Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #8922
Awning broken

Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that the awning (Carefree) is not strong enough to resist more than a few minutes under moderate rain. Fisrt time I used it, no wind but a little of rain and the front arm bent badly.

I don't know if it was defective or if these awnings are not too well engineered ... Never had an issue even in (very) bad weather with my previous unit.

Until now, I managed to fix every issues by myself, but for this one I think I'll need some help.

Have a nice day, and take care!

S

Old 08-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2942
Broken awning

Same thing happened to us. We had our Vegas in the driveway, getting it ready for a trip. The awning was extended and was caught by a gust of wind. SNAP! We have taken it to a local rv repair shop to be fixed. (They are ordering the replacement parts from Thor.). Such a disappointment!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Bummer,

I've always treated that awning with kid gloves! Anything more than light rain, I'll pull it in, (everybody's definition of light light rain will differ). Anything more than a slight breeze and I'll yard it in. Heck there are some days I won't even deploy the thing. I roll it in every night, even if there's no forecast for wind!

That awning is such a large sail area and those arms just don't seem sturdy enough to hold in even moderate wind conditions. I've sat in campgrounds and watch people pull in and set up, they will deploy that awning in gusty winds, it seems like another item on a checklist;

1) parking brake-set
2) levelers-deployed
3) slides-out
4) awning-deployed
Etc,etc,
Old 08-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Ours is tilted so in rain the water runs off the back of the awning. Its a noticeable downslope from front to back Though it does not have a wind sensor, it will close on its own, if the wind lifts it. I raised it with a broom, moved it up and it closed. I still close it if the wind starts, no reason to look for trouble. Haven't really been in much rain with it, some, but only light rain.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

State: Alberta
THOR #8922
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Bummer,

That awning is such a large sail area and those arms just don't seem sturdy enough to hold in even moderate wind conditions.

I agree. And that's not ok. I don't think a light rain or gentle wind should broke an awning. I agree that if I don't use it, it'll not get broken. But shouldn't I be able to use it without being worried as soon as a cloud appears or if I feel a 2mph wind? If nobody complains, the next model shall be even lighter, and Carefree answer would be "Yeah, you tried to use it, bad idea. Try to never get this one out, I promise it'll last for years."
Old 08-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Dam! Sucks! They are all junk. mine is the two arm one from Carefree that sticks everytime I try to put it out - have to unjam it with a metal rod to get it out. I too put it in everytime we leave the campground unattended and at night.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Those are wind sensitive, Last year we were out and walking the pups... a mild wind came up, and I started hearing banging 10 folks in a row loost their awnings. Thank you mine was up. But I will bring mine in in any rain, for the night and if we go some where. I lost one 9 years ago, and I was sitting under it at the time
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
If you are going to leave it up - nail it down!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Ours is tilted so in rain the water runs off the back of the awning. Its a noticeable downslope from front to back Though it does not have a wind sensor, it will close on its own, if the wind lifts it. I raised it with a broom, moved it up and it closed. I still close it if the wind starts, no reason to look for trouble. Haven't really been in much rain with it, some, but only light rain.
Hello Laco,
I have the Gemini 23 TR how did you adj yours for rain run off
Thanks
Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #10

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Hello Laco,
I have the Gemini 23 TR how did you adj yours for rain run off
Thanks
Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
It came that way, so I guess the factory. I doubt the dealer took the initiative to do it. At first I was going to complain, because its so noticeable, but read that, now that's the desired way to set them.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 AM   #11

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
It came that way, so I guess the factory. I doubt the dealer took the initiative to do it. At first I was going to complain, because its so noticeable, but read that, now that's the desired way to set them.
Thank You for the reply
Happy Trails
Mike
Old 08-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #12

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Damn, now I get to worry about an awning too ?
We've had some pretty good rains when I had my 5th wheel and had the awning sloped pretty good for run off and never had an issue.
These new types scare the heck out of me. In the past I tied the awning down with the springs as a dampener, never a problem. Can I do that with this one ? It's a 21' carefree but after reading some of the issues I have to worry about, I'm missing my 5th wheel more and more.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
Damn, now I get to worry about an awning too ?
We've had some pretty good rains when I had my 5th wheel and had the awning sloped pretty good for run off and never had an issue.
These new types scare the heck out of me. In the past I tied the awning down with the springs as a dampener, never a problem. Can I do that with this one ? It's a 21' carefree but after reading some of the issues I have to worry about, I'm missing my 5th wheel more and more.
I wouldn't tie this one down. We've had manual awnings that we could just tighten down, add de-flappers, and could ride out a tropical storm. Our current power awning is not nearly as stable. We did make a 3 position adjustment to allow for rain runoff on the back side and that helps, but we bring it in for windy conditions or when away for the day. Search the forums for how to make that adjustment. You can leave it that way and it will still operate.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #14

THOR #5821
Awnings are certainly a weak component. I never leave it open, if we are not there to monitor. Have seen too many of them destroyed when winds come up, even with wind sensors, that do fail. The carefree, though does have an interesting circuit to close it, automatically. If the wind buffets it up and down, there is apparently a switch, that will close it. I tested it by bouncing it up with a broom and in it went. It does have to be completely open for that to work.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Awning Broken

Wouldn't a great feature be to have a wind gage that automatically recoiled the awning above a certain limit!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Wouldn't a great feature be to have a wind gage that automatically recoiled the awning above a certain limit!
I'm starting to think so...
(NOTE TO SELF: Roll in the awning, when it's time to go fly kites!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #17

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I'm really surprised by this. Generally I put my awning in as soon as it starts raining.

I have left it out in some pretty heavy rains and never had any damage done to the arms. I do have my awning adjusted with a pretty good tilt to the rear front corner so no water ever pools on the awning.

Included is a picture showing how to adjust the tilt. Look at the arm going from the upper left to lower right in the picture. Just below where the hinge point is in the center of the arm you can see 6 holes, with the bottom hole having a silver circle. That circle is a round pin (like on folding table legs) you push in and slide the mechanism up and down to put the pin in any of the 6 holes. The rear awning rail also has the same series of 6 holes and round pin in the same spot on the rear rails. So maximum tilt to the rear front corner would have the pin in the rear rail lowest hole and the pin in the front rail in the highest hole. The awning can be retracted with the pins in any of thee holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Adjustment.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	6514  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Awning broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I'm really surprised by this. Generally I put my awning in as soon as it starts raining.

I have left it out in some pretty heavy rains and never had any damage done to the arms. I do have my awning adjusted with a pretty good tilt to the rear front corner so no water ever pools on the awning.

Included is a picture showing how to adjust the tilt. Look at the arm going from the upper left to lower right in the picture. Just below where the hinge point is in the center of the arm you can see 6 holes, with the bottom hole having a silver circle. That circle is a round pin (like on folding table legs) you push in and slide the mechanism up and down to put the pin in any of the 6 holes. The rear awning rail also has the same series of 6 holes and round pin in the same spot on the rear rails. So maximum tilt to the rear front corner would have the pin in the rear rail lowest hole and the pin in the front rail in the highest hole. The awning can be retracted with the pins in any of thee holes.

Lowering one side has kept water from accumulating at all. Wind is the bigger problem and it might be too late if you wait for it to start. I noticed several had their awnings anchored with straps and tied to ground anchors and left the awning out all the time at a recently visited Campground.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #19

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
A lot do have wind sensors. Our awning is an armless, if the wind kicks up it rolls up.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There's a moral to this thread:
"Don't be the last camper, to be rolling in your awning... "
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote