Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Where Do You Store Your RV?

I know most of you probably store your rig in your yard. But many of us don't have that luxury.

I stopped at nearby U-Haul dealer who also has storage lockers and stores RVs. They are booked up on RV spaces and they almost never come available. If they did have one, they charge $109.99 a month and the largest RV they will take is a 30 footer. So my Vegas would be fine - if they had any space. And they don't even bother with a waiting list.

I currently have a membership in a local campground and part of my membership fee gives me the right to store my Vegas in a storage area that the park maintains. But that park is 15 miles from my apartment.

So I'm wondering what do other people do and what are you paying?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We keep ours at a local storage lot ($50/month). There are quite a few lots like this in our area--however I don't think the other lots have what our lot does: An auto restoration business.

In addition to restoring old cars they offer their services up to the RV owners. It is not uncommon to see an RV being worked on right next to an old Pontiac or Ford. I've found that its great for those mods that I think are too big for me to handle: Just takes a phone call: "Hey can you do this?" "Yup sure, we'll get right on that".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I store mine at a facility that rents private garages, so its in its own closed garage, which also has power, so I leave it plugged in always, which keeps all batteries fully charged. I pay a premium for a private garage, which by the way measures 15 X 45 feet, but since the Gemini is small, I store other stuff in there too. By storing inside, its protected from weather elements which are so destructive to the exterior and the interior.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This year: it's at the Dealership getting all of the kinks worked out of it.
But my folks have a shed that they built for their Class A twenty years ago: I'll probably slide it in under that in the future.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Put her in the Barn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop small.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	8126  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

Model: Magellan
State: Florida
THOR #6001
Outdoor storage lot with RV's, boats and a few commercial vehicles is 1 1/2 miles from home. It's gated, locked, security cameras and access to water and electricity. Keep her plugged in when not in use. Electric comes in real handy while i'm doing this and that to the coach. Pay $85 a month.
bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I see that storage rental prices can vary by quite a bit...
Is $50.00, to $109.00 per Month about what a person should expect to see?

(We eventually will be moving South, and will then have to figure something else out... )
Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Sage, I know you said you don't have the option to store your RV where you live but am posting my storage solution as an idea for others. Put pole barn in back corner of our yard. I've added a water line, 30 amp electric outlet and lighting. 14' wide by 35' long, plenty of room to open slide out, etc. Great extra bedroom when our sons come with their families or we have overnight guests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pole barn6.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	8127  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Home in driveway. Have dedicated 30a service, water, no sewer.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I store mine at a facility that rents private garages, so its in its own closed garage, which also has power, so I leave it plugged in always, which keeps all batteries fully charged. I pay a premium for a private garage, which by the way measures 15 X 45 feet, but since the Gemini is small, I store other stuff in there too. By storing inside, its protected from weather elements which are so destructive to the exterior and the interior.
We store in a similar type garage. A new storage place just opened 5 miles from our house. Has 26 garage units. The doors are 14' high and the garage is 15' wide and 50' deep. It also has un-metered electric. Comes with a keypad and a garage door opener to open the door. We also pay a premium but we spent a lot of money on our new motorhome and it's nice being able to keep it out of the Florida sun and the elements.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I see that storage rental prices can vary by quite a bit...
Is $50.00, to $109.00 per Month about what a person should expect to see?

(We eventually will be moving South, and will then have to figure something else out... )
It really depends on where you live. In West Central Florida, it's hard to find a 30' outdoor site for under $100 a month. And that's just basically parking it in a parking lot. I see some people in the mid west pay less than that for covered parking. Tons of RVs in Florida so the places fill up quick, especially during "snowbird" season in the winter.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #12

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Mine is in an inside heated storage area with electricity - the cost is $225 per month. It's a lot of money, to be sure, but I can work on it year round and never have to winterize it. That wasn't my first choice, but there is a real lack of good RV storage up my way.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
It really depends on where you live. In West Central Florida, it's hard to find a 30' outdoor site for under $100 a month. And that's just basically parking it in a parking lot. I see some people in the mid west pay less than that for covered parking. Tons of RVs in Florida so the places fill up quick, especially during "snowbird" season in the winter.
Thanks!
I'll be happy eat out less often, if it means finding the cash for some first-class accommodations for our Outlaw.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Although we have a 1 1/4 acre lot and a 14’ wide RV gate, our home is in an HOA- controlled neighborhood that prohibits RV storage. Now, if I want to build an RV garage that has the same exterior sides and roof as my house, that would be fine. I estimate that at about $40k.

So.... we pay $70 monthly to park in a storage yard about 8 miles away. No cover, no water or electric, but good owners, secured area with CCTV and we don’t have to worry about it much.

The HOA allows us to park at our place overnight, for loading/unloading. It’s a pain, but we knew that when we bought the home in 2008 (had no RV then, didn’t think we ever would).
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #15

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
We store in a similar type garage. A new storage place just opened 5 miles from our house. Has 26 garage units. The doors are 14' high and the garage is 15' wide and 50' deep. It also has un-metered electric. Comes with a keypad and a garage door opener to open the door. We also pay a premium but we spent a lot of money on our new motorhome and it's nice being able to keep it out of the Florida sun and the elements.
Sounds similar to where I store, though I think the facility I'm in has at least 100 garages, maybe more. Have a smart phone app to get into the facility and a transmitter to open and disarm the garage door. There is supposed to be a similar facility built, I hope within the year just a few miles from our house. Will move there when and if. California sun is something to protect it from too, as well as the winds we currently have blowing, and all the flying debris.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #16

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Prior to selling our home and going full time we were storing during the winter at Tamiami RV in North Ft. Myers. It is a small RV park with a gated storage lot in the back. The sites were big enough for me to park my Challenger plus motorcycle trailer. $50 per month.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #17

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Ours is kept next to our house on the driveway extension put in for the motor home. Have dedicated 30amp box on the side of the house and access to water. Considering a pole barn if I can get around restrictions on building close to the property line.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #18

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #5584
For us, small older family campground that also rents storage space. Power's not available, unfortunately, so I go out every few weeks to exercise the generator and top off the batteries. At least it's where folks can see what's going on around it. HOA expressly forbids motorhome storage.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 AM   #19
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
I store mine at a commercial storage facility 99.00 a month and it’s covered protecting it from the Florida sun.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #20

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
One of the reasons we decided on the 23TR is that it fit our drive way as well as our life style. Win, Win

Tags
rv storage lots