Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Blue Ox Patriot braking system

Does anyone know how to charge the battery on the Patriot braking system? I’m at a total loss on this. Thanks

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Does anyone know how to charge the battery on the Patriot braking system? I’m at a total loss on this. Thanks
What’s the manual say? More than likely through the TOADs 12VDC system.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Ours has a cigarette type connector, plug it into your dash.

Our jeep has 1 outlet that stays on all the time, which will run the toad battery down.
Hopefully the the person that setup your lights up installed a charge wire from the mh.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #4

THOR #4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What’s the manual say? More than likely through the TOADs 12VDC system.

Manual doesn’t give instructions how to charge just says charge every 3-4 month. But I believe your right on the 12VDC in the TOAD. I don’t see any other way. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

THOR #4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Ours has a cigarette type connector, plug it into your dash.

Our jeep has 1 outlet that stays on all the time, which will run the toad battery down.

Hopefully the the person that setup your lights up installed a charge wire from the mh.

Thanks, appreciate your suggestion.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Every time you use it the battery is charged by the 12 VDC plug. I believe the advice to charge it every 3 to 4 months is if it is NOT being used.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Ace is correct. The system will drawn down the towed battery on long trips. I had to run a 12v wire from the MH to the toad, through the firewall, to the brake system - a long and ardious story.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
That’s one nice thing about InvisiBrake. Run with lights on and InvisiBrake charges the TOAD batteries no separate line required although my installer includes one at no extra charge.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I don't have the BO system so my comments might be irrelevant. I am setting up the RVi3 for the Ram toad. The braking unit itself isn't charged but does take power. The tablet and puck in the motorhome have internal batteries that need recharging when low. For the braking unit it's plugged into a toad 12v source, not USB type, using the Ram 12v systems to power it. The Ram battery has a 12v charge line so it's recharged by the motorhome alternator while driving. The tablet and puck can be plugged into any convenient motorhome 12 connector, round or USB types, to get power and recharge.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
That’s one nice thing about InvisiBrake. Run with lights on and InvisiBrake charges the TOAD batteries no separate line required although my installer includes one at no extra charge.
Pin #4 on your 7-pin connector supplies 12 volts from the host MH. I did my own install and wiring for the Invisibrake, and wired mine so it receives power from that. It also supplies a charge to the toad battery. If wired properly, an aux. brake/tail light setup should never run the toad battery down. It's puzzling why this happens so often - unless some of these "installers" are taking shortcuts...
Old 07-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Pin #4 on your 7-pin connector supplies 12 volts from the host MH. I did my own install and wiring for the Invisibrake, and wired mine so it receives power from that. It also supplies a charge to the toad battery. If wired properly, an aux. brake/tail light setup should never run the toad battery down. It's puzzling why this happens so often - unless some of these "installers" are taking shortcuts...
Because most/many brake light wiring solutions are a 4 pole flat with no charge line that you get with a 6 or 7 connector.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #12

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Because most/many brake light wiring solutions are a 4 pole flat with no charge line that you get with a 6 or 7 connector.
I'd classify that as a "shortcut"... if towing 4-down, really should upgrade to a 7-pin.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
... if towing 4-down, really should upgrade to a 7-pin.
Can't find a reason to do that. Thor, for whatever reason, just put a 4-flat on my MH.
My Sonic toad has the "extra bulb" tail light kit which uses a 4-flat connector.
My Colorado toad uses wireless tail lights and the transmitter has 4-flat on one end and 7-round on the other.
My Blue Ox Patriot 3 brake system has never used more than 8 AH of battery capacity on a 6 hour tow (probably less than 6 AH) so I don't need a charge line.

That appears to be an upgrade searching for a reason. I've got plenty of other repairs/mods/upgrades on the list to keep me busy when I get a few more round tuits.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
And most installer charge extra to. install a charge line with in-line fuse because it is not part of the brake or light kits.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Can't find a reason to do that. Thor, for whatever reason, just put a 4-flat on my MH.
My Sonic toad has the "extra bulb" tail light kit which uses a 4-flat connector.
My Colorado toad uses wireless tail lights and the transmitter has 4-flat on one end and 7-round on the other.
My Blue Ox Patriot 3 brake system has never used more than 8 AH of battery capacity on a 6 hour tow (probably less than 6 AH) so I don't need a charge line.

That appears to be an upgrade searching for a reason. I've got plenty of other repairs/mods/upgrades on the list to keep me busy when I get a few more round tuits.
Now that's just CHEATING! Wireless tail lights?? That's some kind of witchcraft or black magic!!