Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Best Iphone apps for finding LP recharging and Gas for towing rig locations

Can anyone recommend an IPhone app for finding LP recharging locations for my Axis and GAS refueling while towing my car (long bays, cheap gas) while traveling the country?

As always, thanks a bunch.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For finding gas I use the iExit app (https://iexitapp.com/). It shows all the services available at the next exit (and all the exits ahead for that matter). Haven't checked if it also shows propane though.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I'm a little longer, especially when hooked to my mcy trailer or a tow dolly, so I always use Flying J/Pilot app to locate their facilities that have RV gasoline islands. My fuel range and propane range is so extended it is not an issue, plus I can pump out while there if I need to.

I have iExit, Waze, and some others but don't really use them much. It is like when I had my diesel truck and fiver, Pilot and/or Flying J has pretty much everything I need plus they discount my fuel.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Model: ACE
THOR #698
I second the FJ/Pilot. Most of them have RV lanes. They also have a pretty good App. I once looked up a gas station and since they list the current price, I drove a few exits into another county and saved about 6 cents a gallon.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
If you have a passenger or plan a head, do a overhead view look at the gas station you want to use to see if it has room for your RV. I have done this several times checking out different Cosco gas stations.

KC
Old 12-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Helen pns View Post
I second the FJ/Pilot. Most of them have RV lanes. They also have a pretty good App. I once looked up a gas station and since they list the current price, I drove a few exits into another county and saved about 6 cents a gallon.
I used to use FF/Pilot almost exclusively in my RV. However, after reading an article by AAA, I will not longer put non-Top Tier gasoline in my vehicles. I have too much investment in my vehicles to risk engine damage. FJ/Pilot have apparently refused so far to add the additives to their gasoline because they do not believe that there is enough "demand" for it.

AAA: Not All Gasoline Created Equal | AAA NewsRoom
Old 12-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

THOR #5246
I certainly did not know that Pilot/Flying J did not provide top tier gasoline with all the extra additives. I may investigate using some additional additives to compensate. I probably won't give up using them because they save me money, are easy/safe to get a big rig in and out of, have propane and dump facilities available, and usually parking areas open.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #8

THOR #1765
If you find that you can add aditives that will increase the cleaning power of FJ/Pilot, I would be very interested in knowing that. However, from what I have read, that is not economically feaseable.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Regarding your request for Apps, the single best that we use is GasBuddy. Once I have planned our route using Rand McNally GPS/GS trips (and after getting DW's approval :-) ), I use GasBuddy to find the best price of fuel. If I am unsure about accessibility, I use Google Maps (Google Earth and Street View) to check physical layout. All the while trying to avoid getting into a place I cannot get out of without unhooking our toad.

Another website that is useful if looking just for truck stops is https://www.truckstops.com/.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
While cheap gas may not have as many additives at the "Top Tier" gas it won't hurt your rig , at least so says AAA and some car manufacturers (Toyota for example ).
Clean fuel injectors are very important to proper engine operation and there may be less detergent in cheap stuff.
Chevron Techron is touted as one of the best injector cleaners out there and is available in Walmart and Autozone as well as many other places.
It is the exact additive that Chevron uses in their fuel and a bottle is not expensive. Added twice a year or so is said to keep the fuel system clean.
With this in mind I use the cheap gas in my Ford V10 . I stabilize the fuel when the rig will sit for a couple of months and plan to treat it to some Techron on occasion .
To me the weak link in our gas fuel systems is the generator which uses a carburetor with very small passages (small engine) and is most at risk from the ethanol gas sold at most every station.
I am lucky to have several gas stations in my area that sell ethanol free gas and I use it exclusively in all of my small engines. I don't really have that choice when on the road with the RV.
With the exception of the AAA report on cheap gas I read and the quote from a Toyota engineer contained therein the rest is my opinion based on what has worked for me in the past.

Pete
Old 12-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Agree with you Pete.

I've always heard it's a waste of money to pay the higher prices for the top tier gas companies gasoline. If you run the recommended octane rating specified for your vehicle, there should be no damage done to your engine. I always look for the least expensive gas and run the injector cleaner additive thru about every other oil change. Have never had any engine damage by doing so. The ethanol doesn't do the fuel lines or carburetors any favors in the small engines when it sits over the winter months without a stabilizer however.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

THOR #5246
When I gas up my Harley I always use either Shell or BP. The motor requires higher octane so I always figured if I am paying the higher price for 4 to 5 gallons at a time I may as well use better stuff. But that may only cost me $1 or less.

But when pumping in 60 or 70 gallons while traveling I don't mind saving $7 or $8 bucks plus knowing I am fueling up in a facility made for my size rig.

I guess it is whatever makes you feel more comfortable about your engine.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I always use BP but not for the "high quality gas"--I use BP because I have a BP credit card that usually knocks about $0.08 or more off /gallon.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #14

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
While cheap gas may not have as many additives at the "Top Tier" gas it won't hurt your rig , at least so says AAA and some car manufacturers (Toyota for example ).
Clean fuel injectors are very important to proper engine operation and there may be less detergent in cheap stuff.
Chevron Techron is touted as one of the best injector cleaners out there and is available in Walmart and Autozone as well as many other places.
It is the exact additive that Chevron uses in their fuel and a bottle is not expensive. Added twice a year or so is said to keep the fuel system clean.
With this in mind I use the cheap gas in my Ford V10 . I stabilize the fuel when the rig will sit for a couple of months and plan to treat it to some Techron on occasion .
To me the weak link in our gas fuel systems is the generator which uses a carburetor with very small passages (small engine) and is most at risk from the ethanol gas sold at most every station.
I am lucky to have several gas stations in my area that sell ethanol free gas and I use it exclusively in all of my small engines. I don't really have that choice when on the road with the RV.
With the exception of the AAA report on cheap gas I read and the quote from a Toyota engineer contained therein the rest is my opinion based on what has worked for me in the past.

Pete
Not exactly true. Read the following from AAA.

“AAA was surprised to learn the extent to which detergent additives impact gasoline quality,” revealed John Nielsen, AAA’s managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. “As advertised, tested TOP TIER gasolines kept engines remarkably cleaner than other fuels we tested.”

In response to increasing levels of carbon deposits in modern engine designs, the Environmental Protection Agency mandated a minimum level of detergent for all gasoline sold in the United States in 1996. However, some automakers believe the minimum does not go far enough to ensure optimal vehicle performance and their ability to meet increasingly-stringent fuel economy and emissions requirements. The TOP TIER program and performance standard were developed to guarantee that program participants’ gasoline meets stricter targets for engine cleanliness.

“When it comes to selecting a gasoline, automakers got it right – TOP TIER gasoline performs best,” continued Nielsen. “By selecting a quality gasoline, drivers can minimize engine deposits, increase vehicle performance and improve fuel economy.”

If AAA is right, I see little downside (besides a few pennies per gallon) from purchasing TopTier gasoline and substantial risk to your engine, especially if you keep your RV for many years, if you do not.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have been buying Top Tier gas for years and haven't found it to be more expensive than any other fuel. I use the Gas Buddy app with the Top Tier filter on and love it, a station 2 miles down the road may be 5-10 cheaper. In my area I buy mostly Shell and the stations I use are cheaper than the "cheap" gas stations! I have read the technical reports and tests, I believe there is a difference, and will continue to use Top Tier.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #16

THOR #1765
And by the way, Toyota is one of the eight car manufactures that recommends that you use only TopTier gasoline in their cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4117.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	3534  
Old 12-15-2016, 12:49 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Well I guess I must have read an old AAA report ....
That aside we will all travel to the beat of our own drums and do what we feel is best for our own particular situation .
Old 12-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #18

THOR #1765
That's why we live in a free country.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:15 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
TheTraveler - did you get enough info on your apps? I hope.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
TheTraveler - did you get enough info on your apps? I hope.
Hey bigben, yes I think so. Looks like the recommended apps are pretty good for finding the best gas prices on the route. The discussions also gave me a pretty good idea on which places will have the best size bays when I'm towing. On the propane side I'll just probably need to do local google searches. As always I appreciate all the help!