Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2022, 12:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Battery disconnect - suddenly a loose wire...

Hello, all. I have what I hope is a quick, easy question.

I have a 2016 Thor Siesta 24SA. A few days ago, we unpacked from a long trip, and I drove the RV to my local storage location. One of the things I do if it will be idle for a while, is disconnect the engine's battery from the engine. There is a cable that is easy to disconnect, in the driver's foot/pedal mess.

Attached is a picture with the possible problem.

The red button at the bottom allows you to pull the cable off the metal stud coming into the cab. The stud is in the middle of the picture, slightly to the right.

My question is: what in the heck is the wire on the right: blue insulation at the top, most of it wrapped in a black coil, with about 1/2" stripped of insulation. Not connected to anything at that end... I never saw this before, and now I wonder if I pulled it off just seconds before, and something bad is going to happen.

I pushed the red-capped cable back on the stud, turned the key - and the engine started. That's great. But what WON'T start with this wire flopping around? Anyone have any idea what it is?

Thanks
Dan K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loose wire.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	39163  

Old 08-18-2022, 01:03 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That looks like a wire for an unused feature or function. The wires for my 'pre-wired for solar' option look like that but in a different location.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:31 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I second what Keefer said. When you see the insulation partially stripped like that (for convenience) it's nearly always a "dead" wire intended for an optional component. So I wouldn't fret too much... it's been there hidden all along.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:11 PM   #4

Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I second what Keefer said. When you see the insulation partially stripped like that (for convenience) it's nearly always a "dead" wire intended for an optional component. So I wouldn't fret too much... it's been there hidden all along.
Thanks to both of you for the "don't worry" answer - I am good at that!

Dan