Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4381
Bike Rack recommendations?

We need a bike rack that will hold 4 bikes for our ACE 30.2. Any recommendations? Any we should avoid?

Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
I use a Thule Classic 9022 for two bikes. A 4 bike model is also available. You won't want this rack if you're carrying $200 bikes (or less) from WalMart.
The easier a rack is to use, the more you will use your bikes. Visit a local bike shop and see what they have. There are many different configurations. Tray models are easy to use and secure. Bikes tend to swing on the hanging models increasing chances of damage.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I use a Thule Classic 9022 for two bikes. A 4 bike model is also available. You won't want this rack if you're carrying $200 bikes (or less) from WalMart.
The easier a rack is to use, the more you will use your bikes. Visit a local bike shop and see what they have. There are many different configurations. Tray models are easy to use and secure. Bikes tend to swing on the hanging models increasing chances of damage.
I bought the Allen Sports Deluxe 5-Bike hitch rack, and it has been serving me well.
I get 5 bikes on but its a puzzle.
two adult sized bikes
a Wee-Ride
and two 20 inch bmx style bikes

I won't be using the wee-ride any more, so getting the little 14 inch bike might be a challenge now....

My point, you wouldn't go too wrong getting a 5 bike rack for 4 bikes....
Old 06-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #4

THOR #4381
We know we want a tray model. And even our youngest has a bike higher quality than walmart (that's why we are concerned about a quality rack). We actually have 4 bikes and a Wee-Hoo carrier (it tags along behind a bike like a recumbent for our daughter with CP).
Old 06-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanVFam View Post
We know we want a tray model. And even our youngest has a bike higher quality than walmart (that's why we are concerned about a quality rack). We actually have 4 bikes and a Wee-Hoo carrier (it tags along behind a bike like a recumbent for our daughter with CP).
just curious, why do you think a tray style is "better"?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
just curious, why do you think a tray style is "better"?
Easier to mount bikes, more secure. Better for me, maybe not for others. Just my opinion based on using a lot of different racks over a 25-year period. Some begged, some borrowed, bought or built. None stolen.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #7

THOR #908
More secure, I suppose I can imagine that. Maybe less likely to bang together and such.... but 4 bike that will be a long one!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #8

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
More secure, I suppose I can imagine that. Maybe less likely to bang together and such.... but 4 bike that will be a long one!
It is a long one. My daughter and fam have the 4 bike Thule on the back of their Honda Pilot. They carry two Trek mtn bikes for their kids and their high dollar mountain bikes. So far, very good.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 AM   #9

THOR #4381
Suspended racks won't work well if some of the bikes are cruiser style ladies bikes (or kids bikes) that don't have your standard top tube. That's one of the reasons we are looking at the rack style
Old 06-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
We have a Thule rack, but not a tray style, and it works well for us.

My bike doesn't have the top cross-bar, so we picked up one that attaches to the seat post and just below the handlebar stem, and it works just fine.

I notice that you're in California -- why not head over to an REI and see their selection of racks?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I have a Yakima DoubleDown 4 bike rack (it holds 3 easily - the fourth would be tight depending on config...)
https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Double...ma+4+bike+rack
The horizontal bars swing down when not in use - and the vertical has a release to swing away from vehicle - useful if you need to access hatch, etc (they say to only do that with rack empty...)

It works great - goes into 2 inch receiver - but has a bolt that goes through the normal hitch pin and tightens the rack instead of letting it bounce around.

Also have 2 removable bars I use for bikes without the horizontal bar. One Yakima and one off brand (the off brand is actually easier to use...)
https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-800253...8VR5FP9N36WFN5

And like every Yakima rack (bike, kayak, etc) - includes a built in bottle opener... a must have feature... lol
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #12

THOR #4381
I believe the reviews on the Yakima one say that it will not hold a beach cruiser style bike and that is what type of bike momma bear rides.