Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
Question BatteryMINder Has anyone invested in one?

Thinking about installing a BatteryMINder, do they work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-15-19-39-26.png
Views:	197
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1171

Old 12-16-2015, 01:53 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
When I had an Airstream 3500 on a Sprinter chassis many owners were using it, They were quite happy.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
I use one similar to that for my UTV's and occationaly put in on my RV for a charge in the winter. Works great.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
They were rated as one of the best in a Family Motor Coaching article dealing with battery maintenance.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #5

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I use a Battery Tender (same thing, different brand) on the motorcycle in the winter. Works a treat. Which reminds me, 15 degrees this morning. I need to hook it up!

I had one on the chassis battery of the Axis, but traffic at the storage lot killed the extension cord.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
If your going to use it for your RV, I believe you have to isolate your batteries from you RV circuit, by either disconnecting them or an Isolation switch. Doing that, the BatteryMinder should work great. The problem arises that anything inside your RV that works concurrently with your batteries will not work... lights, fans, ect. So my question back would be, if your going to use this on your RVs batteies... WHY? Please tell us more of your intentions.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I have used Battery Tender products for years. On the motorcycles, boat, TT and now the RV. One Battery tender plus will maintain two batteries, not sure about any more. I just purchased a Battery Tender 15w solar for the house batteries and a 5w Solar for the chassis. My coach faces south when stored so they lay on the dash. Deltran (Battery Tender) also has excellent customer service if you have any questions a human even picks up the phone.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I use a Battery Tender on my boat
this one I believe it is
022-0150-DL-WH

before using this I replaced far too many batteries that died due to long storage times and self discharge. Since using this, knock on wood, I've gone a long time with no problems. I give it high marks!

On my MH, I installed disconnects on each battery and haven't had a problem, storing roughly 3 months without use, usually less. I think these trickle chargers really pay for themselves for batteries that see much longer storage times... maybe 5, 6 months and more....
Old 12-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
I don't have the model you are looking at but I like mine so well, I bought two of them two years ago and still going strong. I have 10 different battery's to maintain.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
This is not a battery charger it is a battery desulfonator and I wouldn't trade mine for anything. It works great. It is not a battery tender, don't confuse it with a battery tender. It works anytime the battery is being charged.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #11

Model: Axis
State: Michigan
THOR #2614
I use a 3 volt Schumacher charger/maintainer and would not travel or store my axis without it.

Philco44
Old 12-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 34ST
State: Oregon
THOR #1149
I bought the BatteryMinder years ago when we lived in Alaska. I would pull the batteries from my class C for winter storage and hook them all up to the BatteryMinder. My deep cycle batteries went from lasting 2-3 years to about 6 (I never had to replace them again before I got rid of the class C). Now I carry it in the diesel pusher just in case my toad battery needs a little help.

Steve
Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #13

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
If your going to use it for your RV, I believe you have to isolate your batteries from you RV circuit, by either disconnecting them or an Isolation switch. Doing that, the BatteryMinder should work great. The problem arises that anything inside your RV that works concurrently with your batteries will not work... lights, fans, ect. So my question back would be, if your going to use this on your RVs batteies... WHY? Please tell us more of your intentions.
This is not a battery charger. This is a battery desulfonator. You do not need to disconnect or isolate the batteries from the coach. This only works when connected and the battery is being charged either by the vehicle alternator or via the converter.

Come on people be accurate, it a desulfonator it keeps your batteries from sulfonate buildup. It's made for use in vehicles such as RV's. If you don't know what a desulfonator is or how to desulfonator a battery look it up. The other method of using high voltage for hours can produce hydrogen gas. This method doesn't.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Battery Tender Plus. Hardwired mine to battery and secured to AC outlet. As long as there is AC the chassis battery was being maintained. There will be no problem even running gen while traveling.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
This is not a battery charger. This is a battery desulfonator. You do not need to disconnect or isolate the batteries from the coach. This only works when connected and the battery is being charged either by the vehicle alternator or via the converter.

Come on people be accurate, it a desulfonator it keeps your batteries from sulfonate buildup. It's made for use in vehicles such as RV's. If you don't know what a desulfonator is or how to desulfonator a battery look it up. The other method of using high voltage for hours can produce hydrogen gas. This method doesn't.
BatteryMINDer Model 1500: 12Volt 1.5 Amp Maintenance Charger / Desulfator can be found at this URL. BatteryMINDer 1500 | 12 Volt Maintenance Charger Desulfator

The Battery Minder is a Maintainer, Charger and Desulfator that can be used on a single or multiple batteries. Although they mention it is for 12V batteries the instruction manual says it can be used on multiple 6V batteries connected in series to where the final output is 12V.

One note on the Battery Minder, and all AC chargers, is that if AC power is not available the wires must be disconnected from the battery or the unit may actually draw power. This point was made in the FMCA article I mention above.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I don't believe anyone responded to your question. My thought is that some RV chargers are not as "smart" as others and can continuously charge the batteries, causing them to eventually boil dry. This is a normal occurrence when a battery is charged. I think that maintainers can also cause a battery or batteries to eventually loose water, but not nearly as at high a rate as a battery charger. I have used maintainers on RV batteries while still connected with no ill effects. However I make sure the "Use" switch in set to storage.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #17

THOR #3186
Ooooops senior moment. I use solar and the the Batterymnder desulfonator. Works great.

That's the device the giant RV corona, sales manager, service manager had no frigging idea st to what it was. My batteries had died while in their shop. I told them once, then twice, and when he asked the third time I sad Sr. It hasn't changed since the first time I told u what it was. It is still a desulfonator. He blew, told hm he was a stupid bully, got kicked out which turned out to be the best because I easily fixed the remaining issues with Thor Warranty help, now I know how to do stuff.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
I purchased the 15 watt solar panel version, (Model SCC-015), for my PopUp way back in 2004. It kept the house battery on a float charge, and "de-sulfated" always ready for use.

I have since used it for other vehicles that I will not be using regularly. I just place the solar panel on the dashboard, and the BatteryMinder does it's thing.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #19

State: Arkansas
THOR #8135
Bought the batteryminder 2012 today!