Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2021, 01:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Awning replacement’17 Vegas

Not sure where to start on finding a replacement awning for my Vegas. I need the whole shoot’n match arms, roller, fabric etc. Any suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:49 AM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
My ‘17 is a Carefree Awning
Old 09-12-2021, 01:53 AM   #3

THOR #13362
After review…Mine is actually a Carefree of Colorado

On Monday, I suggest you first call Thor.
If you get frustrated waiting for answers, call….

Lazy Days/Total Value RV
Elkhart, IN
866-282-4460

With your VIN the parts Dept may be able to identify awning model for your RV
(Unless you have awning paperwork that came with your initial purchase)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5972F47-B437-4A39-A1BE-82A9B1B29E55.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	33545  
Old 09-12-2021, 01:54 AM   #4

THOR #4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I believe it’s a Lippert Solera

On Monday, I suggest you first call Thor.

If you get frustrated waiting for answers, call….

Lazy Days/Total Value RV

Elkhart, IN

866-282-4460

With your VIN the parts Dept may be able to identify awning model for your RV

(Unless you have awning paperwork that came with your initial purchase)

Thanks taylorbob1 appreciate the info
Old 09-12-2021, 04:27 AM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Not sure where to start on finding a replacement awning for my Vegas. I need the whole shoot’n match arms, roller, fabric etc. Any suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.
We were in Alamogordo, NM in June when a sudden gust of wind fliped our awning over the mh and narrowly missed the neighbors 5th wheel
I was wondering the day before why no one else had there's out

Our awning fabric is 1 yr old, the roller is ok, 1 arm broke in half, other bent, both pulled out of the mounting hardware.
Carefree doesn't sell the Latitude to the public, I would rather not buy from Thor/CampingWorld SO I've been researching different manufactures.
Domestic sells 1 I like for 2k+$`s
I can replace the 2 arms, 1 mounting bracket and the idler bracket for the roller for a little less than 1.5k $, we will see in Oct when I start looking for parts to order
Old 09-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
If you haven't located the exact model from your old awning, look inside the cabinets for the build sheet. If you find it, you should be able to get the exact model from that build sheet.

Good Luck
Paul
Old 09-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #7

THOR #4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
We were in Alamogordo, NM in June when a sudden gust of wind fliped our awning over the mh and narrowly missed the neighbors 5th wheel

I was wondering the day before why no one else had there's out

Our awning fabric is 1 yr old, the roller is ok, 1 arm broke in half, other bent, both pulled out of the mounting hardware.

Carefree doesn't sell the Latitude to the public, I would rather not buy from Thor/CampingWorld SO I've been researching different manufactures.

Domestic sells 1 I like for 2k+$`s

I can replace the 2 arms, 1 mounting bracket and the idler bracket for the roller for a little less than 1.5k $, we will see in Oct when I start looking for parts to order

Thanks for the information. Oddly enough that is exactly what happened to ours. A gust came up during a rain/hail event around Albuquerque as I was trying to get the awning back in and flipped it up over onto the roof. Is your insurance going to cover it?
Old 09-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Ooops. Be prepared to wait a LONG time (months) for the replacement. We (DH says I; OK I own that) damaged the awning over the slide of our 2018 Axis in mid-April. (Don't ask me how that operator error occurred.) )

We called Thor while enroute since we would come thru Elkhart on our way home. They do not sell direct, rather tell you to contact a dealer.

Cliff notes version:
Have your part number. Ours was found on the inside to the rolled up awning mechanism.
We ordered the whole assembly, based on our situation. Sounds like you will need to do same. We were able to leave the upper channel in place as it was not damaged. Our 2 mounting brackets were also intact, so we didn't need to remove those either. (We'll save spare parts for hopefully not ever needing them, but you know the Boy Scout motto...)

The saga & the success (for those with time on their hands):
So as we returned home, we stopped in Elkhart to see about getting parts. Total Value, where we bought the MH, has since been sold to Lazy Days. I have to say I was rather disappointed with the new service crew. After being told where to park so they could take a look, we were rudely yelled at by another person to move the rig NOW. We were in the way of one they wanted to bring through. After that welcome, the gal in parts seems rather unsure of what we really needed. She wasn't interested in looking at it for a part # or anything, just looking for a generic answer on her computer. We took the info and said we'd think about is and call to order after checking with our insurance.

Given the very poor service. We also stopped at General RV further north on our homeward route. They were much more thorough and professional. Came out and looked, got the part number from our awning, made some phone calls, and told us that it was a Carefree awning. They couldn't promise us a delivery date, but said anywhere from 6-12 weeks out. Carefree (like all suppliers was overwhelmed and running behind.)

We continued to check back periodically. The service rep was very patient as I became a slightly "squeaker wheel" with the extended wait. We eventually had a ship date of early August. It was delayed once in transit, but finally over Labor Day weekend DH was able to pick it up. (We live 3 hours away from this - or any - dealer, but have family close by, so at least it wasn't totally inconvenient.)

Now 6 months later, we were literally able to install it on our rig this morning. We did the labor ourselves. It was not hard. Took 2 relatively mechanically adept people less than an hour. Just in time to take off for a month long journey this coming week.

A few thoughts/tips:
Install labor would have been almost as costly as the parts and who knows how long that wait would have been. We opted to DIY with no regrets.
If this is your big awning, it may take 3 people to juggle the length, but it really isn't heavy.
Do the repair on a wind-still day.
The replacement did not come with directions. YouTube is your friend. There are many minor variations on the theme for you to watch. Do your homework.
Have all your tools, ladders, parts, and silicon spray assembled and at the ready before you start. Made life easy.
Do NOT pull the tension pin until you are sure you have everything where it needs to be and secured in place. KEEP FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY.
Our awning had a slight slack in it (which was meant to be) but tightened right up properly once the pin was pulled.
Tested deploying the awning and all seems to be as it should.

Now we can drive off into the New Mexico as happy campers.

Wishing you success with your replacement. The long waiting will be the worst part.

ETA: We will be very careful about deploying the awnings on this trip as we are NM bound. sounds like karma may not be kind there at the moment.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
Ooops. Be prepared to wait a LONG time (months) for the replacement. We (DH says I; OK I own that) damaged the awning over the slide of our 2018 Axis in mid-April. (Don't ask me how that operator error occurred.) )

We called Thor while enroute since we would come thru Elkhart on our way home. They do not sell direct, rather tell you to contact a dealer.

.)

Now 6 months later, we were literally able to install it on our rig this morning. We did the labor ourselves. It was not hard. Took 2 relatively mechanically adept people less than an hour. Just in time to take off for a month long journey this coming week.

The replacement did not come with directions. YouTube is your friend. There are many minor variations on the theme for you to watch. Do your homework.
Have all your tools, ladders, parts, and silicon spray assembled and at the ready before you start. Made life easy.
Do NOT pull the tension pin until you are sure you have everything where it needs to be and secured in place. KEEP FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY.
Our awning had a slight slack in it (which was meant to be) but tightened right up properly once the pin was pulled.
Tested deploying the awning and all seems to be as it should.

Now we can drive off into the New Mexico as happy campers.

Wishing you success with your replacement. The long waiting will be the worst part.

ETA: We will be very careful about deploying the awnings on this trip as we are NM bound. sounds like karma may not be kind there at the moment.
After our patio awning came in contact with a Stop Sign, I ordered all the required parts from Amazon. They showed up in five days and fit perfectly. I rented a powered scissors lift to install the arms and roller. Installation directions are on the CofC website for my Latitude.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #10

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Oddly enough that is exactly what happened to ours. A gust came up during a rain/hail event around Albuquerque as I was trying to get the awning back in and flipped it up over onto the roof. Is your insurance going to cover it?
Have you filed a claim?

We haven't yet.
I'm afraid to, the last wind damage claim we filed on our sticks and bricks roof was denied, I responded be denying their rate increase
Old 09-12-2021, 09:46 PM   #11

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
If you haven't located the exact model from your old awning, look inside the cabinets for the build sheet. If you find it, you should be able to get the exact model from that build sheet.

Good Luck
Paul
Just an FYI
I purchased new and there’s no build sheet inside any cabinet, I’ve searched everywhere twice.

But I did sign up at the Thormotorcoach website and registered under “Owners Resource”
That area tells me everything abt my unit.
So I suggest that Jerry B does the same.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/

Click-on “LOGIN” to register and then get all your coach info