Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37MD outlaw
State: Missouri
THOR #5305
Bad Boys Ambush

I'm having trouble finding a UTV that will haul my prospecting equipment to and from across the desert and in the woods, but will also convert to haul my son, my wife and I plus our 3 huskies for when we want to go play. Then for the topper because the Ranger will do all that, but the Ranger won't fit in my 10'3" long Outlaws garage. The ambush is 10'7" I believe and if I pull the tilt bed off it's like 9' 10" or somewhere close to that. plus it is a gas/electric hybrid that I can add a solar panel to and help keep the on board battery happy. I think it's manufactured in Georgia with alot of the parts coming from local sources as I understand it. So, with all those pro's being said I'm looking for a list of con's hopefully from someone who has owned one. The price is right in my range so that's okay, but I'm wondering about reliability and ease of getting parts etc...Anybody have a clue or opinion heres your chance before I pull the trigger. Heres a pdf brochure for the one I'm looking at.
con-0316_ambushis_82454-g7_rev042016_0.pdf

Old 10-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I see a lot of Outlaws on the road, that has to say something. You can read a lot of complaints about Thor, but you can read just as many if not more about other brands too. I am on my second Thor coach and like many others I am VERY happy with my coach. Best advice I can give is find a good dealer who will take care of you AFTER the sale. Thor can only be as good as the selling dealer!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LOL I don't think SuperD got the gist of your question.

Do you also pull a car with the RV while you have the UTV inside? If not perhaps a trailer? (Yeah I know that defeats the purpose of having the toy hauler to begin with.) With a trailer for the UTV you could keep a lot more equipment inside the RV (assuming that the UTV + trailer doesn't put too much additional weight on the RV).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #4

THOR #5196
I think I got it. He wants to buy an Outlaw and wants to know if it's good or a POS. Getting old but not senile, YET. I HOPE!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think he already has the Outlaw and is looking for a utility vehicle that will fit in the Outlaw.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #6

THOR #5196
Nope Jamie, you were right, missed it!!! He wants to know about the Ambush not the Outlaw. Maybe the cheese is sliding off my cracker!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:38 AM   #7

THOR #5196
Read the pdf on the Ambush, I've never heard of them but with the hybrid capabilities it sounds pretty cool!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
Bad Boys Ambush

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman7458 View Post
I'm having trouble finding a UTV that will haul my prospecting equipment to and from across the desert and in the woods, but will also convert to haul my son, my wife and I plus our 3 huskies for when we want to go play. Then for the topper because the Ranger will do all that, but the Ranger won't fit in my 10'3" long Outlaws garage. The ambush is 10'7" I believe and if I pull the tilt bed off it's like 9' 10" or somewhere close to that. plus it is a gas/electric hybrid that I can add a solar panel to and help keep the on board battery happy. I think it's manufactured in Georgia with alot of the parts coming from local sources as I understand it. So, with all those pro's being said I'm looking for a list of con's hopefully from someone who has owned one. The price is right in my range so that's okay, but I'm wondering about reliability and ease of getting parts etc...Anybody have a clue or opinion heres your chance before I pull the trigger. Heres a pdf brochure for the one I'm looking at.
Attachment 3202

I bought an ambush in fall of 2014 and they are a really neat machine.. If you are planning on using it for serious off road use, do not buy one. We used ours mainly on dirt roads and around the house. The couple times I took it hunting, and went off of the dirt road into the woods, it got stuck. My opinion, it is too heavy and the axles are too far apart. We ended up selling a year later as I couldn't use it for hunting. I ended up buying a Honda 700 4 seater. I HIGHLY recommend you go test drive a bunch of side by sides before you decide on the Ambush. It is a great ride if you are planning on using it as a golf cart. If you are more using for a utility vehicle or off road vehicle I would stay away. I would even look at the Honda 1000. I think it might fit in there too. The biggest issues I had with it were off road capability and speed. EZGo set the up to not go much faster than 20mph.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away about either...

Just before selling the Ambush..
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	989.7 KB
ID:	3209

The new Honda 700.. I really didn't want blue but it was $1750 cheaper than the camo one and for some reason Honda quit making the green.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	963.4 KB
ID:	3210
Old 10-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #9

THOR #5305
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
I bought an ambush in fall of 2014 and they are a really neat machine.. If you are planning on using it for serious off road use, do not buy one. We used ours mainly on dirt roads and around the house. The couple times I took it hunting, and went off of the dirt road into the woods, it got stuck. My opinion, it is too heavy and the axles are too far apart. We ended up selling a year later as I couldn't use it for hunting. I ended up buying a Honda 700 4 seater. I HIGHLY recommend you go test drive a bunch of side by sides before you decide on the Ambush. It is a great ride if you are planning on using it as a golf cart. If you are more using for a utility vehicle or off road vehicle I would stay away. I would even look at the Honda 1000. I think it might fit in there too. The biggest issues I had with it were off road capability and speed. EZGo set the up to not go much faster than 20mph.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away about either...

