Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #14082
Awning repair

My awning is showing signs of thinning at the top 6 inches of the rolled awning. This area is exposed to the most quantity of rain and sun elements. I could use the Camco clear tape but feel it may not last as long as I would wish. I would rather use the Eternabond white tape(6 inch wide). I have both. My concern is using the Eternabond tape top and bottom. It obviously would be stronger, last much longer, and the product is UV resistant. The color change will not bother me. But, my concern is will the two layers of Eternabond affect, in a negative manner, the rolling up of the system for travel. I have a Solera awning system from Lippert. Any experience with this activity would be an exceptional help in my decision making process. Thank you, Michael

Old 10-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 34j
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11360
I purchased gorilla tape. It is super thivk, sticky and waterproof.
I looped a single piece around the top and bottom of the awning. Started at the rear of the awning and continued to front and then underneath to the back. Strong, waterproof and not even noticeable.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #3

THOR #14082
I am beginning to think I am a tape horder but I have a new roll of that tape also. The Gorilla tape is really awesome. I used it on my old lawn tractor seat and it held up for until I sold it. It survived the beating sun and many many rains. But, I always have the fear of the cloth exteior delaminating and looking unsightly. How long have you had the Gorilla tape on your awning?
Old 10-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since the Eternabond tape would be at the very end of the awning up against the coach: the effect it would have on the roll-up process should be minimal.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #5

THOR #11360
My awning had holes next to the coach. I applied on a hot day. It was on for 2 years until I traded it in this year. The tape was not faded or pealing. Stored outside in Wisconsin. It is expensive tape, but honestly outperformed my expectations. The brown color blended in with the awning and looked like a design feature rather than a repair. I would repeat it if I ever needed to. Well worth the effort and price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyClassC View Post
I am beginning to think I am a tape horder but I have a new roll of that tape also. The Gorilla tape is really awesome. I used it on my old lawn tractor seat and it held up for until I sold it. It survived the beating sun and many many rains. But, I always have the fear of the cloth exteior delaminating and looking unsightly. How long have you had the Gorilla tape on your awning?
Old 10-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #6

THOR #14082
This is my thought also. I have read several on line reviews from people using the Eternabond tape on their awning and seemed pleased. Additionally, I read some reviews on this Forum related to the same issue. But I never heard anyone on any of the reviews discuss if it affected the coiling up of the awning for transport. I measured the distance from where the “hook and loop” are on the roof edge to the outer edge of the coiled up roll with the awning. It measured a slight bit more than 6 inches so their would be about 3/4” to 1 1/4” into the coiled position. The Eternabond is very flexible when warm and I suspect it remains flexible up to maybe 35 degrees F. But I really do not know. Maybe I am worrying about nothing. I just want to do this task once and I really would like to be happy with my choice. Understand, I will not blame anyone if it doesn’t turn out right.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Please let us know how the repair process goes, and good luck!
Old 10-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #8

THOR #14082
2 years using Gorilla Tape. DId you have any issues with the coiling up for transport? I know I can not return the other tapes I have and am sure they will come in handy somewhere down the line. I am still not thoroughly convinced that any of them are anything more than a patch. But, this forum is really helping. I enjoy the feedback and other experiences offer me some flexibility.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #9

THOR #14082
Bob, thank you and I will let everyone know. I have an RV trip later this week and it rains everyday here now. So, I will do the work in about 2 weeks or so when we get back and I have time to get brave and make a choice. Going to North Georgia to hit a real nice hiking trail. Should be fun.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Have fun, and stay safe.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #11

THOR #11360
The only new result retracting the awning was my peace of mind increased in the confidence it was a successful repair. I was careful to clean with rubbing alcohol first and take my time. I am very picky about my coach, so I was not about to do that without careful thought.
The awning extended and retracted without an issue.
Since I wrapped the tape, and was careful to apply straight, the outcome was pleasing to the eye and pocket book.
I look forward to seeing what you do. Hope I helped a little.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSpyryt View Post
The only new result retracting the awning was my peace of mind increased in the confidence it was a successful repair. I was careful to clean with rubbing alcohol first and take my time. I am very picky about my coach, so I was not about to do that without careful thought.
The awning extended and retracted without an issue.
Since I wrapped the tape, and was careful to apply straight, the outcome was pleasing to the eye and pocket book.
I look forward to seeing what you do. Hope I helped a little.
Did you do this from the roof? If so, how far were you able to extend your reach? Did you only partially cover the awning or the whole thing?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #13

