Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12206
Basic Solar install advice

We have a 2015 Freedom Elite 23H and "live"(part-time) in Northern Fl by the GA border when we're not on the road. We have asked around w/o any luck for assistance installing a basic solar array of three(3) rooftop 175 watt each pannels. I have narrowed down the equiptment search with the help of several RV blog post folks who've been most helpful but never done an install on this actual Class C.

I'm trying to find someone who's had this done with a 23H or knows of any company within 100 miles of Jacksonville Fl that has done Class C install. The wiring on these rigs has been Spaghetti Central and between Camping world charging almost $300.00 to install two 6 volt batteries and reinstalling the inverter wiring incorrectly and two other RV "repair" shops installing tank sensors incorrectly, we're at a loss.

Any direction(s) much appreciated.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
sorry, I don't know of any contractors to do the work...but I installed a single 100W panel on mine a few months ago. I'm fairly handy but I thought it was a very easy job overall. I did most of it in small bites visiting the storage lot on my lunch hour.
I thought it through probably too much...but there are still a few things I'd do over again, but I am very happy with it so far.
I'd be happy to answer questions and such.
If you're not comfortable with parts of the I'll bet you could get help in part...like a handyman to get it on the roof, or an electrician to help make the connections
Actually, you might find a mobile RV tech or even a general handyman that could do the whole job.
Anyway, message me if you need my help and good luck on your project
Old 11-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
With your floorplan you have a couple of challenges...

1) normally the 8 or 10 gauge stranded wire runs from the roof, down thru the refrigerator vent. But with your floorplan, the fridge is on the driver's side. So you'll need to run your wire a longer length under the rig towards the batteries (which i assume is under the entry steps)

2) a good place to mount your controller is in the entry wall area, on the wall that supports your cooktop

3) So...run the wires from roof, thru fridge vent on driver's side, to the floor, to the underside, across the chassis to the passenger side, back up thru the floor, to the controller mounted on the entry step wall, to the house battery bank (again...which i assume is under the entry steps). Use a good quality wire loom where the wires are exposed

4) Solid panels vs Flexible panels. There has been much discussion on this Forum between the two options

5) Mounting the solid panels on the roof is your call. I used drill-less mounts (found on Amazon) and adhered with SikaFlex adhesive. Others on this Forum have drilled thru the roof and used a good silicone to cover the holes for the brackets

OR

6) Several on this Forum have used Flexible panels and fastened with Etherbond tape to the roof. EZ and quick

If you can do the project your self, great! If not, at least you have a blueprint on the task at hand.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Thanks
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you picked out your panels yet?
Renogy and Zamp both offer complete kits, and are probably very good sources of information as well...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:44 AM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Have you picked out your panels yet?
Renogy and Zamp both offer complete kits, and are probably very good sources of information as well...
Renogy seems to be the best solar panel value.
That’s what I have, sourced thru Amazon.

You’ll also need solar panel connectors and fuses, all on Amazon.

A 30 or 40amp PWM controller can be as inexpensive as $15-30
MPPT controllers are more expensive, but have exotic features & benefits

And the 8 or 10 gauge wire can be sourced at your local Hone Depot or Lowe’s.

The rest is sweat labor.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
go power has entire kits in various sizes (wattage) that can be purchased. They include panels, wires, controllers, brackets; basically everything needed but the labor.

https://gpelectric.com/application/rv-solar-kits/

The kits are sold on Amazon or through dealers.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
175 watt panel sounds big, I bought the Renogy kit from Amazon and did 4 100 watt panels with the glue down mounts, Renogy has package deals and you can get a better deal on Amazon then buying direct from Renogy, they also have real good customer support and I would call them first and they will ask you to list all of your electrical needs and list the watts and so on, all in what you are trying to run using the batteries and inverter, I brought the wires down the back of the coach next to the ladder and bought a special mount to run the wires through the back wall into the bedroom area where I mounted the controller, I can supply you with pictures if you want to message me, for what ever reason posting pictures on this site does not work..get the full picture of the solar install before you go out and just start buying componets, my system has worked trouble free and has put my generator in retirement
Old 11-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They also have packages wither the Z- brackets, Ang your choice of controller.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #10

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
I've researched putting flexible panels on our roof, Renogy seemed like the best choice. Until I started reading reviews.

Quite a few complained of customer service, even more claimed the panels quit/deteriorated, didn't produce advertised wattage (even under ideal situations) & other.

I've come to trust Amazon reviews less & less. Too much cheating, manipulation, fraud & lumping reviews of different products under the sellers name, which really skews the results (usually in the positive).

I trust users opinions on this forum. What's your experience with your Renogy flex panels?

Thanx
Old 12-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #11

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
My panels have been on for almost 3 years but they are not the flexible panels so we are not talking apples to apples, all panels have a life span and I am sure that will vary on the weather extremes and just time, as far as Renogys customer service I can only give them 5 stars, I tried to get a color code from Thor one time and the guy on Thors end was and Idoit and a jerk and after I asked to speak to his supervisor he said I am not going to transfer the call and hung up on me. a lot of do it yourselfers create their own problems and try to blame the manufacture, this happens with anything you buy and decide to install it yourself, I worked as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic all my life, we had to work on electrical, electronics, hydraulics, know how to weld and the list goes on and on so I was comfortable in doing my own install, as with anything it pays to read the instructions and talk to some one who has already done the install, I also read all the reviews and take them with a grain of salt, you will always have people complaing an some going over board with how great a product is, I also look at the date the review was made, all the Renogy products I bought ( panels, mounts,wiring, connectors, controller, inverter an all the accessories )were of high quality, I had several questions on the Inverter/Charger as there are several switches and settings for the type of batteries being used, their customer service went over everything with me and answered all my questions, I bought everything through Amazon and when you buy a system you get a good deal on the price, they even offer the tools to crimp and assemble the connectors and were only a few dollars, it pays to buy and use. them as they were made just for the connectors they use, most business today want $100.00 an hour for labor and it does not take long to get expensive, as a do it yourself I was able to take my time to do it right and am very pleased with the results, I have had several people in campgrounds spot my solar panels and come over and want to look and ask about the quality and performance, they go up the ladder and look at the install and want to see all the rest of the components, I spent a week at a BLM campground last week near Yuma and never once ran my generator, one guy asked what the system cost me and said he can buy a lot of gas for his generator for what I paid to buy the system, I like to sit outside and enjoy the peace and quite, those solar panels do no make a sound, it was money well spent
Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I've 2 x 100w solar panels charging 2 x 110ah batteries with a 2000w inverter, plenty for the tv's, charging phones, laptops etc . We find that fine here in Ireland (not very sunny) when we're at festivals for 3 or 4 days or more and, when 'the boss' needs more power, for a hair dryer or such, I run the the engine. There's always the genny, of course, but people get a bit pissed at the noise and i enjoy the peace. It's the second RV I've had solar fitted and we wouldn't be without it.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #13

THOR #12206
My research has found flex panels are easier to install but do not last as long and are subject to UV more than fixed panels. Best value I have found(so far) are Renogy 100 watt slim line panels @ $113.00 each. Seems 400 watts is the standard "entry" level but you need to detail exactly in watts what it is you want to run and for how long each day and back in from there.

We had the standard 950 watt converter in our Thor 23H. POS. I replaced with a AIMS 1500 watt converter/charger/pure sine wave inverter. What a difference!

Craigs list is also a shot but you'd have to test on site whatever you'd buy.

Best of luck with the project!
Old 12-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #14

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
This might help some.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...?ie=UTF8&psc=1