Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 02:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Black/gray water tanks emptied in reverse

I tried finding an answer for this question, but I'm so exhausted from our inaugural trip I can't think straight.

I did our inaugural tank dump tonight, and all went well except that I (in my tiredness) emptied the gray tank first, fully thinking it was the black. Then I looked at the handle colors. D'oh!!!

The black tank was only between 1/3 and 1/2, and after spraying with the clean out hose all seemed to run pretty clear. Truthfully, I haven't contributed anything solid to the cause (I've been using the campground toilets about 50 yards away) so it wasn't a major clean out. I did have the gray water valve closed. And rinsing the slinky left it very clean.

Other than a sore butt from kicking myself, have I done anything majorly damaging? I can't see anything bad as I cleaned everything well. In fact, when I took off the cap tonight there was some old…umm, sludge, so either the valves can seep or I did a better job than the previous person.

Thanks for indulging a newbie.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Nope, one tank drain won't kill anything.

Just be sure to clean it out good next time and you'll be fine. If you are overly concerned find someplace local with a dump, fill the tanks and flush properly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:00 AM   #3

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Nope, one tank drain won't kill anything.

Just be sure to clean it out good next time and you'll be fine. If you are overly concerned find someplace local with a dump, fill the tanks and flush properly.

Thanks. It's probably a safe bet that won't happen again. LOL I was so focused on the connections and the draining process I just had a moment of absentmindedness with the handles. [emoji50]
Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Don't worry about.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
As we age ..we will still do dumb things......just slower...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Anybody that says they've never had a brain fart at the "valve station" is full of black tank matter. If you do it again, or if you are still hooked up to water, you can run more water into the gray tank and re-dump it, rinsing everything out. I do this often with all three tanks anyway. If we're readying to leave camp I will go ahead and fill all tanks full before dumping. You need to get a good magazine and use that "indoor plumbing". It's the benefit for having to be the "Valve Master".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If we all owned up to the mistakes that we've made over the years: nobody would have any time to complain!
Relax: you didn't hurt a thing!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
We leave our gray open and black closed. We do this because we have a w/d on board and are full time. I try to remember to close the gray the day before I am going to dump my black tank but I usually forget. What you did can't hurt anything. As long as your stinky-slinky is getting rinsed out somehow you are good to go.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
As we age ..we will still do dumb things......just slower...

And more often! The last time out, the connection pipe at the park had been melted so I could not screw it on my hose. Did the best I could but when I pulled the black valve, you guessed it. It wasn't real bad but I did stop at check out to tell them what happened and why.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1533738194
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15210917764327-leaveamark_new.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	12128  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #11

THOR #11130
ewww...that 90 degree elbow just 6 inches below ground has no mercy!!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
one thing I've learned, is to pull the GRAY water FIRST, making sure that the ground connection is secure, THEN closing it quickly, and only then pulling the BLACK tank, then washing it out with the rest of the GRAY water when it's finished.

Don't ask me why.... : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
My ACE 27.2 has the black tank in a cabinet in FRONT of the rear wheels, along with the outside shower...go figure why THAT setup.... and the two grey tanks BEHIND the rear wheels, one with a black handle, the other with grey.

The black drain does NOT connect with the grey, so do have to remove the drain hose from the black and hook it to the grey in order to drain.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Turner...never thought about that but what a great idea...I bet you learned that from "experience".
Old 08-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
as far as I know, eh ONLY reason to do it in the traditional order is to end with a cleain-sh hose and hose connection. No other reason.....so another vote for "don't worry about it"

also, yes Turner...great idea.
I'm always paranoid that I'll loose a gasket and not notice it till it's too late. i think I'll start doing this unless maybe if teh grey tank isn't very full and I need every drop to clean out the hose...but honestly that just seems theoretical and not likely.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
one thing I've learned, is to pull the GRAY water FIRST, making sure that the ground connection is secure, THEN closing it quickly, and only then pulling the BLACK tank, then washing it out with the rest of the GRAY water when it's finished.

Don't ask me why.... : /
Great idea. And I won't ask because I know why.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #17

THOR #8223
I emptied them out for the second time and did it in the "proper" order. [emoji1] When I opened the valve all the way that hose rocked and rolled so I closed it to control the flow. I didn't want a Robin Williams moment.

Every day things get easier and less daunting.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #18

THOR #11130
FYI...when opening the hoses, open them slowly first then smoothly to full open. This will prevent a violent surge possibly causing a hose to pop off of valve assembly or a burst in an unknown weak spot. Always check hose ends as well where they are connected to the plastic attachments. Most campgrounds conveniently place the sewer drain about 2 feet from your neighbors front door.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #19

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes!

the rush of water can certainly create a 'situation' you might not like - your hose outlet end coming off the outlet! I'd rather that be 'gray' water, if it does.
Gray first, then close and do Black, then finish with Gray... this way I never need to worry about 'cleaning' out the hose, it's already taken care of.

I've seen folks at dump stations, taking more time to 'carefully' rinse and clean out their hose than it took to actually dump... not fun when you're in 'line' to use the station, and more RVs are still to go.

I also don't use gloves(what!???)... how dare me!!
...when am I going to get something 'on me' when I'm dumping?
It doesn't happen. The hose is clean before I attach it. It gets 'cleaned' when I dump.

and, as you all have noticed plenty of times at dump stations, the sign that reads 'non-potable water, do not use for drinking', or similar. This is not because that 'water' comes from some 'unknown' dirty or recycled source, but it's simply because most folks are concerned that the previous 'dumpee' may have also used that water hose as attached to their RV's 'black water tank cleanout', and therefore 'might' have been exposed to some less-than-desirable elements. Or, the hose end was dropped onto the ground at the base of the sewer outlet, etc. I get it.
I think it's a little overkill, though, but enough have expressed dismay at this possibility that dump stations now add this signage, 'just in case', even if it's not that big of an issue, in reality.

by the way...have you seldom run across dump stations that already have their 'own' sewer hoses? This is nice, but I bet many folks won't use it because they think it's 'dirty', someone 'else' already used it, or it might 'contaminate' my own RV's outlet connection, as though your and my 'sewage' are somehow 'different'! wild!

I digress.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #20

THOR #11130
Every bite of food goes to the same place...whoever ate it...and it all comes out the same (mostly)!! I ditto on your process and never use gloves either...I'll wash my hands after but I know the hose I drag out is clean. My wife is a shower freak...the day we leave, I'll dump before her last shower then again after. The final rinse through the gray hose is very warm, full of soap, expensive lotions and smells pleasant...now, someone match that love for dumping!!