Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Spare wheel and tire for 2016 Axis 24.1

I can't believe our new Thor Motor Coach Axis 24.1 did not come with a spare tire!! Has anyone bought a new wheel and tire to use as a spare just in case the Good Sam road service people can't locate a wheel and tire or tire to bring with them ? We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer and feel it is a must have item to take with us. I plan to keep it in the far rear left side large storage compartment since there is no spare tire assembly attached under the frame in the rear where you would expect it to be located. I would like to hear from anyone that has tackled this problem please. I would gladly have swapped one of my TV's for a spare tire and carrier !! The list price on one of the optional extra TV's is over $600. Almost every Axis 24.1 that I looked at was loaded with options but NO SPARE TIRE. Do any of these people ever actually use any of the motorhomes that they sell ?? Anxious to hear some comments.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Nick,

You can get a reconditioned Rim, then have a new spare tire (Michelin LT225/75R16)and get a mount that uses the trailer hitch to mount the spare on. If you are going to tow a vehicle you can get a double receiver hitch with the top receiver being used for the spare and the lower one for the tow.

I have the specific information at home as far as where to order the rim (under $100) and hitch (under $75)...I will pick up the tire tomorrow. Once I get it all put together I will post a picture here.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Nick,
I bought a hitch receiver spare carrier from a local rv repair facility, a new rim and tire, and a cover for the tire.
Mounted everything and looking forward to never needing to use it!
Be safe on your upcoming Alaska trip.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

THOR #3372
Thanks Doc. I had not considered the option of using the trailer hitch to carry the spare tire and wheel. That would work out well. Do I need a specific rim width so it can be mounted on the rear as one of the dual wheels as well as on the front axil if needed ? My tires are as you stated Michelin LTX M&S 225/75 R16's. I read somewhere that the spacing between the dual rear wheels was critical so the side walls could flex properly and not interfere with each other. My first time owning a dually arrangement. You have been very helpful with several of my issues and continue to make my life a little better. I'm still looking for a funnel with a flexible spout so I can add oil to the engine as needed without spilling oil on the engine. Having an issue with two of my window shades that refuse to stay fully open until I pull them down. They slowly creep down to about half way. May need the CW people to fix or replace two of them. Have you experienced that problem ? Living and learning about our new rig. Thanks again for your help. What part of NC do you call home ? Nick
Old 12-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Lots of discussions about that here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...egas-1322.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

THOR #3372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
Nick,
I bought a hitch receiver spare carrier from a local rv repair facility, a new rim and tire, and a cover for the tire.
Mounted everything and looking forward to never needing to use it!
Be safe on your upcoming Alaska trip.
Thanks Marine !! We did 21 years in the AF and retired back in '87. Have you had any issues with your slide out ? I don't have any printed information about our slide out motor(s) and I have been reading about the codes folks are talking about on the forum. Nick in Chattanooga, TN
Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

THOR #2123
No slide problems! Just ensure you hold the button in an additional 5 or more seconds when extending or retracting the slide. Same with the overhead bed.
It synchronizes the motors so they are in alignment.
Have had zero problems! We are leaving home in a month to meet 7 other rigs for a 28 day caravan tour of Baja, Mexico. Looking forward to escaping the rain of the Pacific Northwest!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

THOR #2142
Nick,

On the early 2016 models (E350 Chassis) all 6 rims are the same size so I got the same size for my spare. My tires are Michelin LT225/75R16 (no X in the name). The link to another thread this site has more information as to size of rim and all. I have that info at home and will post it to this thread when I get home later. I will also post a picture once I get the tire mounted and on the RV.

Doc

Old 12-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #9

THOR #2142
Nick,

The spare tire mount I got was from Curt (curtmfg.com) item #31006 for $80.92 includes tax and shipping. It uses the trailer hitch.

The spare tire rim I got was from Wheels and Caps (Customer support: websitesales@wheelsandcaps.com) item #STL03872USTL03872U50 Steel Wheel, Rim 16X6 - 3872 - Reconditioned OEM - Bright White Full Face for $95.00 includes tax and shipping.

I will be picking up the Michelin LT225/75R16 spare tire later in the week. I talked to Michelin and they recommended getting the exact same tire I have on the existing 6 rims...so it will be an LT225 and not the newer LTX225.

No association with the two companies above, just the best prices I could find.

Hope this helps. Will post a picture once I get all the pieces together and mounted on our Vegas.

Doc

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #10

Model: 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3385
Bought a rim today on ebay $40...new tire $125
Old 12-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #11

THOR #3372
Spare Tire carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Nick,

The spare tire mount I got was from Curt (curtmfg.com) item #31006 for $80.92 includes tax and shipping. It uses the trailer hitch.

