Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Best holding tank chemicals

Hi to all. I thought I would ask the community what holding tank chemicals work best in the black water tank. There are so many different choices, solid, liquid etc. when we are camping with full hookups, especially with company visiting, we wind up dumping the tank almost daily. I've noticed that there isn't much time for paper and solids to break down, which may cause clogged sensors. Is there a chemical treatment that works best for this scenario vs another?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

State: Colorado
THOR #8837
We have used many different ones over the years but our favorite for the past few years is "Happy Camper". It does not have a chemical smell, seems to largely eliminate the smells you don't want and in every way seems to work very well. It is a powder so it needs to be mixed for use; which may be a down side for some people. We typically get it via Amazon.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We use the green pods from Walex (Walex Bio Pac). About every 4th black tank drain, I fill the tank with clear water and rinse to clear the sensors of paper debris.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
New to R.V. ownership here. Is it best and necessary to rinse with clean water after every black water tank dump in order to keep sensors clear or am I being over cautious?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The best answer is, you need to try a couple & if you don't like those try a couple more til you find what works best for YOU. Generally the chemicals are more for odor than breaking down the waste, its usually not in there long enough.
You must have LOTS of company or a very small black tank if you're dumping every other day. That also may be why it's not breaking down too well, dumping too often.
NEVER leave the black drain valve open while connected to sewer, you can leave the greys open til a day or 2 before needing to dump the black. Its best to let it get fairly full with plenty of water before dumping. Dump black, then rinse black tank, drain grey/greys, then rinse hose, add 2-5 gallons of water to the toilet, then add chemicals.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #6

THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
The best answer is, you need to try a couple & if you don't like those try a couple more til you find what works best for YOU. Generally the chemicals are more for odor than breaking down the waste, its usually not in there long enough.
You must have LOTS of company or a very small black tank if you're dumping every other day. That also may be why it's not breaking down too well, dumping too often.
NEVER leave the black drain valve open while connected to sewer, you can leave the greys open til a day or 2 before needing to dump the black. Its best to let it get fairly full with plenty of water before dumping. Dump black, then rinse black tank, drain grey/greys, then rinse hose, add 2-5 gallons of water to the toilet, then add chemicals.
Thank's.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

THOR #3610
BTW, if you're dumping the black tank because the sensor says it's full, don't count those sensors being even remotely accurate on any of the holding tanks, mine have read 1/3 & 2/3 since the day I pulled it off the lot new.
Your black tank should be at least 30 gallons maybe several gallons more (not familiar with your rv) so should last 5-7 days before needing dumped.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
my experience and research says that most long time RV'er just use water..... plenty of water....and no chemicals

After dumping I'll run 3-4 toilet bowls full of water into the tank, then use water for each flush.

I keep a bottle of that Thetford blue stuff on hand.... because once in a while if things go wrong we'll get a stink smell. Like the time the air admittance valve failed. I think of the blue stuff as a quick fix air freshener. Just a once in a while thing. I don't use it regularly....don't need to.

But I found that it offers the fastest odor knock down of the few things I've tried.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Steve -- my wife and I get about 5 days on the black tank before I dump. We do try to NOT put solids in the tank, and generally use the campground facilities for that. We use RV toilet paper or single ply that dissolves quickly. But because the paper is single ply my wife winds up using about twice the amount.

I agree with Travelin' -- the sensors are hugely inaccurate. After camping several times you'll figure out how many days you can go before having to dump the Black tank.

And never leave the black tank valve open. The stuff that is going to be in that tank needs lots of water to keep from hardening into a brick pyramid under the toilet connection.

And remember -- the back tank is not a septic system. As its name implies it is a holding tank (to hold the material so that you can dump it later). Although the paper will break down, the other solids won't like they would in a septic tank. So you need plenty of water in the tank when you dump to get the "woosh" effect of the water in the tank so that it pushes the material out the drain when dumping.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #10

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I'm with lildell. I use "Happy Camper". I have a Tornado installed too. I try to use it every time I dump the black tank.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
We use the Thetford Campa Chems toss ins. In the two years we have been rv'ing we have never had any issue with odors or solid matter buildup.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #12

THOR #1249
Been using lots of water and cheap(if there is any) dish washing liquid for many years in the black tank. Keeps the seal in the toilet lubed and clean and maybe the tank a little cleaner.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We have used this for years. And yes, I know it is not cheap but we really like it.
https://www.bluestreakchem.net
Old 08-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #14

THOR #3610
As long as you use no more than 2 ply & it says septic safe on the package & use plenty of water (which you should do anyway) you can use about any brand of TP you want. The only time we've ever used "rv" toilet paper is when they gave it to us buying/trading rvs, rv stuff is horrible.
As far as not putting solids in the toilet, that's why we bought so we didn't have to use park facilities, otherwise we'd just go back to the tent. If it's because of being nasty or foul smelling then you're in for a surprise as a lot of times the grey water smells as bad or worse than the black, therefore use the chemicals in all of the waste tanks.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-20-2017, 04:38 AM   #15

Model: Windsport
State: California
THOR #4835
My friend doesn't believe in chemicals so she told me she uses Arm & Hammer laundry detergent. It's the granular type and you use one scoop in the bowl and fill with water. You scrub the bowl then flush and add plenty of water. So far I like it and it smells pretty.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #16

Model: Windsport
State: California
THOR #4835
Pretty good! Lol
Old 08-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Which chemical is best for a toilet is kinda like asking which oil is best for your engine, everyone has their own preference. As Ed said the black tank is for holding waste until it can be dumped. If you have an odor problem then chemicals may help, but what you really need is good air circulation. Most tank vents on the roof are very restrictive and don't allow for good airflow. I know it's "something else to buy" but a 360 roof vent gives the airflow your tank needs and keeps the odors above the roof where they belong.

Probably under your bathroom sink, in most coaches, is an air admittance valve screwed in to the drain. If the valve is not screwed in tight it will let in odor. If the valve is bad you can get a replacement at most hardware stores, they're a common size.

Putting plenty of water in the tank after dumping ensures solids won't stick to the bottom and create the dreaded "brown pyramid".

If you still continue to have odors after using chemicals, putting in plenty of water, and adding a 360 vent cover, then you probably need to quit eating XL chili cheese burritos with extra hot sauce!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #18

THOR #8606
Lot's of good advice on the black tank. What about best type dish washing soap to use in grey tank since it can also emit worse smell than black tank has someone experienced best soap to clean that would end up in the grey?
Old 08-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Most people say Dawn there are TON of videos on You Tube

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
x2 Dawn. Smell from the gray tank has the same problems as the black, lack of good air circulation and loose or bad air admittance valve.