THOR #11360
I did it from a step ladder and had rolled the awning out approximately 6". I cleaned what I could reach, roll tape, move and repeat. Took about 45 minutes to complete.
Having the awning out a little helped keep it tight. I started at the rear and did the top first. At front I continued around to the bottom side and worked towards the rear. That way the leading edge of the tape was not exposed to the wind while driving.
I'm searching my phone for a picture. I think I took a few.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #14

THOR #14082
WolfSpyryt: That is super good information. I was planning to work the topside from the roof, then position myself to a ladder for the underside. I will adjust my installation plan to your method. I do plan to use a roller to remove any air bubbles although this sounds difficult too but I will try it and report back when I am complete. For sure, one must be patient, minimal winds, and no rain on the forecast(at least for the daytime).
Old 10-11-2020, 10:23 PM   #15

THOR #14082
To all:
Thank you tons and tons. I am almost dangerous now. Full of really good information. It is nice to ask questions to people that have had similar issues and to get good solid and reliable information. Thank you Thor Forums! I will take pictures(before and after) and send with my reply when the repair is done in about 3 weeks. It seems it is a bit cumbersome to send pics but I will try. Thank you all again. Have a great day.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
I use Clear Gorilla tape on both sides. Can't even see it.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:12 AM   #17

THOR #11360
I'm happy to share my experiences. I used a flexible plastic squeege to apply smoothly. I got it from an auto part store normally used as a window tint applicator.
I wish you the best. I'm confident you will achieve good results. Looking forward to seeing your finished work. '-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyClassC View Post
WolfSpyryt: That is super good information. I was planning to work the topside from the roof, then position myself to a ladder for the underside. I will adjust my installation plan to your method. I do plan to use a roller to remove any air bubbles although this sounds difficult too but I will try it and report back when I am complete. For sure, one must be patient, minimal winds, and no rain on the forecast(at least for the daytime).
Old 10-12-2020, 01:45 AM   #18

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSpyryt View Post
I'm happy to share my experiences. I used a flexible plastic squeege to apply smoothly. I got it from an auto part store normally used as a window tint applicator.
I wish you the best. I'm confident you will achieve good results. Looking forward to seeing your finished work. '-)
My same process 2x. Once on a 7 year old awning fabric that began delaminating. Gorilla tape added to the top side only and wrapped to the underside on the ends. Tape was still good after two more years of brutal AZ heat and Sun UV. Awning fabric continued to delaminate and replaced fully.
Second was just done on a two year old awning to extend it's life. Gorilla tape again applied topside using WolfSpyryt application process. Also did slideout cover. Done from a ladder as I do not like leaning over the edge and work below. Safer from a ladder. I am hoping this gains me years of awning service life as ours is in the AZ sun 365 days.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:09 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
On my last coach the awning started to deaminate after 10 years of use, mostly in Central Texas. On one trip, a large piece of the awning material separated during the drive. I stopped at the next wally word and bought a roll of white duck brand tape to perform a temp fix. The temp fix was barely visible and lasted for months, all for a couple of bucks. The awning itself did fail a couple of years later at the mounting channel, so I don't think any 'fix' will prevent the fabric from rotting away at the very edge.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #20

THOR #14082
This is my present conclusion:
1. Camco Awning tape - clear
Manufacturer pushes tape as best solution. Reviews are questionable.
2. Eternabond - white
Manufacturer and reviews are very positive
3. Gorilla Tape - brownish
No clear manufacuter review and I have not seen much associated reviews of Gorilla tape used on Awnings. BUT, there are more people on Thor Forum that stand behind the use of Gorilla Tape on their awnings than any.
Conclusion: Camco awning tape is a “NO”. Eternabond has the advantage of 6 inch wide and peal away underside tape to control the application. Gorilla tape is about 2” wide and would require about three strips to achieve the 6” coverage. The 2” wide Gorilla tape would probably allow me more control to keep the tape from curling or folding up on itself during installation. This would be a great advantage since the installation will be difficult especially with a wider product.
I am going to go on my RV trip then come back to the home base and do the installation. I must say that I had no idea that so many people would suggest Gorilla Tape. I know from my experience with the tape that it is a positively exceptional product. I will pick my direction based upon all of the Thor Forum’s members recommendations and will report back.
Thank you all.