up". I am afraid the Conde sor might start to freeze over from being over worked, but it will act like that if I keep the ac off for weeks in the florida sun and run it all day. Could this be a freon issue?

Any help us much appreciated, the last thing I want to do is buy portable ac units to put in the middle of our rv.
here's a link that shows how to fix it if you come back to this thread....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...lem-34229.html

Tags
air conditioning, aria 3901, thor