Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2022, 04:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Finally the Press is looking

What RVs Not To Buy: 5 Models You’ll Want To Avoid

https://camperreport.com/what-rvs-not-to-buy/

Old 09-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
I don't think that qualifies as press or journalism, zero facts. Echoing online complaints (valid or otherwise) as a basis for an article is lazy.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:11 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Well, it seems like a truthful overview to me. Thor's entry level products are produced with low end materials and have no quality control. Sure, after 5 summers of ownership and use, I have my Hurricane up to par and like it's layout. But for anyone to think it is a quality coach would be a stretch.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:26 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Gripe, grump and, bitch article: for those who like to wallow in that sort of thing...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Every time somebody trots out another "serious report" about quality: the Chorus starts up again...
If you can't stand what you bought: sell it and kwityerbitchin'

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1663612504
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Singalong.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	39506  
Old 09-20-2022, 01:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It’s not press, it’s a blog and the article is by a blogger not a journalist.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Gripe, grump and, bitch article: for those who like to wallow in that sort of thing...

Some people like salt instead of sugar in their coffee...that's what this "article" is about. It's mostly an AD driven post with a subject line that will draw attention. The only thing reasonably accurate is the pandemic reference. Most coaches built pre-pandemic were built better, under normal timelines. The volume demand the lock down created set quality aside. If the real "media" would look into these issues ans get this industry exposed on national TV it might make a difference. Where is Andy Rooney when we need him?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Thor gets first and second place! Go Thor!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
It's not like there is any truth in it...... and what is wrong with raising a red flag so people new to this industry move forward with some caution?????

I'm not on that Facebook crap but I was able to get my comments posted on Thor Motorcoach's Facebook Page where they posted advertisements about the Omni / Magnitude.

I posted facts about the front cap issues and the full-wall slide issues. All truth and facts... no embellishment or bitching and calling it a piece of crap.

I didn't tell people not to buy one. I told people to do their homework and research before buying one. Read the Forums and talk to owners for real-world feedback and not sales-speak from Dealers who have minimal knowledge and experience with a specific model.

One of the problems with the industry is there is not enough of real-life and factual feedback for prospective owners to review before they buy and make a substantial investment. And I don't want to hear about that "entry-level" crap either. If you are paying over 6-figures, that is significant money and deserves a solid design and quality workmanship..... it doesn't matter that it might be entry level compared to a $1M Prevost. A $200K Omni / Magnitude deserves better quality and workmanship than Thor delivers.

Yes... you can do a very thorough PDI. I took about 3 hours on mine but it didn't reveal the front cap design and manufacturing defects or the weaknesses of the Schwintek slide mechanism.

Most people don't want to read a bitch-fest but they do want real data so they can make an informed decision. That is significantly lacking in the world of RV's when you compare it to something like the auto industry or even motorsports (motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats).

We would all be better served if owners posted the good, the bad and the ugly (which I have tried to do in my posts) so that prospective buyers or people considering the RV lifestyle can make informed decisions outside the dealer showroom.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:10 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334

Well said. Posting click bait articles or hyperbole (for or against) doesn't do anyone a service IMO.

I'd add that often people complain about personal preferences as if the designers had it out for them. "Why did they put this here, it's soo stupid... bad Thor BAD!". They had to put it somewhere.. and you can't please everyone.

Everyone interested in buying an RV should visit the model specific (or generic) forums and read.. READ! And then read more. Then using their own meat computer, decide if the risk of issues(s) is worth it for them.. and then plan accordingly.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:22 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Too much time wasted here on this dumpster fire...
Old 09-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Too much time wasted here on this dumpster fire...
I don't know Bob..... you could argue that people waste time having to deal with issues that should never happen in the first place when they spend wll over $100K.

I don't see it as a waste of time to constructively provide feedback so others can learn from it.... or at least consider it..... before making a large purchase that they may or may not end up regretting because they didn't have a lot of the facts.

