Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Axxera removal

I have read all the posts at http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...dio-13192.html and they were helpful. However, nobody has mentioned the faceplate -- how do you get that out without damaging it?

The Axxera AV614BH is completely dead and I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it before I have to toss it out in the field.

Any advice is very welcome. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2019, 01:52 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Without a picture I doubt many of us know what yours looks like or where it's located, but:

Mine doesn't have a faceplate, it has a surround.
It just pops out and will likely be of no use on your new install.
To remove the radio from the mount, if you don't have the tool, use a butter knife. Stick it in the side, along the top edge, and slide it down. It'll pop the clip.
Then do the other side..
Mines halfway out right now awaiting professional replacement on Monday.

You can see the little tabs on the surround bezel. Just a light pressure disengages.
You can see the half round clip on the frame that clips into the hald round indent on the radio. Just slide a butter knife in and it unlatches. Slide the radio out with the butter knives still in place.

Three minutes to find butter knives, 20 seconds to remove the radio.

Look up:
Eonon 10.1 inch android 9
On amazon

If yours is completely dead and you're low on funds, my good 2018 radio will be probably available for free. Pick up at the Grand Canyon or at Pechenga for the west coast meet-up.(Pechenga WI require a trade... Ice cream, a dog turd shaped like George Washington... Any trade.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0927191855.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	20521   Click image for larger version

Name:	0927191854d.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	20522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0927191854c.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	20523   Click image for larger version

Name:	0927191854b.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	20524  

Old 09-28-2019, 02:05 AM   #3

THOR #3559
Thank you for your prompt reply. I do not plan to replace the Axxera unless absolutely necessary so do not want to damage the bezel/faceplate. I will try again this weekend. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #4

THOR #3559
Replacing Axxerra AV614B

I would like suggestions for replacing the Axxerra AB614B - something that fits in a 2015 Ford E-450 chassis my Freedom Elite 28H is on.

Thanks -- I need help!
Old 02-27-2020, 03:52 AM   #5

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Just curious, did you stick a pin in the reset button on the front?
Mine was completely dead with no power or even the blue light on power button. I found the little rest indent with a flashlight and used an ink pen to push it. Waalaa, back to normal. Just needed to re enter presets.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:04 AM   #6

THOR #3559
Thanks. Yes, I tried the reset but I will try it again. I think it may be a loose connection at the back of the unit. When it "went out" it was on, then had blue horizontal lines then faded to black and stayed there. It probably needs to go.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On our Challenger we went through 3 Axxerra 614 radios in the first 13 months of ownership with all of them being replaced under warranty. Our issue was they kept going dead (power down) while driving down the road. Reach over hit the power button and they would come back on. The last one was still working when we traded in the coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #6333
Buy a set of plastic pry trim tools. Cost a couple of bucks. Extremely useful when working in the cab area. My Axxera came with several loose connections that became detached over time. Pulled the trim. Couple screws removed the unit (actually was missing 3 mounting screws that caused the thing to shake and rattle). Traced and pushed all the connections together snugly. Found some extra screws for the remount, snapped trim back on. Works like a charm ever since. I think most problems described result from a very poor original install. Total time 20-30 minutes. Difficulty.... fairly easy.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:27 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
If you are still looking for a stereo I HIGHLY recommend Crutchfield. You input your vehicle and their website tells you all the stereos that will fit. Along with adapters and wiring needed.They have the most awesome tech and sales support. Online support as well. I just replaced my junk axxera a week ago.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:38 AM   #10

THOR #3559
Axxerra replacement

We ordered the Kenwood DDX6706S today and have scheduled a professional installation for next week. Not sure what we will do withe the Axxera -- does anyone need a boat anchor?
Old 04-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #11389
I installed a Kenwood DDX8906S and new door speakers yesterday in our 2017 Outlaw class C. It took a few hours but with the Crutchfield “ready harness” option, it was actually fun. For those planning to DIY I highly recommend this option. Note, it was only necessary to partially remove the dash bezel that extends around the radio as well as the instrument cluster. I needed to disconnect the two 12V “cigarette lighter” plugs but not the climate control. The bezel flexes enough to work the radio into the slot.

The Kenwood is WORLDS better. Works with Apple Carplay, screen tilts to multiple settings so glare is no longer a problem. Rear camera looks so much better and now has customizable guidelines. We set the mid level line for the distance we need to drop the toyhauler ramp.

Now to replace the crummy inside TV with a “smart” and upgrade the remaining speakers. I’ll soon have this thing the way I want it.

Oh, and the Axxera won’t make a good anchor. It weighs next to nothing. Enjoy your new head unit.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #12

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
I just replaced all the TVs with smart Units. Total improvement...so happy I did. I went with Samsungs for the bedroom and outside and Vizio for the main living area.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #13

State: Florida
THOR #6333
We have Samsung smart TV's and use our Samsung phones to cast everything from YouTube to TV subscriptions to the TV. Works great even when no over the air channels.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #14

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncii View Post
We have Samsung smart TV's and use our Samsung phones to cast everything from YouTube to TV subscriptions to the TV. Works great even when no over the air channels.
Exactly...as long as I have youtube...lol. We did add a portable Satellite system so we are looking forward to having that available as well...