Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Great - lots of info and discussions. As we travel, I try to integrate it all - with the top tier fuel discussion I now have another data point.

Enjoy and try to remember that for a great deal of us "the journey is the destination".

Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #22

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Gas buddy was mentioned earlier. I use that a lot. If Top-tier gas is what you are looking for and you are not sure if a station has it, GasBuddy shows a Top Tier symbol on the station listing.

This link will show you the brands that carry Top Tier fuel as well. Home | Top Tier Gas

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #23

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Don't want to beat the subject of station selection to death, but yesterday reaffirmed my commitment for using Flying J or Pilot stations with RV gas lanes.

Preparing for a trip Monday so I wanted to fuel up and then take rig home to wash it. Closest/cheapest gas is a Love's out on I-75. I have used this station to pump out when returning from trips but rarely get fuel there because there are no dedicated RV lanes.

Because of my size and the layout of this Love's I needed to use one of the outside lanes. Even though they were not busy this involved a 25 minute wait. One old pickup truck fueled and went inside never to return, on the other end a Mom parked at pump then took her kids inside. She returned 10 minutes later, fueled, then everyone went back inside. She finally returned, got everyone buckled in, adjusted everything herself, and headed out so I could pull in.

Counting pumping my fuel, we spent over 45 minutes at this station. It wasn't the station's fault, or even the other car customer's, it was just something I had to be prepared to deal with because I was trying to fuel up a large MH in a station designed with gasoline pumps for cars.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Don't want to beat the subject of station selection to death, but yesterday reaffirmed my commitment for using Flying J or Pilot stations with RV gas lanes.

Preparing for a trip Monday so I wanted to fuel up and then take rig home to wash it. Closest/cheapest gas is a Love's out on I-75. I have used this station to pump out when returning from trips but rarely get fuel there because there are no dedicated RV lanes.

Because of my size and the layout of this Love's I needed to use one of the outside lanes. Even though they were not busy this involved a 25 minute wait. One old pickup truck fueled and went inside never to return, on the other end a Mom parked at pump then took her kids inside. She returned 10 minutes later, fueled, then everyone went back inside. She finally returned, got everyone buckled in, adjusted everything herself, and headed out so I could pull in.

Counting pumping my fuel, we spent over 45 minutes at this station. It wasn't the station's fault, or even the other car customer's, it was just something I had to be prepared to deal with because I was trying to fuel up a large MH in a station designed with gasoline pumps for cars.
I agree with you and have found myself in that same situation with large vehicles in the past.
Although I completely understand the folks that are very strict about what they feed their motorhome in terms of fuel there comes a point where it just doesn't make sense, not to me anyway.
In my former life I drove fleet vehicles that ran on rock gut low bid municipal gas. Never was there any fuel related problems with the vehicles with the exception of the occasional load of water that some how migrated into the storage tanks.
I guess you get the good stuff if you can and the lesser quality if you have to.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
LP is difficult and there is no one good app that I have found. In addition to FJ/Pilot stations (use their app to make sure that station sells it). I use the following three websites to plan ahead for LP.
Amerigas.com
Surburbanpropane.com
uhaul.com

Most larger commercial campgrounds also have LP and it usually is not that much more expensive to warrant searching.

The biggest problem I have found with LP is finding someone who knows how to fill an RV. One time out of three it seems that the individual does not know what they are doing. Last summer, before I knew it, one dummy had filled my tank to 100%. It took 30 minutes to bleed it down to 80%. Watch them like a hawk.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
On LP - I was surprised to learn that many UHaul locations have propane. Also, we don't often use KOA but many do have propane.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I don't use KOA much either, but they have always been happy to sell me LP if I drive in. Uhaul has a good web site that will tell you all uhaul sites with propane in your area. They are everywhere and generally easy to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4135.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	3567