Just before selling the Ambush..
Attachment 3209

The new Honda 700.. I really didn't want blue but it was $1750 cheaper than the camo one and for some reason Honda quit making the green.
Attachment 3210
So did the Honda fit in your rig? If so what was the depth of the garage? I'm pretty sure there will be at least dirt roads or creeks. do they make a larger tire for the ambush? although the 2017 sez it has 11" and change clearance so maybe they addressed that problem? Thanks for helping.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #10

THOR #5305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL I don't think SuperD got the gist of your question.

Do you also pull a car with the RV while you have the UTV inside? If not perhaps a trailer? (Yeah I know that defeats the purpose of having the toy hauler to begin with.) With a trailer for the UTV you could keep a lot more equipment inside the RV (assuming that the UTV + trailer doesn't put too much additional weight on the RV).
Yup, unfortunately I already pull a Captiva. So I'm stuck putting whatever I get in the garage. Thanks for answer tho, good try.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

THOR #5536
Quote:
So did the Honda fit in your rig? If so what was the depth of the garage? Thanks for posting.

I had a 10ft garage in our old Nitro XLR. I looked at Outlaws when we bought the Challenger and I think they have the same garage size. Had to take leather flip bed out but could keep the top flat bunk. I think the Honda 700 is like 9'4" long and the 1000 is about 9'7" or more. You'd have to double check, especially if they have changed model years. The Honda was a little taller than the Ambush. I never put the Ambush in because the 2014/15 was 10'9" if remember correctly. The year I had you couldn't disassemble the rear foot rest because it was the base tube steel that held up the rear bed/seat.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #12

THOR #5305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Read the pdf on the Ambush, I've never heard of them but with the hybrid capabilities it sounds pretty cool!
yeah me too. I really like the dual fuel capability, and I think the way they achieve 4 wheel drive is clever also. So I have to give points on creativity.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #13

THOR #5536
Quote:
Yup, unfortunately I already pull a Captiva. So I'm stuck putting whatever I get in the garage. Thanks for answer tho, good try.

They do make dollys that can hold a side by side near the tongue and pull a car.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #14

THOR #5305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I see a lot of Outlaws on the road, that has to say something. You can read a lot of complaints about Thor, but you can read just as many if not more about other brands too. I am on my second Thor coach and like many others I am VERY happy with my coach. Best advice I can give is find a good dealer who will take care of you AFTER the sale. Thor can only be as good as the selling dealer!
I've already bought the 37MD but thanks for the reply. We really love it , although aside from a couple little trips (300 miles) for shakedown, it's spent most of the past couple months since we bought it in the driveway.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #15

THOR #5305
Quote:
They do make dollys that can hold a side by side near the tongue and pull a car.
Really? I'll give a look, lol I'm gonna look like a one man gypsy caravan. if this works I'll have to stick with free parks and BLM land cuz I'll scare the b'jeebers outta normal folx.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #16

THOR #5305
Quote:
I had a 10ft garage in our old Nitro XLR. I looked at Outlaws when we bought the Challenger and I think they have the same garage size. Had to take leather flip bed out but could keep the top flat bunk. I think the Honda 700 is like 9'4" long and the 1000 is about 9'7" or more. You'd have to double check, especially if they have changed model years. The Honda was a little taller than the Ambush. I never put the Ambush in because the 2014/15 was 10'9" if remember correctly. The year I had you couldn't disassemble the rear foot rest because it was the base tube steel that held up the rear bed/seat.
Ahha, I will definitely take my tape measurer when I go look then. I'll check the Honda again also, I thought I had ruled them out.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #17

THOR #5536
Quote:
Ahha, I will definitely take my tape measurer when I go look then. I'll check the Honda again also, I thought I had ruled them out.

Let us know what you decide...
Old 10-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #18

THOR #5305
Bad Boy is out Kawasaki is in

Found a 2015 Kawasaki Teryx4 LE. It's 10' 4" long and made in America so say no more. now I'm working a trade for my Harley. Wish me luck
Old 10-21-2016, 01:53 AM   #19

THOR #5536
Quote:
Found a 2015 Kawasaki Teryx4 LE. It's 10' 4" long and made in America so say no more. now I'm working a trade for my Harley. Wish me luck

You said in your original post your hauler was 10'3". The Kawasaki is 10'4"????
Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #20

THOR #5305
Quote:
You said in your original post your hauler was 10'3". The Kawasaki is 10'4"????
lol, yup. I figure I can make up an inch somewhere. might have to break out the grinder.