Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The 24.1 bathroom needs about $1,000 of handyman labor and parts to make the biggest shower in the class size.

You hang the sink pedestal on the door and install a larger shower pan.
Close the door and the pedestal rides over the new larger shower pan.

Easy.
I don't mind the shower or I'd have already finished this easy mod.

The last page of my signature thread shows four or five easy 24.1 bathroom mods.

It's a KIT.
Make it the way you want it not the way some budgeted wonk designer built it to meet a price point.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The 24.1 bathroom needs about $1,000 of handyman labor and parts to make the biggest shower in the class size.

You hang the sink pedestal on the door and install a larger shower pan.
Close the door and the pedestal rides over the new larger shower pan.

Easy.
I don't mind the shower or I'd have already finished this easy mod.

The last page of my signature thread shows four or five easy 24.1 bathroom mods.

It's a KIT.
Make it the way you want it not the way some budgeted wonk designer built it to meet a price point.
A moving sink is not a bad idea to maximize limited space. There are quite a few Class Bs with sinks over the toilet that pivot up out of way so a person can sit. The first application I saw like that was on Winnebago B+ decades ago.

More recently Winnebago is introducing same concept but with different designs on new EKKO floorplans. On smaller unit the sink pivots over toilet with movable wall to create a semi-dry shower. On larger floorplan, sink slides away from wall over toilet to make it accessible while standing. Pictures below.

I personally prefer simplicity in design, which is one reason I don’t like slides or anything that moves if it can be avoided. If we owned a 24.1, the shower would be plenty large for our needs, so I wouldn’t modify it either. My preferred “fix” would be for Thor to remove the slide and make bathroom larger with the space that was gained. Two birds, one stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF95E2A1-B935-4DA0-AECE-4B31D04F2593.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	28287   Click image for larger version

Name:	F31F21DA-F39B-4C20-8593-92A7A099AD4B.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	28288  

Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #23

THOR #13932
I'm kind of sorry that with production since 2014 and surely design from at least a week before that(ha!) how Thor didn't have a moment of clarity and realize how advertising
'The biggest bathroom and shower in its class, TWICE as big as all others'
would be to their GREAT advantage.
Maybe next year....

Thor should invite some of us to a design meeting or they should MAKE their zometimes lackadaisical design staff spend two weeks every year in the prototype models. If sillyserf, masters degree in bridge-engineering, cubicle guy doesn't have a list of noncostly mods at the end of that two weeks, FIRE them.
(I think the 24.1 layout is brilliant. I think its evolution has been ignored. It's my 'what have you done lately?' school of thought)

The first time I read here of the 24.1 shower complaint, I had a solution within 30 seconds of staring at the shower. A bigger but same cost pan and $8 in plumbing.
But
I'm happy with ours as it is.
Maybe if my mod-box ever empties I'll do the shower just for the sport of it.

Give me a week in any mid-line motorhome and I'll come up with 30 marketable changes costing exactly+- the same as their current 'theorized' decisions.

And I ain't NOTHIN' special.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:29 AM   #24

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

....cut....

(I think the 24.1 layout is brilliant. I think its evolution has been ignored. It's my 'what have you done lately?' school of thought)

....cut.....

I agree the 24.1 is the best Axis/Vegas floorplan, which partly explains why it’s the most popular and longest-lived. Lowest cost helps too, plus other stuff.

The question your comment brings up is just how much “evolution” can a motorhome floorplan go through and still keep the same floorplan designation.

For example, if Thor offered an “option” to eliminate the slide and or add a dinette, could it still be called a 24.1? Other RV brands have done just that and kept the name, so I suppose it’s doable.

However, if changes are greater, like elevating Twin/King beds and adding garage below, would it still qualify as an option instead of becoming a new floorplan? How about a larger bath? Would it still be 24.1? In case of Tiffin Wayfarer, they changed floorplan designation when they added the bike garage.

From a marketing standpoint the “24.1” designation must have value, and I’m not sure Thor would want to lose that advantage. So how much is too much evolution while keeping original name?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:36 AM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I agree the 24.1 is the best Axis/Vegas floorplan, which partly explains why it’s the most popular and longest-lived. Lowest cost helps too, plus other stuff.

The question your comment brings up is just how much “evolution” can a motorhome floorplan go through and still keep the same floorplan designation.

For example, if Thor offered an “option” to eliminate the slide and or add a dinette, could it still be called a 24.1? Other RV brands have done just that and kept the name, so I suppose it’s doable.

However, if changes are greater, like elevating Twin/King beds and adding garage below, would it still qualify as an option instead of becoming a new floorplan? How about a larger bath? Would it still be 24.1? In case of Tiffin Wayfarer, they changed floorplan designation when they added the bike garage.

From a marketing standpoint the “24.1” designation must have value, and I’m not sure Thor would want to lose that advantage. So how much is too much evolution while keeping original name?
Considering they control what the name is (e.g. there is nothing constraining them to the numerical designation) they could have a whole "line" of 24.1's:
24.1BG (Bike Garage)
24.1LL (Large Loo)
24.1NS (No Slide)
24.1NSBG
etc.

Thor is already familiar with that naming convention as their Cougar line of trailers uses letters to designate slides, rear kitchen, bunkhouse, etc.

Then they wouldn't lose the 24.1 familiarity and just have variations.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:26 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Considering they control what the name is (e.g. there is nothing constraining them to the numerical designation) they could have a whole "line" of 24.1's:
24.1BG (Bike Garage)
24.1LL (Large Loo)
24.1NS (No Slide)
24.1NSBG
etc.

