Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Thor Freedom Traveler vs A.C.E.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the difference(s) between the Thor Freedom Traveler (Class A, not the freedom elite class C) and the ACE? I visited a new CW in our area, and they had a couple of FT’s for sale. I had never seen one, nor can I find anything on Thor’s website about them. I have an ACE 30.2 and am very pleased with it. Not interested in buying a FT, just curious as to knowing more about them. Whatchall got?

Old 10-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Florida
THOR #10918
Freedom Traveler

I have a Freedom Traveler A30. Also comes as a A27. The A30 is 31.9 vs the A27 at 28.0. The A30 has a drop down bunk up front, dinette makes into a bed, sofa makes into a bed and the Queen bed is in the rear. The whole wall on the driver side from the drivers seat back is one big slider . The A30 has a little larger bathroom shower than the A27. The wheelbase of the A30 is 208 vs 178 on the A27. The A27 has two sliders; one for the queen size bed and one for the dinette and sofa. Both models have three TVs (One outside) The rest is standard...micro, Fridge (all electric), dual sink, coffee table. The A30 has lots more storage area underneath and inside primarily due to its length. The A30 has two 13.5KW A/Cs vs the A27 having one. That drives the size of the generator...the A30 has a Onan 5500 vs The A27 which has a Onan 4000. That pretty well sums up the Freedom Traveler series for the 2018 model year. Good luck, safe travels
Old 10-25-2018, 11:36 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
THOR #10918
Freedom Traveler

Found this on the internet. Might get you some additional info you neeed

https://www.freedom-motorhomes.com/f...oor-plans/a30/
Old 10-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #4

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
I have a Freedom Traveler A30. Also comes as a A27. The A30 is 31.9 vs the A27 at 28.0. The A30 has a drop down bunk up front, dinette makes into a bed, sofa makes into a bed and the Queen bed is in the rear. The whole wall on the driver side from the drivers seat back is one big slider . The A30 has a little larger bathroom shower than the A27. The wheelbase of the A30 is 208 vs 178 on the A27. The A27 has two sliders; one for the queen size bed and one for the dinette and sofa. Both models have three TVs (One outside) The rest is standard...micro, Fridge (all electric), dual sink, coffee table. The A30 has lots more storage area underneath and inside primarily due to its length. The A30 has two 13.5KW A/Cs vs the A27 having one. That drives the size of the generator...the A30 has a Onan 5500 vs The A27 which has a Onan 4000. That pretty well sums up the Freedom Traveler series for the 2018 model year. Good luck, safe travels
Thanks Queenie! My ACE 30.2 has almost exactly the same options/specs as your FT. Thats what struck me as I looked at the FT at Camping World - it looked VERY similar to my ACE. In fact, it appeared to me that the FT and the ACE would be in direct competition with each other. Kind of a head-scratcher as to why Thor would make two different lines of motorhomes in direct competition with each other? Plus, I’m totally ADDICTED to looking at RV’s, so there’s that!
Old 10-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Thanks Queenie! My ACE 30.2 has almost exactly the same options/specs as your FT. Thats what struck me as I looked at the FT at Camping World - it looked VERY similar to my ACE. In fact, it appeared to me that the FT and the ACE would be in direct competition with each other. Kind of a head-scratcher as to why Thor would make two different lines of motorhomes in direct competition with each other? Plus, I’m totally ADDICTED to looking at RV’s, so there’s that!
They do all the time: Axis/Vegas, Windsport/Challenger, Hurricane/Miramar, Four Winds/Chateau, Compass/Gemini, etc.

The different brands with identical floorplans are so that two dealers "next to each other" don't have to sell the same brand to sell comparable units.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Queenie...CW is calling on you for a sales trainer. If only a single salesperson could learn half that much about anything they try to sell. Makes me want to go buy one now!!! You just said more in a single paragraph than every salesperson combined said during my entire search for my current MH. And you didn't make up any of it!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
We saw one at CW in Bowling Green a few weeks ago and first thought it was a Windsport. Never heard of Freedom Traveler until then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDABD74C-276A-4707-A6C8-A4C80D091CB9.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	13663  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Thor Motor Coach plant 750 produces the Windsport, Hurricane, ACE and Freedom Traveler. Freedom Traveler is produced only for Camping World and that brand is not sold by any other Thor MC dealer. The reason for the different names on nearly identical coaches is marketing. For instance the Thor MC dealer in Nashville, TN is Cullum & Maxey. Next door is a large Camping World. Since Cullum & Maxey has been a Thor dealer since 2009 and has the area franchise, it can be the only Thor MC dealer in the franchise area. Camping World took over the Fleetwood dealership in 2015 so Camping World of Nashville cannot sell any Thor branded coaches but is does sell the Camping World Freedom Elite and Freedom Traveler models manufactured by Thor.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I like the FT, Nice looking front end.

When I looked into them it seems like the FT was more stripped down (and at a lower price) but IMO it was not low enough to justify missing some of the features the ACE (or Hurricane) have for just a little more money.

I like all the bells and whistles but others might be fine without them.

It all comes down to price IMO.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #10

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
We saw one at CW in Bowling Green a few weeks ago and first thought it was a Windsport. Never heard of Freedom Traveler until then.
Same! That’s exactly where I was when I saw the FT. The CW in Bowling Green is nice tho!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #11

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor Motor Coach plant 750 produces the Windsport, Hurricane, ACE and Freedom Traveler. Freedom Traveler is produced only for Camping World and that brand is not sold by any other Thor MC dealer. The reason for the different names on nearly identical coaches is marketing. For instance the Thor MC dealer in Nashville, TN is Cullum & Maxey. Next door is a large Camping World. Since Cullum & Maxey has been a Thor dealer since 2009 and has the area franchise, it can be the only Thor MC dealer in the franchise area. Camping World took over the Fleetwood dealership in 2015 so Camping World of Nashville cannot sell any Thor branded coaches but is does sell the Camping World Freedom Elite and Freedom Traveler models manufactured by Thor.
Thanks Beau...that explains it! My curiosity is now satisfied!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
CW had a brochure I picked up when the FT came out last summer (I think you can only get the FT at CW). And after looking at what features you get (and dont get) if I was in the market I would purchase an ACE or Hurricane.

Seems like the bedroom was tighter on the FT as well. No outside TV, it was 30 amp service with one AC. But at a good price point.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Same! That’s exactly where I was when I saw the FT. The CW in Bowling Green is nice tho!
YES! We stopped there on the way to NY and on the way back! It’s the nicest CW I’ve seen and the staff is very friendly! 👍🏻
Old 11-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #14

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
THOR #13214
Just had to post this as I read that one of you posted about CW and some of their salesman. I have a 5ver now and this is my 4th camper, 2 tt and 2 5vers,, anyway I talked to the salesman and he showed me a bunch of 5vers. I told him I was a newbie,, boy did he ever try to feed me a bunch of bull****,, was kind of fun,, never did reveal my secret