Just my $0.02 FWIW
Old 09-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Well stated Judge!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
..... you could argue that people waste time having to deal with issues that should never happen in the first place when they spend wll over $100K....
It depends on WHAT you spend $100K.

A $100K wrist watch is really something you should expect a high level of quality but on a Class 6 truck + a camper on top of it???
Several 1/2 ton Truck today can cost more than $100K and they have less than 1/2 the material and are build by robots like bottle caps....

We only have motorhomes below $250Ks because this is America and we are specialized in getting things down to a price the middle class can afford ....

but that has a consequence....

I'm not justifying problems caused by labor errors, I'm just pointing out that even if labor errors where eliminated, we would still be dealing with cheap materials that don't last because of price point orientation of the design....

So when the fantasy time comes and RVs get to the quality workmanship of robots, people will still be complaining about the cheap materials...

We could avoid all this trouble and adopt the European solution:
MH is not a thing for middle class so if you can afford, buy Prevost!!!
But hey, we are America!
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
This is sort of like reading campground reviews, what one bitches loudest about the next person never notices & if they do notice they take care of it. You need to take all these so called reviews with a grain of salt & read between the lines.
Similar to listening to rv salespersons! "Yea that's a 4 season coach, you can use it year 'round", "Of course you can tow that 42' toy hauler with your F150, it'll tow anything on the lot".
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:38 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
This is sort of like reading campground reviews, what one bitches loudest about the next person never notices & if they do notice they take care of it. You need to take all these so called reviews with a grain of salt & read between the lines.
Similar to listening to rv salespersons! "Yea that's a 4 season coach, you can use it year 'round", "Of course you can tow that 42' toy hauler with your F150, it'll tow anything on the lot".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If there's one thing I've learned...and this forum started this curve...id to research to death any RV you are interested in. We will downsize...April is already looking at smaller C's as we travel. Something along the size of the Winnebago View...but not necessarily that specific brand or model. Layout has everything to do with it. Being a seasoned RV Veteran...you van bet the farm I will spend hours and hours crawling through everything, studying the design and access to all components...everything I've learned, especially on this forum, will come into play. If you could just get to buyers BEFORE they purchase anything there would be a lot more happy campers on the road and the manufacturers would be scratching their heads as to why there are so many of a given layout/build design still sitting around on dealer's lots.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
People need to research and look at all issues and be ready to address.

Many do not. An RV us not a car/truck in terms of quality/reliability.

We did a lot of lurking/looking at forums to have a solid idea of what we faced. When door lock broke, both of us were preppared to take apart and bungie corded door on trip home. We knew that would happen someday after watching forum.

We are 6 years out now and appreciate the utility of the e450 based vegas. It gets used frequently and upkeep is no real issue.

I would not hesitate to buy another knowing I will need to optomize and adjust for our application.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
People need to remember that there are two parts to a motor home. The Chassis and the Coach. The Chassis usually falls under Ford/Dodge/Mercedes Benz/Freightliner and the Coach is the R V manufacturer. The Chassis is usually tied into the coach with some modifications. The chassis issues usually go to the respective manufacture for repairs and the coach goes back to whatever company made it for repairs. It can be a tricky situation when things go wrong and you need to figure out who it goes to. These things are large boxes on wheels and things loosen up over time. Do your homework on the make/model you want and review everything about it before purchasing. It is a very large purchase.

Paul
Old 09-21-2022, 03:19 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If there's one thing I've learned...and this forum started this curve...id to research to death any RV you are interested in. We will downsize...April is already looking at smaller C's as we travel. Something along the size of the Winnebago View...but not necessarily that specific brand or model. Layout has everything to do with it. Being a seasoned RV Veteran...you van bet the farm I will spend hours and hours crawling through everything, studying the design and access to all components...everything I've learned, especially on this forum, will come into play. If you could just get to buyers BEFORE they purchase anything there would be a lot more happy campers on the road and the manufacturers would be scratching their heads as to why there are so many of a given layout/build design still sitting around on dealer's lots.

Hmmmm...
Perhaps a Tiffin Wayfarer?