Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
j37genie - great advise! Sounds like a gennie problem is in your past - darn sure was for us! I would take this all a step further - exercise EVERYTHING at least a few times (furnace, jacks, gennie, hot water heater (electric and gas mode), microwave, television (cable/OTA and signal amp), slides, bunks - everything. Once is simply not enough. The other piece of advise - have them point out where everything is located. Make sure you include some of the more critical electronic components (slide motor synch modules, inverter, ground fault isolation plugs, inline breakers for house batteries and chassis to house charging, if you have the remote camping module where it is at, etc). Being covered by a warranty is great but the first time you're setting in a campground and cannot retract a slide or cannot get any power to your from your house batteries or you cannot retract your jacks - you will be glad you did.

Everyone of these things have happened to us - easy fix when you know where these components are located. Alternative is you can wait on warranty service to show up and do the work.

Loose wires, blown fuses, tripped breakers and tripped GFIs happen - it is just how a house on wheels roll.

When these things happen and you aren't sure what to do - come on back and ask the question. Most of us have a few knowledge knots from slamming into these issues and raising a knot on our heads.

After all of this - enjoy!!! We love our Challenger.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Also, don't let the dealer rush you. When I picked up my Hurricane in January, the dealer told me that they allow 60-90 minutes for the PDI. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I told them that it was going to take as long as necessary in order for me to be comfortable with all of the systems. I have owned many new campers and motorhomes over the years. While there may be similarities in systems, each one is subtly different in terms of their location, absence or presence of water heater bypass systems, winterizing kit installed, propane only or propane/electric water heater, and so on and so on.

After all of the PDI's I've been through, I still sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that I know something and don't need to ask. Big mistake. If they tell you that the water heater is behind a certain panel, make them unscrew the panel and show you the back of it and how the bypass valves work. Snap pictures of each system, print them out, and keep them with the rest of your owner's documentation.

Sometimes we get caught up in the excitement of the newness of our new purchase and then get frustrated later on when we don't know how the various systems work. Good luck, and above all, enjoy it!
X2! I've been RVing for a long time, have owned one of just about every type, I still forget or miss things occasionally! Knowledge can sometimes be a dangerous thing!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #23

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Tips

We did have a gennie issue, and getting it repaired, even under warranty, can be a hassle. First, you have to locate a Cummins Onan dealer. Second, you have to find one that's not booked up. Third, the warranty does not cover travel to your location. That travel charge can easily be over $100/hr, and you may get an apprentice technician who spends the first couple of hours on his computer researching tech bulletins and RV forums. Btw - we had a defective carb. Gennie would run 15-20 mins then shut down.

The wipers: they were checked be the dealer at low speed. Leaving the dealership, we were on a 2-lane road doing 65 mph when we hit a hard downpour. Turned on the wipers, went to high speed, and the wipers flopped over and stopped! (Insert pucker factor :-)) Turns out the framework for the wiper assembly was bent, and had to be replaced.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
One more tip, when we did our PDI we took pictures of the things we questioned and things that needed fixing (even just the cosmetic stuff)...helps the memory.

I would recommend doing the same and take a tape measure to give scale to some of the cosmetic stuff. We had gaps in the inside covering for the front pilliars. While waiting for the parts to come in, I had to go back and retake the pictures of the gaps with the tape measure to help with the warranty paperwork...it might have saved some time had I taken the pictures with a tape measure in the frame the first time.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #25

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Also, check the plumbing under pressure. Run the shower for several minutes, and check for leaks around the floor outside the shower. Check the water bay for leaks, switching from normal to city, etc.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #26

THOR #5196
With all the advice we've given sforal he's going to be worried sick! Enjoy the experience and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
With all the advice we've given sforal he's going to be worried sick! Enjoy the experience and HAVE FUN!!!
Yes, above all, have fun! The advice is given because of the old idiom - Forewarned is forearmed (If you know about something beforehand, you can prepare for it).
Old 03-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #28

THOR #1020
Spot on - have fun!!!! We have been coast to coast twice in the last 2 years while logging 30,000 miles. We've spent about 5 months with at least 3 of our grandkids at a time, facilitated birthdays, Easter egg hunts and lots of friendly get togethers - and we aren't even full time. We spend about 8 months a year traveling.

So yep, the real lesson is enjoy remembering the journey is the destination - especially in your RV.

PS: The DW was adamantly opposed to an RV - now - it is an important part of our lives and staying in touch with friends and family.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 AM   #29

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I want to thank each of you for your help! I've received some excellent advice and appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with me!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #30

THOR #1020
sforal - aw shucks. :-)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #31

THOR #6203
SuperD
FYI I'm not a "he" ! :-)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #32

THOR #1020
Nope - neither the DW or I are he or she - we are RVers and LOVING it. Blessing for you and safe travels.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #33

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
SuperD
FYI I'm not a "he" ! :-)
Sorry, please forgive me, absolutely no offense intended!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #34

THOR #6203
SuperD absolutely no offense taken! I think the majority of people on this forum are probably male so it was a logical assumption on your part!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #35

THOR #5196
Quote:
SuperD absolutely no offense taken! I think the majority of people on this forum are probably male so it was a logical assumption on your part!
Thank You!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
THOR #121
Quote:
More ladies are on here than you would think
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #37

THOR #6203
fhenn
I'm glad to hear that. I would hate to be the only one!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #38

Model: Synergy
State: Florida
THOR #6194
Ed's checklist

In case it's not been mentioned before, there is a wonderful manual and check lists created by a member: Ed Felker. Here is a link. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

We used his pre-delivery inspection check list.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 AM   #39

THOR #6203
Puppy paws -- Thanks, I have that checklist along with at least a page of questions.
I feel sorry for whoever has to do the PDI on my coach! They have their work cut out for them. I hope they have a lot of patience! They're going to need it!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #40

THOR #1020
sfori - right attitude. We insisted on doing a thorough PDI and that the repairs be made prior to taking delivery.

Scanning through Col Ed Felker's Manual (I can only say WOW - what an effort), pay particular attention to the relay and slide controller locations. If a commode doesn't flush or a door won't stay closed or even a TV isn't working - you can still move on down the road. No batteries, slides hanging out or engine won't start - you aren't inconvenienced - you are STUCK!! Take pictures.

Again, IMO.