Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Atwood furnace problem

I have a 2016 Thor Hurricane 35C. Two weeks ago the furnace worked fine. The other day I was walking by the MH, which is plugged into house 120/20 amp, and heard the furnace giving a "click/werring" sound. I unplugged the electric and it stopped. I then turned the MH switch from Store to Use and the "click/werring" started again. At one time a blower in the furnace kicked in and was blowing cool air out the furnace exhaust. Now all of this is happening with the thermostat in the OFF position. If I put the switch in the Heat position I get the same sound but, the furnace will not ignite. Propane is at 3/4 Full.
Any ideas what I should look for???

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:50 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Hurricane 35C. Two weeks ago the furnace worked fine. The other day I was walking by the MH, which is plugged into house 120/20 amp, and heard the furnace giving a "click/werring" sound. I unplugged the electric and it stopped. I then turned the MH switch from Store to Use and the "click/werring" started again. At one time a blower in the furnace kicked in and was blowing cool air out the furnace exhaust. Now all of this is happening with the thermostat in the OFF position. If I put the switch in the Heat position I get the same sound but, the furnace will not ignite. Propane is at 3/4 Full.
Any ideas what I should look for???
I have a few questions, Don't shoot me...

1. Did you double check the supply valve for propane at the tank, is it full open?
2. Switch should be in USE to enable the HVAC control board
3. The heater fan will continue to run for a few minutes if moved to off as part of a timeout sequence (cool down the furnace assembly after running) - normal
4. The furnace will not attempt to light until the fan has been running for at least 60 sec.
5. Check for mud dobber, or bees nest in the exhaust tube.
6. Pull cover off the system and inspect for nests or debris inside of the housing..
7. Once cover is removed you will be able to see status lights on control board. Pull your Atwood book and check LED sequence codes for potential faults.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #3

THOR #3227
Dwaine65- Thanks for the help. I had checked all that you mentioned and even spoke to the Atwood CS. He was thinking Thermostat, Sail Switch or control board...
It turned out to be an obvious that I didn't think of. I was thinking the furnace control and motor where 120 AC but it us 12 DC. I checked my house batteries and found them at 10.8 volts. I charged them overnight to 13.1 volt output and the furnace worked flawlessly. As a newbie to RVing I am learning everyday. Thanks again for your information...
Old 01-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #4

THOR #3227
Diane 65 - thanks for your input. I checked all the items and even spoke to Atwood CS. The CS rep suggested Thermostat, Sail switch, Control board... It turned out to be an obvious once I realized I was mistaken thinking the furnace control and fan was 120 AC but it us actually 12 DC. I checked my house batteries and found them at 10.8 volts. I charged them overnight to 13.1 volts and the furnace worked flawlessly. As a newbie to RVing I am learning every day. Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Dwaine65- Thanks for the help. I had checked all that you mentioned and even spoke to the Atwood CS. He was thinking Thermostat, Sail Switch or control board...
It turned out to be an obvious that I didn't think of. I was thinking the furnace control and motor where 120 AC but it us 12 DC. I checked my house batteries and found them at 10.8 volts. I charged them overnight to 13.1 volt output and the furnace worked flawlessly. As a newbie to RVing I am learning everyday. Thanks again for your information...
Brakeman,

I'm glad you got to the root of the problem, sorry I did not include battery check in the sequence. Yes the system is DC but I was not aware that the batteries must be fully charged to run the heater/fan motor. I encourage you to keep all batteries charged especially during the winter months as they can freeze if they remain undercharged. Also do check acid/water levels in the batteries every few months. I leave my coach plugged in and charging does boil off some water.

Happy New Year to you and yours!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Dwain65, since we are on furnace problems, I would like your thoughts on my Atwood furnace problem. I am on a trip now and the furnace does not want to stay lit. By that, I mean it will fire for maybe 5-10 seconds sputter and then go out and the fan will keep running. Then it will fire again and maybe stay lit for as much as a minute then go out. The cycle keeps repeating. I checked for wasp, spider webs, pulled the burner, nozzle out and all is clear.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Sounds like it's not getting propane. Did you check how much propane is in the tank? Is the propane valve open all the way? The propane regulator isn't frozen up by any chance is it?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

THOR #1249
Doesn't seem to be a gas problem as the stove, frig and hot water take work fine. Could be the gas valve on the burner I suppose, but have no way to check that. Not getting any error leds either. Can't get to the sail switch now. There is another sensor that I can't check either. Maybe time to take it in after trip.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

THOR #3227
Atwood Furnace problem

MCR1010 - At one point trying to figure my furnace out it was doing as your is. Fan would run, burner would ignite and then burner go out. The clicking I was gearing was the igniter. It would continue to series thru but never maintain the burner fired up. That is when I checked the chassis batteries and found them at 10.8 volts.

Have you checked your chassis batteries to be sure they are fully charged?

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #10

THOR #1249
Yes, batteries are fully charged as I have been on shore power for the last week or so. Disconnected the shore power and both were reading 12.92. Glad yours worked out to be a simple solution.
Thanks.