Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1912 View Post
My question is...will one of the lithiums work from technical standpoint?
FWIW ... I did go look at the Battleborn 100 battery page and based on their data you should be perfectly ok to drop that in. Do note that the BMS is output limited to 100A so if you intend to run an inverter driving a coffee maker or microwave you'll need 2 in parallel. The really good news is they specifically claim parallel configurations are how to achieve output doubling of their battery.

My only question/reservation is how well/efficiently that BMS handles receiving a constant float voltage 24x7? I have this question because my RV is plugged in during storage. A good BMS will peak out the charge and only supply charge to cells again once below say 95% or so. This reduces the wear/degradation caused by continuous on/off peaking some cheaper BMS's employ.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #22

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Only way I know for sure to run a fridge for 8 days unplugged is with solar.
I'm trying to build my solar panel stash and I've got a suitcase 100 watt. By Renergy. How can I get it to run the refrigerator while boondocking? It came with wires that snap into the generator but I don't want to screw it up. I've watched several YouTube videos but they all stopped at hooking up the refrigerator. Can you help in letting me know what I need once I get the battery in the coach? Can I parallel that to my house battery without blowing anything? It's a lawn mower battery that stays fully charged on my panels. The most it's lasted is 2 hours in running the house lights before recharging. I would just like that help it run the refrigerator while boondocking. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #23

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Doubt you'd ever be able to run the refrigerator with a 100 watt panel. My residential frig draws 108 watts usually and doubt you'd get that much from a 100 watt panel?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #24
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
I'm trying to build my solar panel stash and I've got a suitcase 100 watt. By Renergy. How can I get it to run the refrigerator while boondocking? It came with wires that snap into the generator but I don't want to screw it up. I've watched several YouTube videos but they all stopped at hooking up the refrigerator. Can you help in letting me know what I need once I get the battery in the coach? Can I parallel that to my house battery without blowing anything? It's a lawn mower battery that stays fully charged on my panels. The most it's lasted is 2 hours in running the house lights before recharging. I would just like that help it run the refrigerator while boondocking. Thanks for any help.
From other posts it looks like you have a Chateau 22B - which appears to have an RV fridge (versus residential..)
It should use very little battery power (for the control board) - and cool with propane while boondocking...

I would not recommend hooking up a lawn mower battery in parallel with RV battery - Not really going to help on the discharge side - and could be easily damaged on charge side...

Your solar panel(s) should be able to tie into the existing RV batteries... Not sure 100W will buy you much - but it can be done... and additional panels added later.
I can typically boondock a long weekend easily running fridge (on propane), led lights, tv, blu ray player with 2 12v coach batteries.

Adding additional batteries is always an option as well (assuming room for them to fit)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #25

THOR #7430
Thanks. There is room under the step for an additional battery. Battery I have is 12 volt I just don't know whether to run it in series or parallel period that part confuses me and I don't want to fry anything.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #26

THOR #7430
My solar inverter has two slots and I do use that to run small fans and smaller items.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #27

THOR #7430
I will run the fridge on propane. Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #28
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
Thanks. There is room under the step for an additional battery. Battery I have is 12 volt I just don't know whether to run it in series or parallel period that part confuses me and I don't want to fry anything.
All the DC lights/appliances in RV run on 12v today...
Multiple 12v batteries are connected in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) - which maintains 12v but provides the combined capacity of the 2 batteries.

Two 6v batteries are connected in series (positive to negative between batteries - the remaining )one on each battery) positive and negative to the coach) - which adds the voltage instead.

And then the more confusing - Groups of 2 6v batteries can then be connected in parallel to increase capacity...

Connecting two 12v batteries in series would provide 24v to the coach - and let the magic smoke out of various electronic components.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #29

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I don't know any 12v battery that is the standard dimensions and weight that has the same or more amp hours as 2 6vs in series. Battery compartment size and total weight are limitations that need to be considered.
Trojan battery has several size 31 footprint 12v deep cycle batteries. 100, 150, even 215 20hr aH baterries. I had 3 of the 215's for 5 years. Worked great sold them with the RV.

If you have 6v you will need pairs to meet your needs. With 12v you can have uneven numbers. So it depends upon the room you have and the aH's you need. 12v batteries are very common now in forklifts, scissors lifts and floor machines.