Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Blackwater Sewer Cleanout - Sewer Solution System

Anybody tried out this gizmo? Looks like it would have some advantages on traditional gravity feed dump.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01...sewer+solution

Old 03-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Oregon
THOR #4145
Yeah, I switched over to the Sewer Solution approximately 1 year ago, and I wouldn't go back to a 3" stinky-slinky hose EVER! It really does a good job, and it takes up a lot less storage room. You have to have access to water (under pressure), so it won't work out in the boonies. That's O.K. with me, because we're "glampers" anyway.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

THOR #6877
Good to know, thanks!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I was considering it as well, but a friend has it & quit using it cause it took so much more time (like 45 minutes) to dump the black tank til it ran clear, is that your findings as well.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I have used it for many years and prefer it over an electric macerator (which is sitting in my basement attic at home). It does take longer to empty the black tank, but the hose is very clean when done. I still carry 3" hose when at a campground with no sewers (rare). My current Hurricane 35m has 2 black tanks, so I have 2 Sewer Solutions hooked up into one.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #6

THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I have used it for many years and prefer it over an electric macerator (which is sitting in my basement attic at home). It does take longer to empty the black tank, but the hose is very clean when done. I still carry 3" hose when at a campground with no sewers (rare). My current Hurricane 35m has 2 black tanks, so I have 2 Sewer Solutions hooked up into one.
Good info, thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I haven't used one personally but have read posts by plenty over the years by folks that have on several different forums.

I see it as a solution for use say at your house or other unique situations.... not a dump station tool.
I think they make sense if you need to span a distance or go slightly up hill....but for the typical dump station it's like a solution in search of a problem. Seems like it adds time and complexity...and makes others waiting in line behind you at the dump station wait.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Just wondered why you prefer the SS over the electric one...Haven't used either, and just wanted your opinions/experiences...
Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I haven't used one personally but have read posts by plenty over the years by folks that have on several different forums.

I see it as a solution for use say at your house or other unique situations.... not a dump station tool.
I think they make sense if you need to span a distance or go slightly up hill....but for the typical dump station it's like a solution in search of a problem. Seems like it adds time and complexity...and makes others waiting in line behind you at the dump station wait.
You are 100% correct - it is not useful at a dump station. Rather, it is an attractive solution at full-hookup sites (or at home). There is no need for sewer hose supports (which rarely work correctly), and it also backflushes to make sure that the end of the sewer pipe is clean.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #10

THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Just wondered why you prefer the SS over the electric one...Haven't used either, and just wanted your opinions/experiences...
It is awkward to get the 12v macerator into place in the sewer bay(s), and you have to run a heavy cable over to your house batteries in order to work the system. The instructions tell you to not have it on for extended periods of time or it will overheat. Finally, I have had several occasions where toilet paper clogged up the impeller and I had to take it apart to clean it out.

Since my new Hurricane has two black tanks, I would have to move it from one tank to the other. With my 2 Sewer Solutions, this is not an issue. For me, it works.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Anybody tried out this gizmo? Looks like it would have some advantages on traditional gravity feed dump.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01...sewer+solution
Just go buy a good sewer hose and forget about it, thousands of rvers have used them for decades with no problems!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 AM   #12

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
About 50,000 miles and over 200 campgrounds with Sewer Solutions. Not one failure. All original parts still in use. With Happy Camper tank treatment we can dump black with NO extra water. Need longer reach - 1" PVC pipe will fit on end of dump fitting. With a couple more PVC fittings we use a Harbor Freight fifty foot 3/4 inch hose when the original 10 foot hose won't reach. Then we resort to 1" PVC for the really long runs. Two gray tanks and only one Sewer Solutions. Need to pump uphill a couple feet. It works. If camp or tank water is used to dump black it only take one gal per ten gal of tank water. Never use extra water to dump gray water. I see others using that much to clean hose. In all the years we have been using it I don't think we lost a drop due to system leaks while dumping.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #6523
We were debating between the Sewer Solution & Tornado and found this comparison of the different products by The Fit RV interesting. Especially the tests showing clear hose & connectors vs what was left in the tank.

https://youtu.be/dfTd0Slt_cU
Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #14

THOR #6877
Wow, that pretty much shows Sewer Solutions is out, Tornado in!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #15

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I have also read reviews and not all are satisfied with the Tornado.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl
I have also read reviews and not all are satisfied with the Tornado.
Yeah the Tornado can be mounted in the wrong place, or its jets can be clogged (I think that is mentioned in the video above), or the hole through the tank can start to leak, etc. When you look at it it is a pretty cheap piece of plastic.

Any solution will have its pluses and minuses.

We had a 5th wheel for 10 years with none of the above: just good maintenance, use chemicals and lots of water..never had an issue with it.

I had the tornado installed in the Axis because the black tank is "right there" making its installation pretty easy so I figured "what the heck, I'll try it".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #17

THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah the Tornado can be mounted in the wrong place, or its jets can be clogged (I think that is mentioned in the video above), or the hole through the tank can start to leak, etc. When you look at it it is a pretty cheap piece of plastic.

Any solution will have its pluses and minuses.

We had a 5th wheel for 10 years with none of the above: just good maintenance, use chemicals and lots of water..never had an issue with it.

I had the tornado installed in the Axis because the black tank is "right there" making its installation pretty easy so I figured "what the heck, I'll try it".
good to know Jamie, thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #6523
We came to similar conclusions after our research, JamieGeek. No solution is flawless; they will all have pluses & minuses, some more and some less in both categories. Agree with the Axis black tank being "right there", may as well give it a try, making sure to mount it in the most optimum location.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Wow, that pretty much shows Sewer Solutions is out, Tornado in!
Sewer Solutions is NOT a tank rinsing system. Even manual says so. Tornado is an in tank rinsing system. SS is a tank dump system with added feature of MAYBE rinsing tank depending on bends in dump pipes. In many cases it will clean dump valve which is something Tornado can't do.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #20

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Florida
THOR #6901
Has anyone installed a cleanout/flushing portal in the side near the top of a blackwater tank. Maybe using a 3 or 4 inch PVC cleanout fitting with a threaded plug that would allow sticking a wand or nozzle into the tank to flush the bottom and sensors.

Tags
black tank issues, sewer