Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #4775
Unhappy Thor Gray and Black water valve

Hello all, I just purchased a Thor Vegas 24.1 RUV and when I last camped, a man nearby told me my valve for dumping should not be aimed upward. Is this normal for this model RV? The water did dump, but I felt like there was still some left in the valve.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Dumping

The sewer outlet can be rotated to the down position so it is pointing through the hole in the compartment. After dumping, I swivel it back up. (it was pretty stiff the first couple of times I rotated it)

FYI - check under the compartment hole on the bottom of the RUV. I found some screws sticking through that I filed off to prevent catching my fingers and knuckles while hooking up the sewer hose.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Model: Vegas
THOR #4775
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd View Post
The sewer outlet can be rotated to the down position so it is pointing through the hole in the compartment. After dumping, I swivel it back up. (it was pretty stiff the first couple of times I rotated it)

FYI - check under the compartment hole on the bottom of the RUV. I found some screws sticking through that I filed off to prevent catching my fingers and knuckles while hooking up the sewer hose.
Perfect Thank you!!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
wow---lucky you did not get goo on you!???!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
this is a pretty common - Thor, and all others, should ask the manufacturer of the outlet to apply a simple "swivel up/down here" sticker - problem solved.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
It baffles me why dealers in their PDI do not show new owners (especially newbies to RVing) how the sewer Y-fitting rotates down, how the access plate screws off, and how the sewer hose is connected by routing it UNDER the RV not through the sewer access door.

I have shown how this works to 4 new Vegas/Axis owners whose dealers left them clueless.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #4816
Macerator in Vegas 24.1

I'm a new owner of a 2015 Vegas 24.1. Although I have several questions, only one is critical right now. Will a macerator unit fit into the sewer compartment of the 24.1? I purchased the Viper sewer hoses, but find them too difficult to use. Yes, I know the sewer tank outlet tilts up and down, but the outlet is not over the hole cut in the bottom of the compartment. In fact, they are so misaligned that it is nearly impossible to hook up a hose; consequently, I am considering the macerator. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Not showing swivel during PDI

We had an excellent PDI. However, we had to show the tech how to swivel the connection. After he said it was a bear to route the hose. If not for all of you on this forum, I would never have known this!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Mo,

If you really wanted to baffle the salesman, you could have asked him to show you how to use the radio for music and rear view camera at the same time...or ask about the TV's and cable vs antenna setups. You will have to spend time reading the threads in this forum, the manuals for the radio and TV's (if you have them) and a few cold beers to get thru these learning curves.

Be patient, good luck and happy camping.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #10

THOR #3770
Nicely designed sewer hookup, Thor!

Wouldn't it be nice if the door to the Thor Vegas sewer valves had hinges on the side, not the bottom? Fun reaching around the door to hook up the sewer isn't it.

I had to buy a small bucket to put under the spout, when rotating it downward. Sporadic leak, very small amount. Found two screws in the sewer hoses, one 2 inch stainless and a 3/4 inch carbon steel. So the black/gray tank is a garbage dump for the workers while building them. I recommend a good flush before using them the first time.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Ours was already pointed down, we just leave it that way.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #12

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly4185 View Post
Hello all, I just purchased a Thor Vegas 24.1 RUV and when I last camped, a man nearby told me my valve for dumping should not be aimed upward. Is this normal for this model RV? The water did dump, but I felt like there was still some left in the valve.
Are you talking about the valve or the drain? You pull/push the valve and hook the hose on the drain.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Leslie View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if the door to the Thor Vegas sewer valves had hinges on the side, not the bottom? Fun reaching around the door to hook up the sewer isn't it.

I had to buy a small bucket to put under the spout, when rotating it downward. Sporadic leak, very small amount. Found two screws in the sewer hoses, one 2 inch stainless and a 3/4 inch carbon steel. So the black/gray tank is a garbage dump for the workers while building them. I recommend a good flush before using them the first time.
Any way to remove the door and frame and rotate it 180 degrees so it opens up rather than down? If so you could add a gas strut to hold it in the open position when needed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:39 AM   #14

