Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Montana
THOR #4791
Black water tank

I know this has been asked a 1k times. real quick answer please. Does the kitchen sink and shower go to the gray water tank? The toilet and bathroom sink go to the black water tank. I have a 2016 axis 24.1. The black water tank fills up quickly and the gray water very little if i can trust the tank sensors.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I don't have your model, however.....99% of RV's are plumbed so that all sinks, showers, and washing machines go into one or more gray holding tanks. The only thing that should be going into your black tank is the toilet.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
In all Vegas/Axis 24.1 the bathroom vanity sink and toilet empty into the black tank. Kitchen sink and shower drains to gray tank. Normally gray fills faster than black unless you use a lot of water to flush.

Normally I get 5 days on the black and 3 on the gray before having to dump.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
In all Vegas/Axis 24.1 the bathroom vanity sink and toilet empty into the black tank. Kitchen sink and shower drains to gray tank. Normally gray fills faster than black unless you use a lot of water to flush.

Normally I get 5 days on the black and 3 on the gray before having to dump.
This^^^^^^
Some people wash dishes in a pan and dump the dishwater in the toilet because of this. I prefer my vanity in my 30.1 to dump into the black tank.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I have a different rig, but maybe these guidelines will help.

My black tank is on the passenger side and the grey is on the drivers side.

The toilet and bathroom sink are on the passenger side, the shower and kitchen sink are on the drivers side. Guess which drains into which tank.

You got it! Toilet and bathroom sink drain into the black tank, the shower and kitchen sink into the grey.

Seems to me most RVs are plumbed this way.

BTW, I don't trust the sensors.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I have a different rig, but maybe these guidelines will help.

My black tank is on the passenger side and the grey is on the drivers side.

The toilet and bathroom sink are on the passenger side, the shower and kitchen sink are on the drivers side. Guess which drains into which tank.

You got it! Toilet and bathroom sink drain into the black tank, the shower and kitchen sink into the grey.

Seems to me most RVs are plumbed this way.

BTW, I don't trust the sensors.
That's why I installed the SeeLevel sensors. They mount on the outside of the tank and so far are accurate. Marks in every 3 percent. Easy install.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
This^^^^^^
Some people wash dishes in a pan and dump the dishwater in the toilet because of this. I prefer my vanity in my 30.1 to dump into the black tank.
The black tank in my 30.1 fills incredibly fast. This is a good idea but I'm thinking of doing it the other way around.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #8

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
I have a 31e Four Winds. Bathroom sink drains to the black water tank. Shower and kitchen sink to grey.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
All this talk about black tanks, I looked down the toilet with a flashlight today after dumping my black tank. There was lots of undigested paper still in the tank. I ran a garden hose into the coach and filled and dumped the black tank two more times to flush it. This also removed any debris stuck on the sensor so that they now work correctly.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
All this talk about black tanks, I looked down the toilet with a flashlight today after dumping my black tank. There was lots of undigested paper still in the tank. I ran a garden hose into the coach and filled and dumped the black tank two more times to flush it. This also removed any debris stuck on the sensor so that they now work correctly.

After draining and flushing my black tank at a campground I always put a couple of gallons of fresh water in (by running the bathroom sink faucet) and let it slosh around while I'm driving home. Then at home I drain and flush again and it's amazing how much paper comes out!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #11

State: Montana
THOR #4791
Thanks.I am getting 7 days on the black. I have never been over a third by the sensor for the gray water, that showers every other day and a few dish's two people. May look into new sensors.
Thanks Everybody
Old 07-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #12

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
How are the tanks set up on Challenger with 1-1/2 baths? We have 2-40 gal black and 2-40 gal grey tanks.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #13

THOR #4117
Quote:
Years ago I installed a Black Tank Flusher in my black tank. No more running a garden hose in the RV. I don't have to use it very often but it does come in handy from time to time.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #14

THOR #5246
Quote:
I would purchase a Flush King to clean my holding tanks before I would run a garden hose through my RV and spray water down the toilet. It certainly would be easier to hook a hose up outside to the Flush King and fill/rinse either tank as many times as you want.

If you are getting undigested paper still present after it has sat in the tank for several hours then you could be using the wrong butt wipe. Try Scott's RV paper sold at all Walmarts. For a comparison test put a couple folds of Scott's RV wipe in a plastic water bottle and fill half way with water. Then take another water bottle and put what you are using in it. Let both sit for a couple hours then give this a shake. Which one dissolves? There ya go. If you are using "septic tank safe" toilet paper you will eventually have black tank problems.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #15

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
How are the tanks set up on Challenger with 1-1/2 baths? We have 2-40 gal black and 2-40 gal grey tanks.
I only have one full bath, one grey tank and one black tank in my Challenger 37GT, so mine would be different. My 3 sinks, shower, and washer go into the grey, only my toilet goes into the black. My previous two RV's (Keystone Montana fivers) were plumbed the exact same way.

Unless someone responds on here with information on your exact model and how it is plumbed, you can call or email Thor Customer Service and they will send you detailed drawings of you plumbing. It is a good idea to get those and other build drawings anyway from them for your specific coach.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #16

THOR #4117
A while back I posted that I thought most RVs had the bathroom sink plumbed into the black tank.

Let me revise that to most Class C RVs are plumbed that way. I don't know about Class As or trailers.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #17

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
A while back I posted that I thought most RVs had the bathroom sink plumbed into the black tank.

Let me revise that to most Class C RVs are plumbed that way. I don't know about Class As or trailers.
My class a has the bath sink drain into the black tank. I believe it has a lot to do with the location of the sink being close to the toilet which makes it easier to plumb into the black tank.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #18

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
My Challenger has the kitchen sink and shower go to one grey tank and the washer and bathroom sinks go to another grey tank. Toilet is all that goes to my black tank.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
My Gemini, has the kitchen sink, and shower going to the grey tank, the toilet and bathroom sink going to the black tank. I wish that bathroom sink went to the grey tank, as it did in my former coach. I looking into re-plumbing it, but angles are all wrong. This setup, forces us to use the kitchen sink for things like brushing our teeth. I do shave using the bathroom sink, but try to be very frugal with water use.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Black tank plumbing

ACE 30.3 2018
Bath sink goes to black tank. Kitchen, shower, and outside kitchen sink go to grey. As far as filling too fast goes, check the plumbing at the dump valves. This unit has both 40 gallon tanks next to each other and it was delivered with the black and grey valves coming from the wrong tanks!! Manifold with valves had to be replaced. CW did the work and butchered the job. Had to re-do it my self.