Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 29kw
State: California
THOR #24729
Black water tank

I have a 2020 Thor Quantum. I broke the fitting by the black water tank. Does anyone know how the pipe goes into the tank. Glued, removable adhesive, or another way.
Thanks

Old 12-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
"fitting by the black water tank"?? What fitting? There is a 3" pipe that goes into the tank - it's normally molded with the tank. Another pipe slips over it that leads to the stop valve. This slip connection normally has butyl tape and a large "hose clamp" to clamp and seal the connection.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #3

THOR #24729
Thanks. I found some type of adhesive and was able to get the fitting out of the tank. It has an o ring that slips I into the tank.
Now I have to find a new fittings
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #4

THOR #24729
I found the replacement fitting at Zoro. It has an o ring on one end and slip on the other. Since it was put in with a sealant the inside isn’t smooth and not sure if the o ring would seal

Anyone used a rubber butyl sealant? If so, which sealant worked for you.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman1 View Post
I found the replacement fitting at Zoro. It has an o ring on one end and slip on the other. Since it was put in with a sealant the inside isn’t smooth and not sure if the o ring would seal

Anyone used a rubber butyl sealant? If so, which sealant worked for you.
Thanks
Is it an O-ring or grommet? Tank grommets are supposed to be friction tight and shouldn't need any sealant.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #6

THOR #24729
Fitting

This is the fitting. The area where the o ring should is rough with some type of rubber sealant and it may not seal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9321C2E-091A-4F3E-8144-CF1609DEC8B1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	35335  
Old 12-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman1 View Post
This is the fitting. The area where the o ring should is rough with some type of rubber sealant and it may not seal
Disclaimer: I don't know what the Mfgs or pros use.

If it were me I would apply this teflon sealant around the o ring and call it a day. I use all the time around my pool equipment which is under high pressures that you will never see in the black tank.

https://www.amazon.com/TacParts-Tefl.../dp/B01MDUYET2

You can find similar at a ACE, Lowes or even Wal Mart.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:15 AM   #8

THOR #24729
I have magic lube. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. Thanks
Old 01-04-2022, 05:14 AM   #9

THOR #24729
I used magic lube then wrapped the fitting joint with rubber butyl tape then wrapped the tape with rubber and a hose lamp. Filled tank with water. So far .. no leaks. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Nice fix! I love a good fix story.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Disclaimer: I don't know what the Mfgs or pros use.

If it were me I would apply this teflon sealant around the o ring and call it a day. I use all the time around my pool equipment which is under high pressures that you will never see in the black tank.

https://www.amazon.com/TacParts-Tefl.../dp/B01MDUYET2

You can find similar at a ACE, Lowes or even Wal Mart.
Nice will order !

This stuff works better than any one that I have found that uses silicone instead of Teflon. Silicone is used in many of the competition’s Products but the big thing about this one is that it is not really designed to make something smooth or run smoother or be a lubricant. This is a O-ring Sealant compound to give it a different description. And the reason I gave it to you on cleanup is actually a good thing that it’s the way it is what it is and possible almost to get the stuff off to you once you get it on you so if you are buying this and use it I implore you to get some nitrile gloves and use caution when applying. It says it works and for it to work it must be sticky. Like I said before this is not a lubricant so the fact that it has Teflon in there well you know it is what it is but silicone is known to degrade rubber so there you go... the best product out there I have found for a specific use and application.. simple to use: put it on the O-ring making sure it is coated (why you need the gloves) and then you put the pieces together and check for leaks, boom. Done.
Doesn’t matter if you’re in the pool business or taking care of your own, this o-ring maintenance facilitator is a must have in your kit.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:09 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
If you end up needing to replace the fitting, this is the only manufacturer:

https://www.icondirect.com/holding-t...3-hub-fitting/

$5 for the fitting and around $9 for shipping, similar prices on ebay

That plus a boatload of butyl caulk because the hose clamp won't make a good seal of the poly tank outlet against the o-ring on the fitting and it'll leak grossness the first time (ask me how I know). I basically entombed the fitting in caulk and it was fine for 2021 but it still makes me nervous.

The magic lube and butyl rubber wrap sounds like a winning combo, if I have to take it apart again this year I'd go that route. Might also wrap the whole thing in eternabond when finished.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #13

THOR #24729
Fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
If you end up needing to replace the fitting, this is the only manufacturer:

https://www.icondirect.com/holding-t...3-hub-fitting/

$5 for the fitting and around $9 for shipping, similar prices on ebay

That plus a boatload of butyl caulk because the hose clamp won't make a good seal of the poly tank outlet against the o-ring on the fitting and it'll leak grossness the first time (ask me how I know). I basically entombed the fitting in caulk and it was fine for 2021 but it still makes me nervous.

The magic lube and butyl rubber wrap sounds like a winning combo, if I have to take it apart again this year I'd go that route. Might also wrap the whole thing in eternabond when finished.
I did have to replace the fitting but it was $20 with shipping from Dyers RV Supply. If it does leak, it's where I can pull it out of the tank and I found some 2120 butyl calk after I made the repair. I have it on hand. So far it's good. Thanks for the response and source
Old 01-05-2022, 11:53 PM   #14

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Nice will order !

This stuff works better than any one that I have found that uses silicone instead of Teflon. Silicone is used in many of the competition’s Products but the big thing about this one is that it is not really designed to make something smooth or run smoother or be a lubricant. This is a O-ring Sealant compound to give it a different description. And the reason I gave it to you on cleanup is actually a good thing that it’s the way it is what it is and possible almost to get the stuff off to you once you get it on you so if you are buying this and use it I implore you to get some nitrile gloves and use caution when applying. It says it works and for it to work it must be sticky. Like I said before this is not a lubricant so the fact that it has Teflon in there well you know it is what it is but silicone is known to degrade rubber so there you go... the best product out there I have found for a specific use and application.. simple to use: put it on the O-ring making sure it is coated (why you need the gloves) and then you put the pieces together and check for leaks, boom. Done.
Doesn’t matter if you’re in the pool business or taking care of your own, this o-ring maintenance facilitator is a must have in your kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B01MDUYET2

From a H.S. Principal?? Is that not plagurism?