Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
The awning still can be retracted without removing the ropes can't they ? So you wouldn't have to go out in the rain to remove them ?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #42

State: Alberta
THOR #8922
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I'm really surprised by this. Generally I put my awning in as soon as it starts raining.

I have left it out in some pretty heavy rains and never had any damage done to the arms. I do have my awning adjusted with a pretty good tilt to the rear front corner so no water ever pools on the awning.

Included is a picture showing how to adjust the tilt. Look at the arm going from the upper left to lower right in the picture. Just below where the hinge point is in the center of the arm you can see 6 holes, with the bottom hole having a silver circle. That circle is a round pin (like on folding table legs) you push in and slide the mechanism up and down to put the pin in any of the 6 holes. The rear awning rail also has the same series of 6 holes and round pin in the same spot on the rear rails. So maximum tilt to the rear front corner would have the pin in the rear rail lowest hole and the pin in the front rail in the highest hole. The awning can be retracted with the pins in any of thee holes.
That's why I think mine had a defect.
By the way, I received a funny answer from Carefree after asking if they could help with this defective part. They asked a few questions, asked me to identify the right part on their website, and then "Ok, if you would like to order, put it in your shopping cart and finish the transaction". Well, that's not exactly the help I was looking for! Anyway ...
Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
You have to remove the ropes before you retract it. But the point is that you don't have to retract it. We generally have a lot of stuff set up under the awning and the only time we bring it in is if they are talking really severe weather. Because then we put everything else away too. We have been Rv'ing for 17 years without a problem with them, as long as you put enough tilt on it the rain will come off without a problem. My father in law did bend his outer pole during a heavy rain once but he said he forgot to tilt the awning, cause the way his camper was he couldn't leave it tilted all the time. Ours is up high enough that I can leave it on full tilt all the time.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #44

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Georgia
THOR #7779
awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017thor302 View Post
Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that the awning (Carefree) is not strong enough to resist more than a few minutes under moderate rain. Fisrt time I used it, no wind but a little of rain and the front arm bent badly.

I don't know if it was defective or if these awnings are not too well engineered ... Never had an issue even in (very) bad weather with my previous unit.

Until now, I managed to fix every issues by myself, but for this one I think I'll need some help.

Have a nice day, and take care!

S
Same thing happened to me in NC . I had to drill some holes and used a coat hanger to hold in place, this was after it was retracted .