The spare tire rim I got was from Wheels and Caps (Customer support: websitesales@wheelsandcaps.com) item #STL03872USTL03872U50 Steel Wheel, Rim 16X6 - 3872 - Reconditioned OEM - Bright White Full Face for $95.00 includes tax and shipping.

I will be picking up the Michelin LT225/75R16 spare tire later in the week. I talked to Michelin and they recommended getting the exact same tire I have on the existing 6 rims...so it will be an LT225 and not the newer LTX225.

No association with the two companies above, just the best prices I could find.

Hope this helps. Will post a picture once I get all the pieces together and mounted on our Vegas.

Doc
I ordered one of the CurtMfg #31006 carriers today from Amazon. Tax is higher in TN so I paid $85.82 with free shipping. Still trying to determine the correct rim size for my E-450 chassis. Will have to check the front and back rims to make sure they are the same size and order one just like them if they are the same size. If not-- back to square one !! Thanks again. Nick
Old 12-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

THOR #2142
Nick,

I called a mechanic friend of mine at the local Ford Dealer and he verified that as long as I did not have any kind of fancy chromed rims the 6 rims that come on the E350 chassis are all the same. You might try calling your local Ford Dealer and talk to someone in the shop about the E450's wheel set-up.

Doc

Old 12-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #13

THOR #3372
Quote:
Nick,

I called a mechanic friend of mine at the local Ford Dealer and he verified that as long as I did not have any kind of fancy chromed rims the 6 rims that come on the E350 chassis are all the same. You might try calling your local Ford Dealer and talk to someone in the shop about the E450's wheel set-up.

Doc
I finally found out from the local Ford dealer, who ran the VIN number and confirmed that the 2016 E-450 chassis Axis 24.1 has rims that are the same as the E350. All six wheels are 6" X 16" white steel, 8 bolt holes and a guide pin hole. The Ford Manual says to rotate the front tires from left side to right side and the dual rear tires should be rotated in pairs from left side to right side . Now I can locate a Michelin LT225X75 R16.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #14

THOR #2142
Nick,

Great. I'll post my setup once I get the tire mounted.

Did you notice the recommended miles/time between rotations?

Time to start searching for a place to do a custom cover for the spare. Anyone have a suggestion or have already ordered a cover?

Doc

Old 12-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #15

THOR #2123
I have gotten two tire covers (for previous and for current MH) from Marine Corps Store, Community, Blog | Grunt.com | Sgt Grit - Marine Corps Store (Search results for: 'tire' | Sgt Grit - Marine Corps Store).

I was in the Marine Corps, so some people might want something different������
Old 12-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #16

THOR #2142
Keith,

Different but not better! I'll check out the site.

For me: Army and then Air Force.

However i have many Veteran friends that are Marine as I work with two local Marine Corp Leagues and a "Veterans to Veterans" recognition program for terminally ill veterans.

Doc

Old 12-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #17

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Quote:
Nick,
Did you notice the recommended miles/time between rotations?
Doc
Tire rotation should be about every 5 to 7K miles.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #18

THOR #2123
Custom Spare Tire Covers

You might try this website:

Spare Tire Covers
Old 12-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104 View Post
Snip I'm still looking for a funnel with a flexible spout so I can add oil to the engine as needed without spilling oil on the engine. SnipNick
I have not been able to find a commercial oil fill rig available that was long enough to reach the oil fill spout. There may be one available online or at a truck service center, but it was to easy and inexpensive to make one.
I use a standard funnel and a piece of hose jammed onto the outlet. I used a piece of old garden hose the first oil change, but it was a little to stiff to suit me. I have a piece of clear flex tubing now, maybe 1/2" x 36" lg., available from any hardware store attached to the funnel now. If you are adding the oil yourself without help, you will have to hold the funnel up above the windshield wiper to get the slope needed to get the oil to flow. I routed the hose behind the wipe and applied a little duct tape for security to hold funnel and hose in place as I usually do not have any help available. I take the rig with me in case I have to add oil on a trip. Never needed to so far in 12k + miles.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #20

THOR #2142
Keith,

Thanks.

Being a "child of the 60's" I am going with my favorite TV series, Star Trek. Since we are now traveling more and "boldly going where we have not gone before" the DW has gone to calling our Vegas "Ms. Enterprise".

Please note: I tried to tell her that airships and sailing ships are spoken of in the female gender, that the Ms. is redundant and not needed (she hinted that since she can now drive the RV...the same could be said of me .)

Doc