Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #21

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
There are 4 things wrong with the handling on most all gas motorhomes (class C or A), & they are in order #1 - F, #2 - O, #3 - R, #4 - D chassis. Just my .02 cents after driving Ford trucks at work for 30+ years, just the nature of the beast.

I just posted this on the other thread about poor handling.
It's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Do you think Chevy/Workhorse were much better? I doubt it. They are all trucks, not cars, meant to move gravel, not people. In high school I rode sometimes in back of an empty Chevy winch truck that was jarring.

The problem is in trying to keep costs too low. If a $30k stripped RV chassis was improved with independent front suspension, stiffer frame, and air suspension to mimic a DP, it may increase price to what, $45k at most? And if it added 10% to total cost of a Challenger, would buyers walk away?

Personally, I don't see Ford doing a significant upgrade to the F53 chassis any day soon because the volume used for RVs is too low. They have to share manufacturing with trucks to keep costs down.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I got the biggest improvements from a set of Koni FSD shocks and a SuperSteer rear track bar. I've also done CHF on front and rear and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.

The Koni's made a big difference in the harshness of the ride. They have smoothed out the ride considerably and I no longer get porpoising and bouncing while going over bridge expansion joints, etc. Track bar helped a lot with tail wag and sensitivity to passing trucks.

I'm still thinking about a set of Sumo Springs as I've still got some sway that I'd like to get rid of.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #24

State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Thanks Denvertransplant
Old 08-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #25

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Thor recommended 75 front/80 in th ebacks and it made a world of difference in handling.....no more of that following the front around the road and the truck air pressure movement has been greatly improved, The front bar adjustment hack was done before I picked it up and surely helps. But, these are handling issues, not ride.....that's still very hard and very noisy on interstates...which are pretty bad as everyone knows.