Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Add extra batteries or not?

We pick up the Hurricane 34J tomorrow. We've never owned a coach with a non-gas refrigerator, or an inverter.
We do boondock, sometimes up to a week. If I knew how long the inverter would power the fridge. with two batteries vs 4 batteries, before the generator was needed and how long it would take the generator to top off the two batteries,vs 4 batteries. I could make the decision weather to spend the $450 bucks. Please help me with this; would you do it, question.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Have you considered adding solar panels? I plan to add two more batteries to my bank but not until the two original ones need replacement. For folks who prefer boondocking, solar seems to be the preference.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When in doubt: add more electrical storage capacity!

And then: go after adding ways to produce even more power!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
^^^^ What he said
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Our Miramar had space for two additional 6v batteries and I had them installed before we took delivery of the coach. We have a residential fridge and I'm pretty happy we did that. Unfortunately, I cannot speak from the experience of not having the two extra batteries, but I have only run my generator twice since we have owned our bus. Mainly that was because the furnace kicked on in colder weather.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
When in doubt: add more electrical storage capacity!

And then: go after adding ways to produce even more power!
Thanks for the quick response. The dealership wanted my decision by noon, in order to insure installation for delivery tomorrow. I called them at 11:20 to tell them to; Put them in. The coach is pre-wired for solar, so I guess I will look into that down the road a bit.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. The dealership wanted my decision by noon, in order to insure installation for delivery tomorrow. I called them at 11:20 to tell them to; Put them in. The coach is pre-wired for solar, so I guess I will look into that down the road a bit.
Good call. We did the same as part of our deal - add 2 more batteries for a total of 4 AGM batteries. We have also added 400W of solar panels to the roof. We boondock a lot as well. What you need to consider is your energy budget - in addition to the fridge, we also like our toys (Xbox One x2, Apple TV x 2, plus satellite TV, laptops, phones, MiFi, etc.) so our energy budget is fairly high. Depending on what we are doing, we may be using a lot of energy on any given day so we often have to use the generator to top off the batteries or when we run AC or use the microwave. With our 4 12V AGM batteries, we have about 340 AmpHours of energy available but don't want to go below 50 percent capacity, so we have an effective budget of 170 AH. Depending on weather and other factors (traveling, the alternator kicks in to charge) we may or may not need to run the generator before bedtime. But those batteries will definitely last all night and then some.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You made the right choice; I think that he put you under a tight timeline in order to try and force a sale...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
We bought our 2017 Challenger in June 2017. Learned it was sitting on the dealer lot nearly a year. So I replaced both factory, generic 6-v batteries with four new Crown GC-235 6-v batteries, and have been very happy with that decision.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:14 AM   #10

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
We have the Quantum WS31 with resi-fridge. It had two 12v batteries when we got it (slightly) used. But, they were on their last legs, so had two 6v GC2 Interstate batteries installed. The first time out boon docking we were awakened by the inverter or low battery (whatever) alarm at 2:00 am. Two days of that and I was ready to ad two more batteries to the system. We just went out for two weeks with a couple days boon docking. The four batteries held up quite nicely. They made it through the night great, then I ran the genny purposely for an hour while making breakfast. Then, again that evening for an hour, did that both days and worked out fine.
So, good call on getting 4 batteries installed!
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I would install as many batteries as you have room for. If you have a residential refrigerator, it will be difficult to have too many batteries to support it.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I would install as many batteries as you have room for. If you have a residential refrigerator, it will be difficult to have too many batteries to support it.
I'll second that. Except for the weight penalty, I believe you can't have too much house battery. Kind of like, you can't be too good looking, or rich. [emoji3]
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote