Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Auxiliary braking system

We use the RVIBRAKE3 as our tow vehicle braking system. At least 5 times the brake claw has slipped off the vehicles pedal, and three times the plastic connection from the units piston to the brake claw has snapped under the pressure of applying the vehicles brakes. RVIBRAKE3 has been apologigic and has sent replacement parts, saying this does happen sometimes. Most recently they sent me a metal connection replacement. Has anyone else had this type of problem, and if so what did you do? Thank you

Old 11-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Well, it looks like you are the only one who has had this problem. Perhaps there aren't that many of those units used by forum members. Suggest you call the manufacturer again and try to figure out with them why you are having this problem. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
I have the RVI3 brake system and also their tire patrol system. I have not had any issues with the brake system but I am on the 3rd set of tire sensors. Each time the sensors have gotten better but will fail after a time. I just got a new set and will be trying them tomorrow on a trip.

I've not seen anyone else with issues with the brake system but it's still a fairly new system so I'm not sure how many are on the road.

I will say I have been very happy with RVI customer support. I am out of warranty now and they sent me the new tire sensors for no cost. They even offered to overnight them to the RV park I was staying in (which I declined).

Burch
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

THOR #3584
Granted, their customer support is awesome. The product works well, and when I spoke with them they advised me to adjust the piston arm back a little, so time will tell. I do not have their tire sensors as I had another brand prior to towing a vehicle. Thanks for your input Metalgator, I am sure this system will work out.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
We use the RVIBRAKE3 as our tow vehicle braking system. At least 5 times the brake claw has slipped off the vehicles pedal, and three times the plastic connection from the units piston to the brake claw has snapped under the pressure of applying the vehicles brakes. RVIBRAKE3 has been apologigic and has sent replacement parts, saying this does happen sometimes. Most recently they sent me a metal connection replacement. Has anyone else had this type of problem, and if so what did you do? Thank you
I, too, have the RVi3. I've not had the part failure like yours but the claw slipping has happened. The brake arm is off-center to a small pedal. Do you have a photo of the failed piece and it's replacement?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
I've not had the claw come off before. I don't know what type of vehicle you have but I have 2 Jeep Wranglers that I use the brake with. My wife has a 4 door and I have a 2 door. We usually take my 2 door but when our nieces come with us, we take the 4 door. I bought that RVI since it can be used in multiple vehicles. There was one time I couldn't get the brake to come on. I plugged the brake into the 12 volt plug and nothing happened. I was staying local so I drove home without the brake. When I got home, I plugged it in again and it came on. Hopefully was just a fluke as its not done it again since.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #7

THOR #3584
I have a photo, just got to get the kids to figure out how to send it for me, LOL.
My vehicle is a 2015 Ram 1500