Thor is already familiar with that naming convention as their Cougar line of trailers uses letters to designate slides, rear kitchen, bunkhouse, etc.

Then they wouldn't lose the 24.1 familiarity and just have variations.

Too messy to designate when multiple options could exist simultaneously. Maybe a major revision like 24.1 BG for bike garage and treat others just as options like a second A/C or extra TVs.

I suppose Winnebago has been doing what you suggest with Travato and others. They have Travato 59G and 59GL when it includes lithium package. By the way, just noticed Winnebago modified Travato 59G and 59GL floor plans and kept same designation.

On Axis/Vegas, I still want to know why 27.7 floor plan isn’t 27.1? Why break from numbering system used on all other Axis/Vegas?
Old 01-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Vegas 25.6 my wife and find amazing and most internals controlled from our phone. Excellent heat. Driving a/c. 10 to 14 mph
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
On Axis/Vegas, I still want to know why 27.7 floor plan isn’t 27.1? Why break from numbering system used on all other Axis/Vegas?
Probably a couple of reasons.

They already had 27.1 and 27.2 designations in the ACE line; and,
The 27 is the seventh floorplan in the Axis/Vegas line.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #29

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #10707
24.1 tweaks

As we’ve taken a turn from quality to floorplans seeking to tweak our near-perfect 24.1… enlarge the slide as in the 25.5. Put the pantry rather than the refrigerator into the slide. Put the bathroom sink where the pantry was. Is the remaining bathroom space large enough for a rectangular shower and the toilet? Will the bathroom door closest to the fridge still align to completely open?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F271F677-AC9D-4513-896F-8775537604C9.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	28325  
Old 01-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarshore View Post
As we’ve taken a turn from quality to floorplans seeking to tweak our near-perfect 24.1… enlarge the slide as in the 25.5. Put the pantry rather than the refrigerator into the slide. Put the bathroom sink where the pantry was. Is the remaining bathroom space large enough for a rectangular shower and the toilet? Will the bathroom door closest to the fridge still align to completely open?
So you want the bathroom from a 25.1 with the rear beds from a 24.1:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-30 082529.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	28326
Old 01-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I decided against the 24.1... I want a dedicated pantry, and that's sorely lacking. One could add 6" to the length and put a pantry between the slide and the bathroom and add 6" of counter space on the other side. Then it would be perfect.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #32

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
The 25' 6" overall length of the Axis 24.1 lets me semi-legitimately say that it is a 25' motorhome when reserving campsites or stays at Boondockerswelcome. I wouldn't want it any longer.

David
Old 01-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
I decided against the 24.1... I want a dedicated pantry, and that's sorely lacking. One could add 6" to the length and put a pantry between the slide and the bathroom and add 6" of counter space on the other side. Then it would be perfect.
You just have to designate a spot as the pantry. On ours the cabinet above the sink is the pantry--and quite a large one at that. Since we don't have the oven the dishes go in the three drawers below the stove.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #34

THOR #2121
The 25.2 had nice-size bathroom. Thor could have added Twin/King beds at rear by adding 6 inches and using standard 24X36 shower. That has been discussed extensively.

Or they could offer a similar larger 24.1 bathroom (with 24X36 shower) with a no-slide option while keeping same 25’-6” length. There are a million possible variations, but they get in way of cost and profitability.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3024762-43CE-4F70-B664-19FE8B3C19C6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	28327  
Old 01-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Just get the 25.6. Solves all issues
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:05 PM   #36

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Vegas 25.6 my wife and find amazing and most internals controlled from our phone. Excellent heat. Driving a/c. 10 to 14 mph
Quote:

You have at least solved the problem of fuel economy with 25.6.

How do you get up to 14 MPG unless driving downhill, with tailwind, and at 45 MPH?

Just kidding, I know that’s not sustainable.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #37

THOR #10707
24.1 pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
We don’t need to hang much… The closet next to the 24.1 refrigerator would make a huge pantry even if you designate 6 inches for hanging clothes. Overhead cabinets in the bedrooms provide enough storage. We aren’t full time. The goal for me would be to keep to the length of the 24.1; OK to increase the size of the slide a bit. Very happy with what we have...still fun to think of what the next iteration of the 24.1 — whatever they call it — might be.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:40 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Not at all. Sure the 25.6 has interior room but very little exterior storage. The 24.1 has the most exterior storage of any Axis/Vegas unit (it has almost double the 25.6's storage).

I wouldn't give that up--I love all that storage on our 24.1. It swallowed just about everything from our old 31ft 5th wheel's exterior storage except for one chair and the kingpin stabilizer (which, obviously, we didn't need any more).
Old 01-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #39

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarshore View Post

....cut.... The goal for me would be to keep to the length of the 24.1; OK to increase the size of the slide a bit. .....cut....

Are you referring to make it longer so you can add the pantry from previous post? Or is there more to your goal, like trying to make it deeper or something else?

I’m curious why you want a larger slide because Thor manufactured at least the 25.2 and 25.3 floor plans without front slides, and they seemed more than adequate in space for us. Granted, we tour in very small space, so our bar is set pretty low. It’s all relative.

Whatever we get, it has to be small enough that we don’t have to tow a car. Perhaps an Axis 22.1 or 23.1 is coming.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #40

THOR #13932
Chance:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2021-01-30

Small
Pretty cool.
No slide.
Only 2,300 miles
THREE WAY fridge.

Shower is as big as a 24.1 and the bathroom has a window.