Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Best cleaner waxes and DA applicator pads to use?

Hi everyone...what do you guys use as a cleaner wax on your Thor ACE? Does anyone apply with a DA polisher to save time?

What do you guys use to remove the oxidation (black lines)?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN View Post
Hi everyone...what do you guys use as a cleaner wax on your Thor ACE? Does anyone apply with a DA polisher to save time?

I use a 50/50 mix of Maquires Good carwash/wax & Turtle Wax wash/wax, works well leaving a nice shine. If wax is needed I use TW Wash & Wax while damp spray & wipe or Slick Mist using the same procedure. Basically any automotive washes or waxes work well
As for the oxidation you may have to use a buffing compound to possibly bring it back but usually it'll show back up eventually, so don't drive yourself nuts trying to permanently cure it.
The black streaks are generally smog running off the roof, not oxidation, that I've had good luck using Simple Green to remove it. Spray the SG, let it sit a few minutes & using above mentioned soap/water wash/rinse then the spray the above mentioned wax.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #3

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:

I use the polishing machine and compounds that I get from Adam's polishes. Just used the the compound, then polish and wax on mine a couple of weeks back. Have been using there products for about 10 years, mostly on my car's and Hot Rod's. You can find them online https://adamspolishes.com/collection...RoCAUgQAvD_BwE

The black streaks, the above compound takes it right off.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #4

THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I use the polishing machine and compounds that I get from Adam's polishes. Just used the the compound, then polish and wax on mine a couple of weeks back. Have been using there products for about 10 years, mostly on my car's and Hot Rod's. You can find them online https://adamspolishes.com/collection...RoCAUgQAvD_BwE

The black streaks, the above compound takes it right off.

So I believed that the ACEs had a gel coating but I heard something to the contrary recently. Perhaps I'm overthinking it but does anyone know for sure?
I used Meguiar's Marine/RV cleaner/wax last year and did it by hand (first year as an owner and leaned a lot) was very pleased with the results but it turned into a better part of a 2 day job. Not looking to repeat that scenario this year.
Kwplot34 which pad (and where do you get your pads?) do you use to apply the polish?
Old 05-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #5

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
So I believed that the ACEs had a gel coating but I heard something to the contrary recently. Perhaps I'm overthinking it but does anyone know for sure?
I used Meguiar's Marine/RV cleaner/wax last year and did it by hand (first year as an owner and leaned a lot) was very pleased with the results but it turned into a better part of a 2 day job. Not looking to repeat that scenario this year.
Kwplot34 which pad (and where do you get your pads?) do you use to apply the polish?
I get everything from adams polishes, The compound,polish,wax, machine and pads. After you use the polish on your RV you need to wax it, I use their Buttery wax.
https://adamspolishes.com/collection...29288052719713 this is the polish pad I use the 5.5 inch pad.

And this is the pad I use for the wax again the 5.5 inch pad
https://adamspolishes.com/collection...am-glazing-pad

And this is the machine I have
https://adamspolishes.com/collection...iller-polisher
I use the 5.5 inch pad because I originally purchased this for my cars,Before I do the motor home again I need to get the optional 6 inch backing plate.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I'd bet the front cap area is gelcoat with the sides/rear being Filon, which is a type of fiberglass, neither are painted rather the color is infused in the material.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #7

THOR #6722
Is there any coating on the Filon at all?...thanks