Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2021, 12:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #22056
Axis/Vegas Bike Garage

ACE bunkhouse owner here. My wife and I are thinking of downsizing to a 24.1 and modifying the rear pass-through to allow bike storage (like on the Crosstrek, Wayfarer, Hymer). I wrote Thor to ask if they are considering it. Here is the exchange:

Me: "... Vegas/Axis range offered a raised bedroom with bigger garage area much like the European RVs. Since Thor is working with Hymer, will something like this be coming soon?"

Thor: "We at TMC will not be working directly with Hymer. They are a sister company of ours like the others under the Thor Industries umbrella. At this point in time there are no plans for any changes like you noted."

So, this doesn't mean Hymer USA won't release something interesting stateside, but it isn't happening in the Thor line anytime soon.

Long story longer, we are thinking of raising the bed area about a foot, enlarging the passenger side storage opening to around 40-50" tall (refabricating door), and potentially removing the inside drawer area to allow the width of two bikes. (This might also allow additional storage inside under the bed area.)

On one of Matt's RV videos he opens the drawer briefly and you can see a metal duct tube, so I think furnace and possibly plumbing might have to be dealt with, and also wiring for the lights that are currently in the storage bay.

But I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks of this.

We do not want a Ford Transit or Mercedes diesel. We really like the idea of being able to still get into Class A only RV parks while still staying small enough to boondock in small spaces too.

All thoughts welcome.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!
Can't help much with that kind of mod, but you seem to be capable. Have you considered a hitch mounted bike carrier? Or how about one of those little trailers that attach to the coach and have one or two caster type wheels?
You are the first to try this mod. If you do it, post pictures here. An epic project!

Tags
24.1, axis, bike garage, hyper, vegas