Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Axis 24.1 and leveling

Just curious what other Axis 24.1 owners use for leveling MH? Also does the MH have to be level for the refrigerator to work on both 110 and LP Gas? My driveway is not level and am thinking what I need to power frig in driveway.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I haven't leveled at all because we have only stayed in RV parks with paved and fairly level pads. The refrigerator on AC and gas will work, but at some point if waaay off level it probably won't. Others more experienced might be able to tell you where that point is.

I am going to buy 4 scissors jack's to put under the frame in front and back -- more to stabilize the coach so it doesn't bounce around when moving around in it. In the process of stabilizing it and providing a more solid reference, i'll adjust the levelcas well.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
leshunter, I use the Lynx Leveler leveling blocks and a couple of Camco gradual inclined levelers and they seem to work well. You can find them at Walmart or Amazon. I have 2 packs of the Lynx levelers (10 to a case). I haven't found a campsite yet where the front was higher than the rear for some reason and I always try to get it as level as possible front to rear and left to right. I think if you're somewhere close to level the fridge will work well on 110v or gas.

I also use the levelers whenever I am parking the RV for an extended period (2 weeks or so) to get the tires off the concrete. I've read that it's better for the tires to park it this way. And if you use blocks for leveling the rear, you should use them on the inside rear tires as well as outside tires.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I also use the lynx leveler blocks. The most sloped spot we have to park in is our driveway. To get the unit level enough for the fridge to work I have to use 3 packages of the blocks (if I don't the fridge is tilted enough that it doesn't cool at all).
Here it is in our driveway:

So far I've only had to level the camper by about 1" at any campground.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #5

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I bought a "barn stall mat" from a local farm and ranch store. It's 4 x 6 feet, 3/4 of an inch thick, and made of old, ground up tires.

The intent is to cut it up into a set of 12 x 24" and 18 x 24" rectangles for use under the front and rear wheels, respectively. The word "intent" means that I've had the mat for sime time, but haven't got around to the cutting it up.

I saw a "how-to" over on IRV2 and it looked like a good idea. It's cheap at less than $50 for the mat. Provides enough rectangles for plenty of lift when needed, and is pretty much indestructible. The only downside is that it is pretty heavy.

They should work great, once I get them cut up...

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
I bought a "barn stall mat" from a local farm and ranch store. It's 4 x 6 feet, 3/4 of an inch thick, and made of old, ground up tires.

The intent is to cut it up into a set of 12 x 24" and 18 x 24" rectangles for use under the front and rear wheels, respectively. The word "intent" means that I've had the mat for sime time, but haven't got around to the cutting it up.

I saw a "how-to" over on IRV2 and it looked like a good idea. It's cheap at less than $50 for the mat. Provides enough rectangles for plenty of lift when needed, and is pretty much indestructible. The only downside is that it is pretty heavy.

They should work great, once I get them cut up...

Regards,

Randy
Randy - you will find the mat easy to cut with a sharp box knife or something similar. Mark lines where you want to cut. Bend the mat (roll it) to see a line to cut. No need to "saw" through it. Cut into the mat. It will start to seperate. Go back to the beginning and complete the cut. Takes more finesse than strength!
Good luck!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2521
Every article I have ever read says if the rv is level enough to comfortably walk around in, sleep in, etc, then it should be good to go for the fridge.

I use several 1x6 pine boards and keep stacking them until it's level enough. Cheap and easy to make. I keep a plastic tub full of them in various lengths. Don't mind pitching them when they get filthy or cracked. They typically last four to five years before replacement time.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #8

THOR #3027
Jamie, How much are you having to raise with 3 packs in your driveway. I just ordered my 24.1 and looking to get ready for a March/April delivery. My drive has a little slope. Thanks Les Hunter
Old 12-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #9

THOR #3027
Larry & Jamie,
Any reason for the Lynx Levelers vs the Camco? I was thinking of the Camco levelers and the Camco gradual incline in combination might work for me.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I use the Lynx levelers because I already had them for our 5th wheel (I did have to pick up an extra set though for the driveway).

The 3 sets of levelers raise the front of the camper by a good 6".
Old 12-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Jamie,

How long can you leave the unit on the levelers and have them keep their shape? I have a 6 to 8 inch slope too but was afraid to leave them all winter. Six inches would make it level enough to keep the fridge on.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:55 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Good question; I don't know since we've never left it like that more than about 48 hours. I only level it like that when we're running the fridge.

Our storage lot is pretty much level...
Old 12-17-2015, 03:19 AM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Jamie,

How long can you leave the unit on the levelers and have them keep their shape? I have a 6 to 8 inch slope too but was afraid to leave them all winter. Six inches would make it level enough to keep the fridge on.
I leave mine on the levelers under my cover for a month or so occasionally and haven't seen any loss of shape on them parked on my concrete pad. I also use the 3 step gradual incline levelers (Camco?) in tandem with the Lynx levelers.