Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #18321
Avm211nav

I am struggling with the Axxera AVM211NAV system in my new 2020 Hurricane 29M motorhome.

1. At the brightest setting the screen is too dark particularly on a sunny day making viewing nearly impossible.

2. The navigation system was used on a trip home and while going on the perimeter around Atlanta I-285 the truck route, the system wanted me to get off on to secondary roads flashing a danger signal and then it simply shut off the nav system when I continued on the truck route.

3. Because of the difficulty in viewing the screen I am now using the screen to hold my Rand McNally GPS system which I can at least see and it is so much more user friendly.

Has anyone besides me had a bad experience with this product?

Old 03-11-2020, 01:18 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Can't answer your questions but suggest you call Thor and ask them. Your dealer might be a good resource, too. Please report back when you find answers.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:41 AM   #3

THOR #18321
Thumbs up

Thanks,

After several emails to no avail with Axxera in which all they would do is apologize I did call Thor and got a very positive response. They are sending me another unit. So all should end well.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #4

THOR #18321
Avm211nav

Well after struggling to replace the Axxera radio and nav system, we found the screen is still too dark to be useful so continue to use our old Rand McNally GPS system. We signed up for SXM and that worked for about a week and then listed antenna problems cutting in and out. A dealer replaced the antenna and we were find for about a month when we again began to have significant problems. SXM finally refunded our money after an hour talking with their tech advisor who suggested replacing the entire unit again. So we will again call THOR to see if anything can be done.

Another problem is the sluggishness in which the monitor changes to the right or left when changing lanes of traffic. By the time the monitor shows the side you have most likely already moved.

Finally this unit does not have an Auxiliary port.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our virtual campsite!
You could try putting some sort of shade over the top of it in order to reduce glare. That used to help a bunch with the GPS units we had on our motorcycles.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #6

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Check your settings,and your time of day am or pm settings also double check what you put in for hgt wgt length specs,it's set up as a commercial truck and so you should be able to tap dismiss, and it will keep going as if your doing a local delivery. Also remove 4 screws and lift off plastic dash cover radio look for small wire from back of radio to 2inch square black box lift it out put on top of dash leave outside of cover put dash top back on.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:54 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Yes the Axxera AVM211NAV is a difficult unit to work with TOTALLY USLESS WHILE DRIVING. Yes it is very hard to see in bright sunlight and especially with polarized sunglasses.
Yes it does have difficulty staying connected to the GPS for the navigation system. Mine keeps giving me NO SIGNAL. MY GPS antenna is on top of the dashboard at the drivers side bottom window corner.
It also takes a long time for the side cameras to kick in. And the radio sound shuts off until the cameras turn off. VERY ANOYING. The software update was supposed to take care of this but it did not.
I have done all the software updates and it still does not work properly. I guess I will pull my GarminRV GPS and plug it in.
I have been thinking about an upgrade but the JVC KW-Z1000W is a little expensive but I’m sure it will work better.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:19 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: New Hampshire
THOR #23969
Agreed... after 1250 miles with the Axxera AVM211NAV, i was ready for another solution. The screen was dark, the side camera delay was annoying and to top it off, the previous owner apparently broke the spring loaded latch that keeps the screen connected to the main unit... every time i went over a pothole, it would pop out and turn off.

I replaced it with an Eonon GA2185. The only downside is that this doesnt have the option of leaving the rear camera on full time (a feature i like, especially in traffic). But upon second thought, i like the idea of a dedicated screen for the cameras, so i ordered a second screen and will try to split the cameras from the Eonon. This way, i'll have both the GPS and cameras available at all times.

we'll see how this adventure goes...
Old 07-15-2021, 01:04 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
First, our Axxera is installed down in the center of the dash... forcing you to take eyes off the road and look down at a DIM display while driving a 9 ton vehicle at 65mph... POOR execution.

Second (in ours), the combination of the radio/speakers sound HORRIBLE!

For rear-view (always on) monitor, I bought a fairly cheap auxiliary monitor and attached it to the rear-view mirror - where it makes logical sense. I used the pass-through RCA jack on back of the Axxera to supply video to it.

For navigation, I have a Garmin sitting on the dash at eye level, and my phone running Google Maps on a magnetic mount at near eye level. Sometimes they disagree, so my copilot zooms in on Maps to more closely check the routing. I would use Google maps exclusively, but you STILL cannot do "avoids" like you can with Garmin.