Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 01:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Electrical Issues

Well just when I thought I had a handle on not doing bonehead mistakes when using the various systems in my outlaw 29h, I find that if I would have had a simple electrical component checked out when I first picked up my coach it would have prevented what is now a $2800.00 repair 2 years later.

Here's the tale, hoping to save others from this kind of repair.

1st our friends at Thor didn't bother to completely install the leveling system at the factory. Seems like part of the wiring was missing from the brake sensor to the pump motor and control. The dealer had to complete the work Thor failed to do (even though on their checklist it was checked the leveling system was good) I remember that the leveling system never seemed to work right, was always beeping and continually showed LOW VOLTAGE had to be reset and never seemed to auto level. I could get the system to level in manual mode. Wanting to try and use the MH, I decided I would just live with the quirks in the leveling system.

Another incident that ties into this is after owning the MH about 3 months I went to start the engine and the battery was completely dead. I tried using the emergency start button and it did nothing. (Ford replaced the battery under warranty but didn't check any electrical systems.)

So at this point I choose to ignore the fact that the emergency start button didn't work, and that I get LOW VOLTAGE warnings on leveling system.

This was not smart, if systems are not operating as intended, there is a reason. I was tired of constantly being in for repairs, but this thinking has came back and bit me in a big way.

So last month I get down to Gulf Shores Al, and go to level the MH. The instructions for leveling say to start the MH, apply the parking brake and level. Well all I got was more beeps and alarms from the leveling system and a constant ERROR message RETURN FOR SERVICE. Turns out the motor and hydraulic pump were shorted out due to all those incidents of low voltage.

The dealership ordered the new motor and pump assembly (Yes, it's that assembly that has all those hoses running to it) and when testing saw that the LOW VOLTAGE was displayed again. Turns out under the dash was a bad solenoid, that when working properly sends an electrical charge to the coach batteries FROM the engine. That same solenoid also relays a electrical charge from the coach batteries TO the engine when the emergency start button is engaged. With the solenoid bad the coach batteries were getting run down when the MH was running all day and when pulling in the campground at the end of the day even with the engine running the leveling system was not getting the proper voltage.

So there you go my whole problem all along was a simple solenoid that cost me a $2800.00 repair, that could have and should been repaired early on for nothing.

Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
That was an expensive lesson to learn, and the hard way too! Thank you for sharing, your experience may keep someone else from making the same mistake!!!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Ouch! For us when the emergency start didn't work it was the relay or actually the wiring to the relay from the emergency start switch was on the wrong side. Fortunately it was an easy fix for myself to do.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:14 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip View Post
...So there you go my whole problem all along was a simple solenoid that cost me a $2800.00 repair, that could have and should been repaired early on for nothing.

That's one lesson you won't likely ever have to repeat!