Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Exclamation Surprised how many people don’t take care of their trailers…

After having our 2011 19ft Zinger for a little over a month, and going through it top to bottom and getting it all cleaned up and road worthy….we finally got it out for our first “break-in” camping trip to put it through it’s paces and make sure everything worked like it should. Luckily, we didn’t have any problems…and everything worked great!!

While on our trip, we hit two different camp sites…..and I was shocked to see so many trailers that were in so poor shape. It seemed like there were two types of trailers/owners that I saw. There were the people that had brand spanking new trailers that looked like they just pulled off the lot (or they were older, and the people took really good care of them), and then most everything else looked like the owners never did a single bit of maintenance on them……black streaks down all sides, torn and ripped awnings, low/flat tires, rust spots along the metal flashing on the sides, black mildew covered roof rubber, big areas where the calking was missing or was peeling off…….no wonder why it’s so hard finding used camper trailers that are in decent shape.

Is that pretty much par for the coarse when it comes to camper trailer…..the majority of people really don’t do any maintenance on them at all?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep in mind that it doesn't take long at all for the outside of a camper to get all pasty white (from UV damage). Most people store their unit outdoors (either at their house or in some storage lot somewhere) and if it isn't covered the exterior will deteriorate rather quickly.

Add to that the fact that it takes a bit to put a coat of wax on even the smallest camper and you have the situation you are seeing: There are a few owners who wash/wax/clean/etc. and take care of their units and then there are those who just use them and put them away.

In our storage lot there is another Axis identical to ours but a year younger. If you were to look at them side by side you'd say that one is the older one..
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
It wasn't the "cosmetic" stuff that bothered me as much as the low/flat tires, missing and cracked calking, and the rusted screws and panels.......talk about a great was to let water get in and destroy a perfectly good trailer.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
One thing to keep in mind is that are an amazing number of people in this country today who have no traditional sticks and nails homes. Many because they can't afford to. Some of the trailers you are seeing are likely the owners' only home. That being the case, they probably have little funds for maintenance either. I have noticed a lot more obviously long term people in RV parks in the last few years. I'm not making an excuse for people who don't take care of their RVs. I'm simply commenting on the times. The only way to attempt to avoid this is to camp in the more upscale higher priced RV parks.

Ken
Old 07-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Also keep in mind most CG's don't let you wash campers so it is hard for someone that spends 6 to 8 months on the road or full times to keep it clean.

Our daughter just got a 2009 TT and as funds become available she is taking care of the cosmetic items like rusty screws.

There are some who don't understand how important it is to keep TT properly inflated and new tires every four years.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Is it a 2005 or 2006

Ok all of you motorhome experts, I need a decision on which year this motorhome is. The gentleman who is selling it is representing the motorhome as a 2006. He purchased the unit from another private seller. It was represented to him including the paperwork on the bill of sale from the mfg as a 2006. However, when he went to DMV to get the tags, they pulled up the vin number and said it was a 2005 unit. No matter what he told him about paper work, they said it was 2005. The difference between a 2005 and 2006 on this unit is $7,000.

As i am aware, it's common practice for manufacturers to use a 2005 chassis and call it a 2006 if it's made late enough in the year. So, in this case where the DMV says it's a 2005. If i pay 2006 prices, will i have the same problem when i try to sell it.

Which year should i pay for?

thanks. Dave
Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Affordability Issue, perhaps?

I also have to wonder if perhaps what looks to be a badly-maintained camper or trailer, could be a new (used) purchase that is being enjoyed even while the updating and maintaining is awaiting or being performed. Let's face it, and I say this as a new RV owner, owning and maintaining an RV or camper can be a real drain on the pocketbook and unlike a house, they tend to age and deteriorate fast. Our first camper was a '70's Jayco pop-up which in the first year we had it, had a run-in with carpenter ants leading to our 'do-it-yourself' rebuild since we couldn't afford a professional job. I don't fault those who can ill-afford to take a more expensive vacation for using a camper that is a bit... under the weather. We all deserve the freedom and fresh air, whether it be in a new 'tiny home' or an older, uglier version awaiting a healthier savings account.
Been in both situations/done that.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Hi Dave. When purchasing my new RV, there was a screw-up with the stock number and vin number resulting in a 7 hour wait at the dealership and a go-round with my insurance company who tried to convince me the RV of the Vin# was not the RV I was getting. I would suggest giving the vin to your insurer and see what year THEY come up with. I do know mine was 'born' in 2015, but it's a 2016 and my insurance company was right. Much paperwork had to be re-done before we could take the RV home.