Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Has anyone installed a cleanout/flushing portal in the side near the top of a blackwater tank. Maybe using a 3 or 4 inch PVC cleanout fitting with a threaded plug that would allow sticking a wand or nozzle into the tank to flush the bottom and sensors.
I would not do that. If toilet dumps straight into black tank - you can stick wand down toilet. Tank rinsing systems like Tornado can probably be purchased for less than all the parts and tools needed to install 3 or 4 inch cleanout. I can't imagine enduring the smell while cap is off and some splash coming out the hole. Any tank rinsing system would be much more convenient to use on a regular basis. If you decide to go with your idea - let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Florida
THOR #6901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
I would not do that. If toilet dumps straight into black tank - you can stick wand down toilet. Tank rinsing systems like Tornado can probably be purchased for less than all the parts and tools needed to install 3 or 4 inch cleanout. I can't imagine enduring the smell while cap is off and some splash coming out the hole. Any tank rinsing system would be much more convenient to use on a regular basis. If you decide to go with your idea - let us know how it turns out.
Good point re the smell and splash back, hmmm. Sticking a wand in thru the toilet means having to snake a hose thru a window (no windows in the bathroom) or under the coach and in the door. Cumbersome and potentially messy. There is a factory flushing system installed but it isn't very effective getting the sensors cleaned. Tanks reads 2/3 full after 3 fills and dump cycles.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #23

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I've gotta say that this is the first I've ever read of anyone having such an idea. I have not read or heard about anyone doing such a thing.

Honestly though to me, I think it would be a good idea that has merit....but not worth the risk and effort to do.

I used to design and specify industrial chemical feed system equipment, and having a large hatch or bulkhead fitting on tanks for future potential clean out and maintenance was often something that would be considered. The track record though shows that not too many folks need it in the "real world"
Old 05-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #24

THOR #6901
You're probably right - I'm going to try one of the cleaning compounds before i get all that radical. Bought can of the "Happy Camper" stuff to put in the tank and drive for a while and let it slosh around.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #25

THOR #1183
Quote:
You're probably right - I'm going to try one of the cleaning compounds before i get all that radical. Bought can of the "Happy Camper" stuff to put in the tank and drive for a while and let it slosh around.
Happy Camper website has one of the best "how to" tank clean write-ups I have seen. Here is link:
Tips For Tanks | HAPPY CAMPERS RV
Old 05-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #26

THOR #908
WORKMAN
apparently this isn't a theoretical "what-if" question, and you have some sort of issue?

If I'm reading correctly, it might be just that your tank sensors aren't working correctly. If that's all it is most folks just learn to live with it. They aren't really all that useful anyway. I'm the type of person that is bothered by something that doesn't work....so honestly I'd almost rather that the lights were never installed! Mine still work most of the time, at least sorta kinda....

I have had occasion when they didn't work right at all, and then after a did a couple rounds of fill and flush with clear water they seemed happy again.

OR....The wand through the toilet is really no big deal, and I have even dragged a hose through the door a few times just to fill the black tank with clear water faster.

Depending on your issue, you might try soaking it a few days with your chemical product, followed by drain, and then if you feel like there's still too much stuff refill with clear water and drain again...maybe repeat the clear water a time or two.

But really, it's a blackwater holding tank. No need to get it pristine!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #27

THOR #6901
You're right on the money blw, it's the sensors that bother me a bit. Actually it is kind of a theoretical question. It seems like an easy installation. Just not sure it would be worth while.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #28

THOR #6901
Thank ctpres - good information.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #29

THOR #1183
blw2 did you ever wonder why SOME have no problems? Guess we are just one of the lucky ones OR maybe we are doing something right.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #30

THOR #908
Quote:
You're right on the money blw, it's the sensors that bother me a bit. Actually it is kind of a theoretical question. It seems like an easy installation. Just not sure it would be worth while.
yeah, I'd guess that if you can access the tank easily on the correct side, up high or wherever it needs to be, then it would be a very easy thing to do likely, and could prove useful on occasion....
Old 05-18-2017, 12:48 AM   #31

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
blw2 did you ever wonder why SOME have no problems? Guess we are just one of the lucky ones OR maybe we are doing something right.
nah, I'd say i'm neither lucky nor am I doing it all right. My tank lights are hit and miss, although they do seem to work better than some.....and I do own a wand so that tells you that I have had some minor issues.
Mostly I think the key is to learn to let it go and ignore the fact that you have a feature that does not work as it should.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #32

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
We have the tank flushers on our new motorhome and we also had them on our fifth-wheel. Even with those, we still did/do the old "run the hose in the toilet until it runs clear" thing. When we were full-time, we did it every other time if we were stationary. I even bought one of those attachments for the hose that works kinda like the Tornado.

The sensors never worked on the black tank and galley tank in our fiver. We didn't worry about it. Just dumped it every week.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #33

THOR #6901
I have the flusher on the MH - and like you said the Black water sensors don't work. I did get it down to a third full the other day but the very next time I flushed the bowl it went to two thirds, I have been told I was full of it - but thought it was just an expression. Maybe there is some truth to it though.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #34

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
Quote:
Good point re the smell and splash back, hmmm. Sticking a wand in thru the toilet means having to snake a hose thru a window (no windows in the bathroom) or under the coach and in the door. Cumbersome and potentially messy. There is a factory flushing system installed but it isn't very effective getting the sensors cleaned. Tanks reads 2/3 full after 3 fills and dump cycles.
We were able to "fix" our sensors by filling the black tank about 1/3 full (with clean water) and then putting some (like 12-15) ice cubes in there and driving around for 2-3 minutes. Emptied it and it was good to go. YMMV.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:36 AM   #35

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
We were able to "fix" our sensors by filling the black tank about 1/3 full (with clean water) and then putting some (like 12-15) ice cubes in there and driving around for 2-3 minutes. Emptied it and it was good to go. YMMV.
Don't know how big your black tank is, but mine is 90 gals I think, so 12-15 ice cubes on a warm day would be like spitting in the ocean. I think if you put 5-10 lbs of ice it might help the sensors til I filled it the next time. Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #36

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Don't know how big your black tank is, but mine is 90 gals I think, so 12-15 ice cubes on a warm day would be like spitting in the ocean. I think if you put 5-10 lbs of ice it might help the sensors til I filled it the next time. Just my .02 cents.
The tank was 25 gallons. We would do it like every 2-3 months- we lived in the unit full time. We did it on a cooler day (50-60 degrees) or at night during the summer. Obviously, you'd use much more ice for a larger tank. Just offering it as a suggestion as it worked to keep our sensors working.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #37

THOR #10991
when you are ready to clean it, fill with water and dump in 10 pounds of ice, drive a bit..the ice cubes will clean inside, melt and drain it
Old 07-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's a good idea, and Welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergen View Post
when you are ready to clean it, fill with water and dump in 10 pounds of ice, drive a bit..the ice cubes will clean inside, melt and drain it
Doesn't really work that well..
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #40

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I agree with Jamie x2!!! Doesn’t work well at all, just a waster of beer chillin!

Tags
black tank issues, sewer