Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Backing Up Toad/Trailer

Having fivers before backing was never an issue. Never requested pull thru sites or needed one. When switching to a coach I assumed my backing up days were over.

Pulled into a Flying J somewhere in Alabama yesterday. I missed the lane that would have guided me into the RV pumps. I could have gone through the diesel truck area, back out onto the congested road, through a stop light, and made the entrance again, but I decided to give my backing skills an attempt with my short motorcycle trailer attached.

What I found was that if I went slow and used only my rear view camera I could back straight up for as far as I needed, in this case about 50 yards. Next time we dry camp in a roomy Walmart lot I am going to play around with backing around a corner to see if that is even remotely possible.

This may be regular stuff to you more experienced MH folks out there, I just assumed that since I couldn't see my trailer in my mirrors I wouldn't be able to back up straight for any distance.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
It can be a challenge but as u see it can be done. Issues do get more complicated as u get to turning more and front end swing of MH.
I have backed many times w a trailer but the shorter the trailer the faster it will react. Short trailer and long MH is trying to say the least in tight CG. All combinations a little different. My wife usually gets out back anyway, not to help backing, but sometimes people will pull into ur blindside. I use her for safety.
On another note, flying j are usually a lot better than pilots. It appears pilot is somewhat anti class A friendly. Very tight turns and no place to park and go inside. Flying j much more RV friendly. Thx Dennis.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
When we had our 25 foot TT I had gotten pretty decent backing in spaces, actually our driveway was fairly tight. Now with the 2015 ACE 30.1 I also have a short trailer for my Softtail Springer. I have only tried backing up with the trailer attached to my F-150 and it is horrible. So far I have not tried to back up with the trailer behind the MH, get to campsite pull bike off, unhook then hand push trailer to empty space. Jim.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3789
[QUOTE=Joe-FL;66591]

What I found was that if I went slow and used only my rear view camera I could back straight up for as far as I needed, in this case about 50 yards. Next time we dry camp in a roomy Walmart lot I am going to play around with backing around a corner to see if that is even remotely possible.

QUOTE]

I really don't think you would back up a toad more than 5 feet let alone 50 yards.There's more pivot points with that style tow bars plus the steering wheel would do its own thing
Old 05-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
QUOTE] I really don't think you would back up a toad more than 5 feet let alone 50 yards.There's more pivot points with that style tow bars plus the steering wheel would do its own thing[/QUOTE]

I assumed that Joe-FL was talking about backing up his motorcycle trailer, and not trying to back up a car with a tow bar.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

THOR #6466
It takes a fair bit of practice. I back the trailer for the karts (6x10 enclosed) into a driveway with the Vegas. It helps to have someone outside guiding you in. The perspective on the rear-view camera makes you think you're about to hit something when you have a decent amount of space left.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
IME, backing up a 4 down toad is WAY different deal than backing up a trailer. You can get away with a few feet but 50' - I am probably unhooking my toad. I have lots of experience with Heavy Equipment Transport (HETs) from my US Army truck driving days. But that extra set of steering wheels spells real issues for the toad. Have we gone around a couple of times? Yep. Do I look at fuel sites on Google Maps before starting my current leg? Yep.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I have never attempted backing a vehicle attached with tow type bar, this was done with my bike trailer, which is just under 14' from the ball to rear. I can see where having any additional pivot points would make it nearly impossible.

Budman, you are correct about Flying J. I believe Pilot and Flying J are owned by the same parent company but sometimes it is hard to tell. I have used the Pilot app on my phone for years to locate different stations. In the past I was looking for Pilots or Flying J's with the greatest number of diesel pumps. Now of course I am looking for ones with RV islands so I can get gasoline, get a receipt at the pump, have a 6' windshield cleaning brush available, plus still receive fuel discounts.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL
have a 6' windshield cleaning brush available
I carry one of those with us so we don't have to look for one.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote