Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2016, 04:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Length Matters-DON'T let this happen to you

When it comes to sewer hoses anyway. I'm posting this under lessons learned (or word to the wise) 1st always use the high quality sewer hoses, not the cheap blue one. 2nd don't stretch the hose too tight, (waste water can be quite heavy) 3rd have adequate space to operate the sewer valve. So here's my tale, I have both types of hose as mentioned above, I have about a 6 foot section of the cheap blue hose that I use primarily at dump stations, when I just want a quick hook up to clean out the black tank. Generally when camped I use the higher quality hose. By the way the blue hose has connectors held on with hose clamps, where the good hose has the connectors built in. Anyway I get to a campsite, and kinda end up getting wedged in by the utility outlet, I could barely get to my sewer connection. Because I was so hemmed in, I decided to use the blue hose cause it was easier for me to hook up, but with only 6 feet I was stretching to get to the sewer hole. Also since I was jammed up I decided to open both the black and gray water valves, (Left side) I have another valve for the black tank (right side) that I left closed. Well this worked fine til about 5 days later when I was getting ready to leave (the gray tank was empty) but the black tank full to the brim. Well when I released the right side valve, full power went to the cheapee blue hose, (I never thought about crap having so much weight) but it blew the hose clamp right off the hose. I had a wide open valve, which emptied the tank in about 15 seconds. All over the campsite, and stunk to high heaven. What a frickin mess, I spent the next 2 hours trying to clean it up with Clorox, and lime.

Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
That by all accounts was a lesson we all need to learn from!! Doesn't pay to sometimes use inferior equipment. Thanks for sharing your story.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow, almost right out of a movie:

(Yeah ok not as incompetent as the RV movie scene but lesson learned anyway!)

We've learned the lesson about the crappy blue sewer hoses as well--not nearly so dramatic though. I had noticed my blue hoses getting small pinholes in them after only a few uses so I went to tougher, more reliable ones.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
I THINK I have solved the weak clamping problem. I also had problems with cheap hose clamp dump hoses. Either clamp failed to hold if loose or clamp cut thru hose resulting in leaks. Was throwing some old leather away and got a bright idea. I cut some strips a bit wider than clamp and just long enough to go around hose. Installed clamps with leather between clamp and hose. Leather allowed me to really crank clamp tight without damaging hose. Only time will tell - but so far it's working.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #5

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Maybe buying a good sewer hose is a good idea, you think?