Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5526
2016 axis 24.1 smoke detector location

I am a new owner and I've located the Atwood combo propane and co monitors. It's at the bottom of the passenger side bed. But looking everywhere in the coach I have not been able to locate the smoke detector. Would someone with a similar unit -2016 axis 24.1- tell me where to find it.

Also every thing I see on the co monitor says it has s 9v battery that needs to be replaced. It that true for the Atwood combo unit? It seem to be wired into the 12 volt system.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On our 2014 Axis there is a smoke alarm on the ceiling near the drop down bunk and crank handle for the antenna.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli22sli View Post
I am a new owner and I've located the Atwood combo propane and co monitors. It's at the bottom of the passenger side bed. But looking everywhere in the coach I have not been able to locate the smoke detector. Would someone with a similar unit -2016 axis 24.1- tell me where to find it.

Also every thing I see on the co monitor says it has s 9v battery that needs to be replaced. It that true for the Atwood combo unit? It seem to be wired into the 12 volt system.

Thanks
Our 2016 Axis ... the smoke detector is on the ceiling near the drop down bunk...and yes...it does work well...set it off using the toaster !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We have a 25.2 here, however, the smoke detector is in the same place, on the ceiling by the drop down bed and the antenna control.

And, from what we see the combo detector (ours is in the bedroom on the reverse side of the bathroom wall) IS powered by house voltage.

The smoke detector is powered by a self contained 9v battery
Old 10-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

THOR #5526
I found it. For my unit -2016 Axis 24.1- the smoke detector is above and behind the drivers seat and is above the slide out. So I can't see it when the slide out in not extended.

Thanks,

Sli22sli
Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
I found it. For my unit -2016 Axis 24.1- the smoke detector is above and behind the drivers seat and is above the slide out. So I can't see it when the slide out in not extended.

Thanks,

Sli22sli
Happy you found it .. that is strange ... ours is to the right of the drivers seat
...presume it depends on who did the install !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Mine in the 2015 Vegas 24.1 is in the same place as Sli22sli's.

Sli22sli: don't know if you emailed me requesting the Owners' Manual I compiled. It augments the info supplied by Thor and contains quite a bit of information Thor has not supplied. Here is a link to where you can download it in MS Word or PDF format:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Important!

Most all RV mfg's build to RVIA specifications. RVIA only requires one smoke detector. If your RV can be divided up into separate sleeping areas by closing doors OR curtains you NEED more than one. Using our Thor Challenger 37KT as an example: three smoke detectors are needed and it only came with two. Factory installed one in rear bedroom and kitchen. The front bedroom can be isolated with sliding doors and originally had none. WE added one to meet minimum residential standards. Questions?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #9

THOR #5526
Bevedfelker, someone sent me the link several days ago . I downloaded it and printed it out I've read through it and would like to thank you for putting it together.

Thanks,

Sli22sli
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Mine in the 2015 Vegas 24.1 is in the same place as Sli22sli's.

Sli22sli: don't know if you emailed me requesting the Owners' Manual I compiled. It augments the info supplied by Thor and contains quite a bit of information Thor has not supplied. Here is a link to where you can download it in MS Word or PDF format:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
Old 10-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #10

THOR #5526
Ctpres, I think you are correct. In my case I think I'll put a second one in the bed room. I plan to buy one from HomeDepot and stick it (or screw it??) to the ceiling.. Any one have suggestions on how to best mount it on ceiling? Screwing it may cause problems.

Sli22sli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Most all RV mfg's build to RVIA specifications. RVIA only requires one smoke detector. If your RV can be divided up into separate sleeping areas by closing doors OR curtains you NEED more than one. Using our Thor Challenger 37KT as an example: three smoke detectors are needed and it only came with two. Factory installed one in rear bedroom and kitchen. The front bedroom can be isolated with sliding doors and originally had none. WE added one to meet minimum residential standards. Questions?
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:

Thanks,

Sli22sli
Our 2016 24.1.... same as above.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:24 AM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Ctpres, I think you are correct. In my case I think I'll put a second one in the bed room. I plan to buy one from HomeDepot and stick it (or screw it??) to the ceiling.. Any one have suggestions on how to best mount it on ceiling? Screwing it may cause problems.

Sli22sli
How about attaching it to the underside of your cabinets in the bedroom?
In doing so, you will not, possibly, cause a roof problem.
I think this is a great idea and plan on mounting it under a cabinet or on the wall.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #13

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I installed a smoke detector under the passenger side bunk access lid. It payed off when due to a loose connection in the ATS melted a wire nut. What a stench. It took awhile to clear the air.
Smoke detectors are inexpensive and if in doubt, put one up.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Not sure how far the "under cabinets location" is from ceiling. If getting close to level of bed - I would not put it that low. Smoke typically builds from the ceiling down and valuable time is lost as smoke finally reaches the detector. Smoke detectors are not that heavy. Two or three 3M strips should be more than enough. Try to put it on ceiling and stay at least 18" from walls. If close to wall the air does not circulate and smoke detector response could be seriously impaired.
If you are having false alarms with any RV smoke detector and have already or plan to disable it there may be a cheap solution. Look inside detector for radiation symbol. If present you can replace the detector with a "photoelectric" type detector and solve most - if not all false alarm problems