THOR #3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Any way to remove the door and frame and rotate it 180 degrees so it opens up rather than down? If so you could add a gas strut to hold it in the open position when needed.
Got a couple of ideas. Thanks
Old 08-03-2016, 02:54 AM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2015 Vegas 24.1. Although I have several questions, only one is critical right now. Will a macerator unit fit into the sewer compartment of the 24.1? I purchased the Viper sewer hoses, but find them too difficult to use. Yes, I know the sewer tank outlet tilts up and down, but the outlet is not over the hole cut in the bottom of the compartment. In fact, they are so misaligned that it is nearly impossible to hook up a hose; consequently, I am considering the macerator. Thanks.
Hi, Carol, if you are still having trouble hooking up the hose to your sewer connection … perhaps try hooking up a clear elbow, with or without a short clear extension, first then hook up the hose to that. May be easier than wrestling with the hose for a direct hose connection. And it's useful to see "what's going on" with the fluids going through the clear sections.
Just a thought.
Best Regards, James
Old 08-03-2016, 02:57 AM   #16

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...js=1#community

See above post for my installation of a Clean Dump macerator system in my 2016 Axis 24.1.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #17

THOR #4816
Sewer Hose Connection + misc.

Thanks to all for suggestions. After many frustrating hours, I finally got the Viper sewer hose connected. TerryJames, the elbow wouldn't work in my situation because the sewer outlet/drain is totally not aligned with the hole in the compartment floor. In fact, I still have to put a serious kink in the hose to get it into the hole in floor. I was happy to discover that once hooked up, the 10-ft hose could be stuffed into the compartment--so I don't plan to ever unhook the hose until it needs to be replaced. One thing I discovered is that you can have a larger hole drilled in the compartment floor. Service guy said it could be done and they have the threaded screw on cover to fit larger hole.

Oneilkeys, thanks for the information and photo of installation of macerator--very nice. I may go that route when the current hose needs to be replaced. Also a big thanks to Col. Ed Felker for the excellent manual on the 24.1. It will go with me on every trip.

Also, within 2 weeks of purchase, the entry door lock failed. Deadbolt part of lock was broken. My fairy god mother left the driver's side window unlocked so someone could climb in and unscrew the lock from the inside. FYI--Thor wanted $190 for the lock; however, I found the exact same lock/same manufacturer online for $99.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Quote:
Thanks to all for suggestions. After many frustrating hours, I finally got the Viper sewer hose connected. TerryJames, the elbow wouldn't work in my situation because the sewer outlet/drain is totally not aligned with the hole in the compartment floor. In fact, I still have to put a serious kink in the hose to get it into the hole in floor. I was happy to discover that once hooked up, the 10-ft hose could be stuffed into the compartment--so I don't plan to ever unhook the hose until it needs to be replaced. One thing I discovered is that you can have a larger hole drilled in the compartment floor. Service guy said it could be done and they have the threaded screw on cover to fit larger hole.

Oneilkeys, thanks for the information and photo of installation of macerator--very nice. I may go that route when the current hose needs to be replaced. Also a big thanks to Col. Ed Felker for the excellent manual on the 24.1. It will go with me on every trip.

Also, within 2 weeks of purchase, the entry door lock failed. Deadbolt part of lock was broken. My fairy god mother left the driver's side window unlocked so someone could climb in and unscrew the lock from the inside. FYI--Thor wanted $190 for the lock; however, I found the exact same lock/same manufacturer online for $99.
Hi Carol, could you please send a photo of your hose hook up etc. I'm interested in how you have managed to keep the hose hooked up while stored.
Thank you, James
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #19

THOR #4816
James, the connected hose is a 10-footer. It just coils up into the space behind and in front of the drain and valves. We are in a strut right now getting ready to leave on a camping trip in the morning, but when I return, I'll try to get a decent photo (gosh, then I'll have to learn how to post a photo--yikes). Carol
Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #20

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Carol, might be an option vs the macerator:

Completed the installed the Tornado a couple of weeks ago on the Black Water Tank and got to use it (yea!!!!) on the camping trip this past weekend. Install was simple and with the extension for the rinse water installed in the bay above the valves for the Black and Gray Water set up the use was easy.
I have a second water hose for use with the Tornado, fill the Black Water level to 2/3 full, drained, closed the valve, refilled a second time to 2/3rds, drained, closed the valve and refilled a third time to 2/3rds (with some Blue Dawn detergent in the tank)...was quite pleased with the third rinse.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water dump valve, dump valve