Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2023, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Washington
THOR #30209
Battery maintenance, seals

the coach batteries (4 deep cycle 6v lead acid) on my Palazzo are not easy to get to. Can anyone recommend a watering/fill/maintenance system? Also, has anyone found a battery box/battery tray that will accommodate 4 batteries (they are approximately 7.5" X 10" each)? I would feel better if my batteries were housed in a container to catch any possible fluids.

Appears that I am also needing to replace the seals around my cargo doors, as I get some standing water in when it rains. Where is a good place to obtain replacement seals? Thor wants $5+ per foot.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:57 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt253 View Post
the coach batteries (4 deep cycle 6v lead acid) on my Palazzo are not easy to get to. Can anyone recommend a watering/fill/maintenance system? Also, has anyone found a battery box/battery tray that will accommodate 4 batteries (they are approximately 7.5" X 10" each)? I would feel better if my batteries were housed in a container to catch any possible fluids.

Appears that I am also needing to replace the seals around my cargo doors, as I get some standing water in when it rains. Where is a good place to obtain replacement seals? Thor wants $5+ per foot.

Thanks.
Flow-Rite is about the best FLA watering system. Amazon carries most parts.

FLA batteries require an open compartment/vented compartment. Those that have switched to LFP batteries usually store them under the dinette bench as they cannot be charged below 32 F degrees.

For any rubber products try Steele Rubber products
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

Thanks.
I have seen some "spill trays" but they are usually way too big (2' x 4') for your batteries. Maybe shop boot trays in the 2' x 2' range or whatever the footprint physical configuration of your batteries are:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:14 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
As Beau said Flow-Rite. We have the Flow Rite system for our two FLA batteries which are a pain to access.
Boot trays is a great idea.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 03:21 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I switched from FLA to AGM to avoid the hassle of watering the batteries. I got tired of having to remove the batteries then clean the compartment and treat for corrosion then reinstall batteries. I had to do this at least twice a year plus monthly checking the water. All that work is forgotten once you install AGMs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:11 AM   #6

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I switched from FLA to AGM to avoid the hassle of watering the batteries. I got tired of having to remove the batteries then clean the compartment and treat for corrosion then reinstall batteries. I had to do this at least twice a year plus monthly checking the water. All that work is forgotten once you install AGMs.
What Lt Keefer says. When it is time to replace those batteries go with AGM's and forget them. My wife has a 2015 Ford Cmax Hybrid that we purchased new. It has two batteries, a 300 volt for the electric motor and a 12 volt for the 12 volt electrical system. A few weeks ago we started getting a message "shut down to save batter" and finally the car would not start. Did a little Googling and found the cause to be the 12 volt battery. We did not even know where the 12 volt battery was and it turned out to be in the rear where the 300 volt battery is. Had to remove a lot of stuff just to get the old battery out. It was 9 years old and the compartment was clean as a whistle. Of course it was an AGM.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
To those that say AGM are maintenance free I say that’s total unadulterated Bulls$&t.

AGM batteries still require a vented battery box and they still get dirty. The cables and connected wiring can work loose over time so maintenance is required. In my case I also have to service the sliding battery tray and make sure the tray locks and rollers don’t are clean and lubricated

I have 6 AGM batteries in my rig. 4 six volt for the house and 2 twelve volt for the chassis.

Maybe they don’t need a fluid check but they still require maintenance.

My battery box after a 500 mile trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	44400

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	44401

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	44402
Old 12-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:

Thanks.
I am in process of replacing the weather striping in my coach with this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C38VVGLW...roduct_details

The is also available in black.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRQTBT4R...kZXRhaWwy&th=1

It is a silicone rubber material so it should hold up well. Make sure you totally remove the old stripping and clean the surface with acetone before installing the new striping. I used a razor blade scraper. If you use a razor scraper you need to be vary carful to keep from nicking the finish on the aluminum molding around the doors.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 05:04 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #22245
Quote:

Thanks.
Flow-Rite is the best. Lease it open under the battery.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #10

THOR #30209
Battery maintenance, seals

Thank you everyone for your helpful and informative comments. I am seriously considering replacing my lead acid batteries with AGM when the replacement becomes necessary. They most certainly still need some minor maintenance, but huge improvement not to have to contort my body just to gain access to the batteries to check and fill. Perhaps one of the flow-rite systems might be good for the near term. I need to learn and determine if any other modifications will be needed if going from lead acid to AGM.

Appears that good 'ol Amazon may have the seals I need for my cargo doors at a much more affordable price than Thor.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to ya'll!
Old 12-05-2023, 06:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your helpful and informative comments. I am seriously considering replacing my lead acid batteries with AGM when the replacement becomes necessary. They most certainly still need some minor maintenance, but huge improvement not to have to contort my body just to gain access to the batteries to check and fill. Perhaps one of the flow-rite systems might be good for the near term. I need to learn and determine if any other modifications will be needed if going from lead acid to AGM.

Appears that good 'ol Amazon may have the seals I need for my cargo doors at a much more affordable price than Thor.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to ya'll!
No, your converter won't know the difference.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:58 PM   #12

THOR #30209
Batteries

Thank you. So just a matter of matching battery performance specs, removing the old and installing the new. Great!
Old 12-05-2023, 10:49 PM   #13

THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
To those that say AGM are maintenance free I say thatís total unadulterated Bulls$&t.

AGM batteries still require a vented battery box and they still get dirty. The cables and connected wiring can work loose over time so maintenance is required. In my case I also have to service the sliding battery tray and make sure the tray locks and rollers donít are clean and lubricated

I have 6 AGM batteries in my rig. 4 six volt for the house and 2 twelve volt for the chassis.

Maybe they donít need a fluid check but they still require maintenance.

Attachment 44400

Attachment 44401

Attachment 44402
A 5 minute visual inspection of the battery bay is a big change from the all day sucker of removing, cleaning and treating. Before and after every trip, I open the door, blow out the compartment, check the wires and spray a coat of boeshield. It is the easiest chore on the whole coach.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:57 PM   #14

THOR #30209
Batteries

Thank you Lt. Any suggestions on battery brand or vendors?
Old 12-06-2023, 12:29 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
To those that say AGM are maintenance free I say that’s total unadulterated Bulls$&t.

AGM batteries still require a vented battery box and they still get dirty. The cables and connected wiring can work loose over time so maintenance is required. In my case I also have to service the sliding battery tray and make sure the tray locks and rollers don’t are clean and lubricated

Maybe they don’t need a fluid check but they still require maintenance.

I had to Google "unadulterated"

Worst thing I didn't do when I bought my new RV was to not dump the brand new NAPA FLA batteries immediately, they were a royal unadulterated PITA. Til this day, I have to live with the corrosion on my brand new concrete pad from those batteries.

With regards to maintenance free.

1. If battery cables are properly torqued they will not come loose.
2. If you had FLA you have proper venting in the compartment, there are no vent hoses on my AGMs
3. The dust is good, as it will protect your battery keeping it insulated from possible exposure to metal or wire that may cause a short. Besides, you will never have a need to go inside the department to do anything to even see the dust.
4. I can't speak to the pull out tray, but I can't say enough about how easy my life has been once I got the AGMs.

Even if you are right and they are NOT truly maintenance free, it is the best battery to buy if you know you will not do any of the steps that may be construed as maintenance.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:34 AM   #16

THOR #30209
Batteries

Thank you Dkoldman. I am quickly becoming convinced that AGM is the way to go. Think I might hold off on the Flow-rite system and put the money to the purchase of AGM batteries.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:45 AM   #17

THOR #11781
Quote:
Thank you Lt. Any suggestions on battery brand or vendors?
I can't give you a recommendation as Clarios and Exide make a lot of different branded batteries. So what you get from Optima or Interstate or Batteries Plus may all be the same battery albeit with different labels. When I needed coach batteries, I priced them from Sam's, Costco, WalMart, Interstate and Batteries Plus as well as the local auto parts stores. Batteries Plus has the best price after a rebate at the time. So that's who I went with. When my chassis battery went out, I repeated the process and WalMart had the best price. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:55 AM   #18

THOR #30209
Batteries

Just now in the process of putting our Palazzo to sleep for the winter in some enclosed and heated storage. Gives me the Winter to do some shopping and hopefully find some deals on AGM.

Thanks again Lt.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:14 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
When I went through the which AGM decision a few years ago, I tried to find a bad Group AGM battery. Meaning one that somebody would, NEVER buy that battery. I got crickets. I don't know that any AGM battery is a bad choice, so for me it came down to price and capacity.

I did lots of research and the House battery (AGM) that had the most capacity was the 125ah SLR V Max Tank. If I recall the next battery had 110ah. So given I only have space for two Group 31s, and I could buy two for less cost than Duracell's at Sam's I was intending to buy, I rolled the dice. I got about 18 months to go before they make the 4 year mark; so I can't speak to their longevity yet, but so far 2 1/2 years; so good. We almost doubled our AH capacity from our OEM NAPA FLA. When I dumped my FLAs they were about a year and half old and in good shape ( maybe low on water because I refused to add water) Regardless, I couldn't give them away. I finally had a Texas Inspection station that let me drop them off to be recycled.

Now with all this said, I have never had any issues with our NAPA FLA chassis battery, it is now 5 years old. I will likely replace it next year unless it does die during this winter. When I do replace; I will buy the Wal Mart Platinum AGM H8 that has 4 year warranty. AH is not a factor.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:51 AM   #20

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Thank you Dkoldman. I am quickly becoming convinced that AGM is the way to go. Think I might hold off on the Flow-rite system and put the money to the purchase of AGM batteries.
I say that is a good plan. We owned a 40 foot diesel pusher for 14 years with 8 FLA batteries. I had to add water once a month and had my Google Calendar send me reminders. I tried the Flo-Rite system but it gave me a lot of trouble and often would not fill the batteries to the correct level. I kept replacing parts and finally trashed the Flo-Rite and went back squeeze bottles. Of course our batteries were very accessible and I can understand going with the Flo-Rite if your batteries are in a difficult place.

We ordered a new 2022 Class C and it came with two AGM batteries under the steps for the house. I have not had to do anything maintenance wise for the house or the chassis batteries. The Ford E-450 also came from the factory with an AGM battery.

We have a new 2023 Chevy Colorado and it came from the factory with an AGM battery.

Everything we own now has AGM batteries including our John Deer tractor.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote