Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17954
Best Gas card

Going cross country this fall. Is getting a gas card a good savings versus using credit card? If so which cards are best and most accepted. I usually use Flying J, Loves or Pilots for gassing up. Good Sam member but savings not great. For example My wawa card save me a minimum of 5 cents a gallon.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Whichever card gives you the highest spending limit...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Your Good Sam car should save you 5 cents a gallon at FlyingJ and Pilot. Signing up for Shell loyalty gets you at least 5 cents a gallon. Murphy Express gives you 10 cents off a gallon for each 100 points you accumulate and they are generally the cheapest in town: 1 gallon=1 point. Except for Good Sam, savings is normally limited to a 20 gallon purchase. With Shell, when you hit 20 gallons you just start the pump again for another 20 gallons at discounted rate (how stupid).

Any card (credit or otherwise) that gives you a percent off/back is generally a better deal than a "cents off/gallon" deal. 5% off is 3 times better than 5 cents a gallon off.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If I had wanted to save on fuel costs: buying a motorhome would never have been an option...
I would have bo8ught another motorcycle!
Old 05-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
These are the one's I use...

Sams MasterCard = 5% cash-back on gas station gas (no food retailer gas...ie 7/11, Kroger, Safeway, etc)

Costco Visa = 4% cash-back (same as above exclusions)

Good Sam Club Membership = $.05/gallon at Pilot/FlyingJ

Bottomline, when at Pilot/FlyingJ and I use my Sams Mastercard...
- I get $.05 off per gallon + 5% cash-back
Old 05-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Let's say that you bought 100 gallons of fuel during a trip...
$300...
a nickel per gallon less would save you only $5
4% discount would save you $12
and 5% off would save you $15

For those kinds of savings: you could probably alter your driving habits, and save just as much!
Old 05-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Circle K easy pay. 10 cents off per gallon.

TSD Logistics for diesel.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
$300...

For those kinds of savings: you could probably alter your driving habits, and save just as much!
But as my wife would say: "That's a nickel in my pocket and not theirs."

There's a lot of pieces to the puzzle to grow wealth over a lifetime and be able to have the ability to do things like own a motorhome and travel. Those good habits are hard to break when you reach that place.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hear what you're saying...
But to me: the savings isn't worth the effort.
But that's just me!
Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
1. Costco Visa

We've found that Flying J is somewhat higher than the other stations so the Sams offset brings them down to about normal prices.

We also have BP points that offers $$ off after spending $100 which is about 1 fill up on the Chateau.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:02 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
fact: as I've told my four sons over the years... spending any money is never 'saving' money, no matter how you cut it. If you spent a penny, you've LOST money, not saved anything. But, we tend to use the term 'save' as though we really mean that we are comparing our purchase cost to another 'form' of purchase price for the same item, or service, or need.
What we're really saying is that we want to pay the lowest cost for the same need, practically speaking. Now, if you 'spend' more in fuel to 'get' to the lower-cost fuel station, you just 'may' have 'spent' all your 'savings' just to GET THERE. Our minds want to only be concerned with what we are actually PAYING< and not nearly as concerned with all of the EFFORT, Mileage, and other potential 'costs' that are inherent with 'finding' those savings.
The little old widow lady really imagines that she's 'SAVING' money when she pinches her pennies and takes her coupons all around town to every grocery store in order to buy everything at the 'lowest' cost. What's she really doing is performing a 'hobby', where she only pays attention to the dollar bill that she's taking out of her purse in order to buy her item, versus the FUEL that she 'wasted' to get across town to the one store that 'saved' her 6 cents for that item.
Maybe that's a little 'overboard' for a comparison scenario, and maybe real life is not that brutal, but sometimes we do the same things in our own 'efforts' to feel as though we are not 'paying' more than we should.

If you are looking to 'minimize' your FUEL cost, which is maybe a better way to 'frame' this conversation, you can certainly deploy several ways of doing that.
First, certainly don't simply stop at the most 'convenient' fuel stop just because it's 'easier' to maneuver with your RV, or because it is the 'first' one you see - chances are, you may not be paying the 'fairest' price versus other options, even in the same area.
Secondly, don't think that Diesel is 'cheaper' simply because it's from a 'truck stop', or in the 'truck lanes'. Large diesel retailers are less worried about 'your' price for diesel since most of the trucks have some type of 'discount' or 'bid' price that you'll never see, or receive - you'll pay the posted 'retail' price.
Third, use gasbuddy.com or the app the easily find options that meet your needs. Yes, seeing a station with 10 cents less per gallon is a nice option, and certainly worth any minimal drive if you are filling a 90 gallon tank, but most of the time you are not pumping NEARLY that much fuel, so the 'equation' of savings may not be worth the 'out of the way' trip to get there. Amazingly, though, you may also just find that one of the more 'local' fuel stations, especially smaller ones, along your travel path may just be the best price.
Sometimes, I know that there 'might' be lower prices ahead, but I'm just wanting to get it over with NOW so I don't 'have' to worry about it along the way, especially when you are traveling places you've never been.
(by the way, the apps and websites are not ALWAYS correct, meaning that you might be lured by a low-ball price, only to find that it's not correct when you arrive. I've found that if you see a price online or on the app that is extremely lower than everyone else, it's probably a misprint. Another thought is that a fuel station is not always an ACCESSIBLE fuel station. Just ask me. Went WAY out of our way in Anniston Alabama to a very low cost station, only to find that it was a 'special' station only for those employee by the base, there, apparently some type of 'federal' facility.

I will always do what I can to pay the lowest price I can - it makes sense. But, there ARE situations that don't always lend to that effort - you have to be o.k. with it and remember that it's just a cost, it's not the end of the world.

We found that we use our credit card, which happens to be the Walmart branded MC and gives a great fuel discount credit, at ANY station, but especially Walmarts, Murphy's on walmart property, and Sams. Murphy's is not the easiest to maneuver, but if you're able, it's there to help you save. I've never worried about 'fuel cards' in all our 110,000 miles of travel, as I've found that they are never as 'rich' in benefits as you are led to believe, they require you to use that brand, which may not be anywhere close to a 'good' price in the first place, and it also requires you to 'manage' how you've used it - I'll just stick with my little 'ol credit card I can use anywhere.(unless a CASH price is REALLY attractive!)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I prefer to just drive slower, and use less fuel...
Old 05-15-2021, 12:10 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thx we have costco visa

Sams MasterCard = 5% cash-back*on gas station gas (no food retailer gas...ie 7/11, Kroger, Safeway, etc)

Costco Visa = 4% cash-back*(same as above exclusions)

Good Sam Club Membership = $.05/gallon*at Pilot/FlyingJ
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:06 AM   #14
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Gas savings

Quote:
$300...

Well Bob here's another math quiz, 1 US gal = 3.79L, presently one litre of reg gas in Ontario costs + - $1.30, 1.30 x 3.79=$4.93/gal. I just use my US MC and save by driving over the border. Can't wait to travel state side again.....
Old 05-15-2021, 02:24 AM   #15

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your Good Sam car should save you 5 cents a gallon at FlyingJ and Pilot. Signing up for Shell loyalty gets you at least 5 cents a gallon. Murphy Express gives you 10 cents off a gallon for each 100 points you accumulate and they are generally the cheapest in town: 1 gallon=1 point. Except for Good Sam, savings is normally limited to a 20 gallon purchase. With Shell, when you hit 20 gallons you just start the pump again for another 20 gallons at discounted rate (how stupid).

Any card (credit or otherwise) that gives you a percent off/back is generally a better deal than a "cents off/gallon" deal. 5% off is 3 times better than 5 cents a gallon off.

Thanks very much
Old 05-15-2021, 02:26 AM   #16

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Well Bob here's another math quiz, 1 US gal = 3.79L, presently one litre of reg gas in Ontario costs + - $1.30, 1.30 x 3.79=$4.93/gal. I just use my US MC and save by driving over the border. Can't wait to travel state side again.....

Nice
Old 05-15-2021, 02:30 AM   #17

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
fact: as I've told my four sons over the years... spending any money is never 'saving' money, no matter how you cut it. If you spent a penny, you've LOST money, not saved anything. But, we tend to use the term 'save' as though we really mean that we are comparing our purchase cost to another 'form' of purchase price for the same item, or service, or need.
What we're really saying is that we want to pay the lowest cost for the same need, practically speaking. Now, if you 'spend' more in fuel to 'get' to the lower-cost fuel station, you just 'may' have 'spent' all your 'savings' just to GET THERE. Our minds want to only be concerned with what we are actually PAYING&lt; and not nearly as concerned with all of the EFFORT, Mileage, and other potential 'costs' that are inherent with 'finding' those savings.
The little old widow lady really imagines that she's 'SAVING' money when she pinches her pennies and takes her coupons all around town to every grocery store in order to buy everything at the 'lowest' cost. What's she really doing is performing a 'hobby', where she only pays attention to the dollar bill that she's taking out of her purse in order to buy her item, versus the FUEL that she 'wasted' to get across town to the one store that 'saved' her 6 cents for that item.
Maybe that's a little 'overboard' for a comparison scenario, and maybe real life is not that brutal, but sometimes we do the same things in our own 'efforts' to feel as though we are not 'paying' more than we should.

If you are looking to 'minimize' your FUEL cost, which is maybe a better way to 'frame' this conversation, you can certainly deploy several ways of doing that.
First, certainly don't simply stop at the most 'convenient' fuel stop just because it's 'easier' to maneuver with your RV, or because it is the 'first' one you see - chances are, you may not be paying the 'fairest' price versus other options, even in the same area.
Secondly, don't think that Diesel is 'cheaper' simply because it's from a 'truck stop', or in the 'truck lanes'. Large diesel retailers are less worried about 'your' price for diesel since most of the trucks have some type of 'discount' or 'bid' price that you'll never see, or receive - you'll pay the posted 'retail' price.
Third, use gasbuddy.com or the app the easily find options that meet your needs. Yes, seeing a station with 10 cents less per gallon is a nice option, and certainly worth any minimal drive if you are filling a 90 gallon tank, but most of the time you are not pumping NEARLY that much fuel, so the 'equation' of savings may not be worth the 'out of the way' trip to get there. Amazingly, though, you may also just find that one of the more 'local' fuel stations, especially smaller ones, along your travel path may just be the best price.
Sometimes, I know that there 'might' be lower prices ahead, but I'm just wanting to get it over with NOW so I don't 'have' to worry about it along the way, especially when you are traveling places you've never been.
(by the way, the apps and websites are not ALWAYS correct, meaning that you might be lured by a low-ball price, only to find that it's not correct when you arrive. I've found that if you see a price online or on the app that is extremely lower than everyone else, it's probably a misprint. Another thought is that a fuel station is not always an ACCESSIBLE fuel station. Just ask me. Went WAY out of our way in Anniston Alabama to a very low cost station, only to find that it was a 'special' station only for those employee by the base, there, apparently some type of 'federal' facility.

I will always do what I can to pay the lowest price I can - it makes sense. But, there ARE situations that don't always lend to that effort - you have to be o.k. with it and remember that it's just a cost, it's not the end of the world.

We found that we use our credit card, which happens to be the Walmart branded MC and gives a great fuel discount credit, at ANY station, but especially Walmarts, Murphy's on walmart property, and Sams. Murphy's is not the easiest to maneuver, but if you're able, it's there to help you save. I've never worried about 'fuel cards' in all our 110,000 miles of travel, as I've found that they are never as 'rich' in benefits as you are led to believe, they require you to use that brand, which may not be anywhere close to a 'good' price in the first place, and it also requires you to 'manage' how you've used it - I'll just stick with my little 'ol credit card I can use anywhere.(unless a CASH price is REALLY attractive!)

Thanks, guess my Capital One Visa is fine
Old 05-15-2021, 02:33 AM   #18

THOR #17954
Quote:
I prefer to just drive slower, and use less fuel...

Yup 65 to 68 is fine with me. My many miles so far have been always 8.5 to 9.5 mpg. So my V-10 does okay. At 70 an up 8 maybe.

Thanks Bob
Old 05-15-2021, 02:42 AM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We use one credit card on the road or at home with the best cash back. Use the card for everything, groceries, gas ,camping fees, dining out or whatever. Over the course of a year the accumulated points usually pays for one long trip each season
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:26 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Cash is king. That and not driving all over looking for the brand of gas that takes your special card.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote